The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Apr 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #841 of 1,799
Quote:
^ never heard the m50s but people say that even the JVC S500 are better and can more than hang with those m50s. These ws99 is a complete upgrade to the S500s so you do the math.

Sadly these ws99s just folds flat but does not fold up, so you will need a wide flat case to fit these.

Really? I had the WS55 and I thought the S500 were an upgrade on them.....so AT really must have improved the design.

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #843 of 1,799
I had the M50 LE for a time and they were so satisfying Amped..
The ws99 are an obvious upgrade in every sense as well as more portable, but you may be happy or prefer the m50 sound wich has more top end prominence, maybe bordering too much.
There is no can out that has the ws99 signature bass wich comes alive in varying degrees linearly according to the song.

Thanks for your input. I guess I'll go with the WS99s once they come back in stock from Amazon. Hopefully they go back down to around $190.

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #844 of 1,799
Quote:
Pro700Mk2 to me was everything wrong with ATs older sound in the opposite direction. Instead of the overly sharp older peaky house sound. These was the complete opposite in that they were too dark and lacked any real detail.  It was ATs attempt at Bass heavy monitor. No offense but I hated that can..Dark, slow bass signature is one thing but too much bass with mids and highs that float on the bass with little definition is not my idea of a good bass can.

The WS99 will give you some extras with your bass. These will be somewhat tame compared to the Pro700MK2s sheer quantity of bass.. But will be very satisfactory in a new direction. Hows about some quality fast bass for once.. Hows about some nicely detailed highs and very nice deep mids where most of your music comes from. See this is the area that most bass cans just can't get it right but the WS99 shines here in spades. To me this is a bass can done right.. You can do more than just bass heavy music on these. Not so much on the ProMK2s..The Pro700MK2 remain the only can that I returned from AT ever..The WS99 is on a completely different level over the MK2s in over all quality of sound including the bass.

Where the WS99 will lack in quantity vs MK2s, it will make up for it in letting you actually hear what your music should sound like. If your curious about getting these. These are what the ProMk2s should have been. Give them a try it will surprise you just how much better the WS99 will sound for all your music..Dynamics such as speed, clarity, detail, and depth. can described the sound on the WS99.. ProMK2? I don't think so.

They do need amping to sound better but.. You will understand once you hear them. lol. Reread my post once you get them. Oh by the way.  They also happen to have a vice like grip. I ain't even joking about that. We are talking squeeze your eyeballs out vice like I have never experienced.  They loosen up a bit with stretching but before you even get them to that point you will understand. Especially compared to the WS99.

Got my Pro700Mk2's yesterday.

Dsnuts, you are so right! Sound is all bass, and distorted bass on initial listening. And the vice like grip, It was causing a pain in my upper neck area, it was that tight.

Is there a way to fix the clamping force??

I am going to try the M50 pads that others have used to see if that makes a difference. Also I'll try some burn it to see if that makes a difference in sound. 

I'll try listening to them some more but with the out of the box experience, I was not happy.  Got them from Amazon as used-like new, so probably will return if things don't change. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #845 of 1,799
Really? I had the WS55 and I thought the S500 were an upgrade on them.....so AT really must have improved the design.

Never heard the ws55s but everyone that have both says these ws99s are a substantial upgrade from the 55s. These ws99s go for like 2.5x of the ws55, so they better be, and you might be right that the S500s is already an upgrade to those ws55s, like a said you do the math.........

@Carlsan

damn that sucks to hear, you should definitely return them if I was you, and they ain't that cheap.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #846 of 1,799

Dsnuts, y
ou are so right! Sound is all bass, and distorted bass on initial listening. And the vice like grip, It was causing a pain in my upper neck area, it was that tight.

I am going to try the M50 pads that others have used to see if that makes a difference. Also I'll try some burn it to see if that makes a difference in sound. 

I'll try listening to them some more but with the out of the box experience, I was not happy.  Got them from Amazon as used-like new, so probably will return if things don't change. 

That's why you never question the all mighty Dsnuts!

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #847 of 1,799

Dsnuts, y
ou are so right! Sound is all bass, and distorted bass on initial listening. And the vice like grip, It was causing a pain in my upper neck area, it was that tight.

Just return them.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #848 of 1,799
Quote:

Dsnuts, you are so right! Sound is all bass, and distorted bass on initial listening. And the vice like grip, It was causing a pain in my upper neck area, it was that tight.

Ya I have no idea what AT was thinking when they made these. The vice clamp is unbearable..I don't think they would fit a 5 year old kid let alone an adult sized head. The funny thing is.. These were made to be monitors..? How is anyone gonna monitor anything when all you hear is bass.. Almost non existent highs and mids..Get your cash back and save up for the new JVC SZ2000.. That is what I would do with that cash.. ATs darkest sounding can to date. Not one of ATs greatest that is for certain..  A breath of fresh air it ain't.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #849 of 1,799
Apr 26, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #850 of 1,799
Oh I don't know about that, I am wrong all the time. I got a whole box full of wrongs that is collecting dust at the moment..Lol..You don't get right until you tried a whole bunch of wrongs.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #852 of 1,799
Quote:
How are the isolation on the WS99s? Are they better than the M50s at isolating? Also, do the ear pads go all the way around your ears or on them?

I don't know about the isolation, but they are definitely over-ear. I've heard that they might not have enough depth for some people if their ears stick out more than average.

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #853 of 1,799
The isolation is just so-so. Tried using it as portable for the first time, definitely the first and the last it will go out. I've tried it in noisy train environment though, so its expected. Even some dynamic IEM also fail this test.
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #855 of 1,799
Quote:
Some pics of the WS99's little sibling, WS77.  The WS77 on right.  

Sheesh - spot the lucky guy that just got in a new tenso shipment lol!

Very cool. I know nothing about the WS77's, but I'm sure I'm going to be finding out more about them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back