The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
May 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,126 of 1,799
Quote:
Hi again guys,
Loving the WS99's but just had a quick question. 
Is it possible to use the microphone cable, and have a Mic and headphones kind of thing straight out of my computer?
As in can I just plug my headphones in the aux port, and have capabilities of using a mic as well as use the headphones?
This isn't working for me though! haha
Is there something else I need to do in my settings or something?

Cheers

No, you need to buy an adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Buddy-Adapter-Smartphone-01-PH35-PC35/dp/B00332DPDG

May 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #1,127 of 1,799
Do you want a DAP? Ie music player + dac + amp all in one? If so, check out the new Fiio X3, X5 or the ibasso DX50.

Sounds good, thanks. I had no idea about those. I really like using my phone as a music player though...so I can hear it ring.

May 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,128 of 1,799
Quote:
Sounds good, thanks. I had no idea about those. I really like using my phone as a music player though...so I can hear it ring.

I really like NOT using my phone as a music player so that I DON'T hear it ring lol!

Actually, I used my phone as my music player for a couple of years. But battery life was always a concern (if my phone dies, I die). So I ended up getting a clip zip which I rockboxed. And truth be told, I have been so happy with the SQ out of that little thing, that I never miss using my phone for music (except for streaming).

May 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #1,129 of 1,799
Quote:
If you all haven't had the chance, give the WS99s a spin with Daft Punk's new album. It's almost as though the album was crafted specifically with these headphones in mind.

The instrumentation, the separation, the clarity, the BASS. Just....wow.

One of the best engineered mainstream albums in over a decade.

Got it! Better be good!
beerchug.gif

May 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #1,130 of 1,799
Quote:

Oh ok, thanks for that.
Well... something really weird just happened to my computers audio output jack. It can't play the music properly anymore. I think its the connection or something. Anyways I think its worth investigating a DAC such as the ELE or something, because this has happened more than once.
Where to look? What to look for? Could anyone give me a hand here? 
Also would that adapter also work through the DAC? So if I plug it into the DAC and the mic out put?

Cheers guys

May 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,133 of 1,799
Can anyone chime in on how well the WS99 handles non-EDM music?  90% of the music I listen to is EDM, and the rest is various music I deem "good."  How would they handle something like Colbie Caillat?

I understand they are a "solid bass" headphone, with a greater emphasis on *quality* of bass, rather than quantity.  I also recall reading that some wouldn't exactly call them a "basshead" headphone.  This sounds like exactly what I'm after; something that makes EDM fun to listen to.  My daily driver is currently a pair of Shure SE215, which I have been very happy with.  I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD280.  In the past I've owned Grado SR80 and SR225, UE Super.fi 5 Pro, Shure SE100 and SE1115.  I've been around high quality audio for the better part of 15 years now, and I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what sounds good.  I am (thankfully) long since over my uber-audiophile stage, where I'm constantly spending ungodly amounts of money in pursuit of an extra tenth of a percent of SQ.  Now I just want something that sounds good and is fun to listen to.  

Other headphones I'm considering:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
Sony MDR-1R
V-Moda M100
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG K550

Thoughts?

May 27, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #1,134 of 1,799
Quote:

I really like NOT using my phone as a music player so that I DON'T hear it ring lol!

Actually, I used my phone as my music player for a couple of years. But battery life was always a concern (if my phone dies, I die). So I ended up getting a clip zip which I rockboxed. And truth be told, I have been so happy with the SQ out of that little thing, that I never miss using my phone for music (except for streaming).

You know sometimes I leave my phone in the van when I'm working (carpet cleaning).  I would like to see a roundup of the best combo amp/dac/music players.  I would want the best one.  Are there any others to consider...or are those 2 it for now?

May 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,135 of 1,799
Oh okay, so any recommendations on a dac? I heard it was alright but not sure if it is? Any opinions on it?

Cheera

Check Hifimediy Sabre Dac. It is a very good dac for a very low price.

May 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,137 of 1,799
Quote:
Can anyone chime in on how well the WS99 handles non-EDM music?  90% of the music I listen to is EDM, and the rest is various music I deem "good."  How would they handle something like Colbie Caillat?

I understand they are a "solid bass" headphone, with a greater emphasis on *quality* of bass, rather than quantity.  I also recall reading that some wouldn't exactly call them a "basshead" headphone.  This sounds like exactly what I'm after; something that makes EDM fun to listen to.  My daily driver is currently a pair of Shure SE215, which I have been very happy with.  I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD280.  In the past I've owned Grado SR80 and SR225, UE Super.fi 5 Pro, Shure SE100 and SE1115.  I've been around high quality audio for the better part of 15 years now, and I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what sounds good.  I am (thankfully) long since over my uber-audiophile stage, where I'm constantly spending ungodly amounts of money in pursuit of an extra tenth of a percent of SQ.  Now I just want something that sounds good and is fun to listen to.  

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
Sony MDR-1R
V-Moda M100
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG K550

Thoughts?

I think they are far from a one-trick pony.

I bought these cans to use at work as all-arounders and they are filling that roll nicely. I appreciate how much the rich low end fills out a lot of the music I listen to without stepping on the mids. At work I probably only listen to 25% Electronic and the rest ranges from Female Vocals to Jazz. I also appreciate that the highs are a bit forgiving because I am sensitive to sibilance and excessive brightness. They are not dark, just no uncomfortable peaks. What is the greatest about these WS99s is that they sound well balanced with a solid low end with a wide range of music and if I want to blow my head off with impact or give myself a scalp massage I can engage the bass boost on my Cmoy BB and it delivers insane bass with no obvious distortion or bottoming out (up to my volume tolerance).

I have large ears so when I first got them the combination of clamp and new pads became uncomfortable after an hour or so. I have had them for few weeks now and even with glasses I can go 2-3 hours without a break.

Of the cans you are looking at I have only heard the M50s and the K550. I prefer the WS99 to both. I bought the M50 for my brother and have borrowed them a few times. Pads are bigger but not much more comfortable. The sound was good but I can't recall anything really standing out. The K550s were more comfortable than the WS99 and the M50 but lacked bass (for bassy genres) and something in the mids/highs sounded off to me IMO. Mind you, I only spend 20 min with the K550 so YMMV.

The only concern I would have if if you have large ears or ears that stick out and you want to be able to wear headphones for 6-8 hours straight you might want a larger circumaural headphone.

I am no expert on Colbie Caillat but "Bubbly" sound pretty awesome on the WS99.

May 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,138 of 1,799

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
Sony MDR-1R
V-Moda M100
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG K550

Thoughts?

I have the 1r, and ws99, and I prefer the ws99 sound wise, but its reeeeeeealy close. I have to try the dynamat mod and its said that they get much clearer, and the bass tightens up.

May 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,139 of 1,799
Quote:
I think they are far from a one-trick pony.

I bought these cans to use at work as all-arounders and they are filling that roll nicely. I appreciate how much the rich low end fills out a lot of the music I listen to without stepping on the mids. At work I probably only listen to 25% Electronic and the rest ranges from Female Vocals to Jazz. I also appreciate that the highs are a bit forgiving because I am sensitive to sibilance and excessive brightness. They are not dark, just no uncomfortable peaks. What is the greatest about these WS99s is that they sound well balanced with a solid low end with a wide range of music and if I want to blow my head off with impact or give myself a scalp massage I can engage the bass boost on my Cmoy BB and it delivers insane bass with no obvious distortion or bottoming out (up to my volume tolerance).

+1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back