The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Apr 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #783 of 1,799
Sry I meant the Sony MDR 1

Consider the sony 1r a smooth mid centric can wich is also one of my keepers.
That being said, consider the ws99 more durable yet not as light,
And consider the sound being a factor of 4-5 times greater in every department.

I current own ultrasone pro 900.   Are any of those cans you mentioned considering an upgrade? (For rock/metal)
not for portable use.
Although the cans mentioned by DemonFox are excellent in their own right.
All those cans mentioned are just so different being closed and open and in impedance so I do believe the cans you have are just as excellent but none listed are as portable as the ws99.

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #785 of 1,799
My beautiful WS99s have finally arrived! So this is what the honeymoon period feels like. :D Btw, a person has asked me the full logistics behind the Amazon.jp --> Tenso --> Oceania region, so I'll detail my experience here so it it might help anyone else in Australia/New Zealand region who wants more info about it.

I ordered it from Amazon on the 15th of April at around 6pm. Tenso received and emailed me the package on the 17th April at 7:30pm and I paid later that night. Tenso shipped it internationally to me the next day (18th April) at 6pm (they send their packages in batches every scheduled time, it says on their website when they're sending the next batches of shipments).

It arrived in Australia on the 21st April at 8:52am (Sunday) and was delivered to my front door today (Monday) on the 22nd April at around 2pm, the time when the local postman comes around. My EMS tracking says it was ready to be dispatched by 7am so it'll be delivered to your house when your local postman gets around your area.

As for the costs: It costs [size=small]¥15,271 so just covert it your currency +3% currency exchange surcharge on your credit card with free delivery to Tenso. Although Amazon.jp estimated that the weight was 907g, Tenso actually reported it was 1140g so the shipping costs was [/size][size=small]¥2800 EMS fee + [/size][size=small]¥980 service fee = [/size][size=small]¥3780 in total (of course, +3% currency exchange service charge again). [/size]I[size=small]n total, it costs me around $190AU, roughly the same as if I'd bought it from CDJapan, give or take a few dollars. [/size]

[size=small]That said, Tenso was extremely efficient in identifying identity and very efficient in all aspects of payment and shipment. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use their services again.[/size]

[size=small]Hope that helps! [/size]

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #788 of 1,799
I don't really have time to write much right now, I just have to say that E12 + WS99 is OK on its own. You do lose a little bit of soundstage and the sound is a little more intimate.

However E12 + ELE DAC + WS99 = Pure Awesome

Any loss of sound stage seems to disappear for some reason, not really sure why. I think maybe its the renewed sparkle in the highs that the ELE gives to the sound that opens things back up wide again. 

Whatever it is, that combination has one of the best sounds I've ever heard in a amp/DAC/can combination. 

(NOTE, this is the E12 V.1 with bass boost ON)

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #790 of 1,799
Quote:
can anyone comment on how suitable they are for classical orchestra?

They're very capable for Classical. However if that's all you listen to, you might want to select a different headphone. I'm a big fan of the Baroque style and I find that although everything is faithfully reproduced, I want a little more...space. With the forward manner that the mids and lower highs are presented in the WS99, your violas and violins tend to dominate the sound at times. Then again, with the bass of the WS99, on a piece like Albinoni's Adagio for strings and organ in G Minor, the organ is truly moving. 

I don't think that's a short coming of the WS99 necessarily, just a function of it being a closed can. Although I haven't heard them yet, I think if you're looking for a better classical option with some of the characteristics of the WS99, you're probably better off with the AD900X.

In the end, if classical is just one of the genres you enjoy, the WS99 is an all arounder that can't be beat. I'm listening to Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute & Jazz Piano right now...it's unbelieveable. The detail, the separation, it's letting me enjoy this album that I've known all of my life (it was one of my father's favorites) in a whole new way.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #791 of 1,799
Hold on that previous thought. I just went back to listen to some more baroque music. This time however, I turned on the crossfeed on my E12...totally different experience. The spaciousness I was looking for is there now. I still say that an open headphone like the AD900X would probably be better for classical, but with this crossfeed option, the WS99 is proving more than capable.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #792 of 1,799
Quote:
I don't really have time to write much right now, I just have to say that E12 + WS99 is OK on its own. You do lose a little bit of soundstage and the sound is a little more intimate.

However E12 + ELE DAC + WS99 = Pure Awesome

Any loss of sound stage seems to disappear for some reason, not really sure why. I think maybe its the renewed sparkle in the highs that the ELE gives to the sound that opens things back up wide again. 

Whatever it is, that combination has one of the best sounds I've ever heard in a amp/DAC/can combination. 

(NOTE, this is the E12 V.1 with bass boost ON)

May i ask, what is your source.  I have a sansa clip zip, ipod touch 4g, and galaxy player 5 but i don't think any of those can use a dac.  Are there any mp3 players <$100 that support digital output?!!

Man these ws99s are taking forever!!

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #793 of 1,799
Quote:
Hold on that previous thought. I just went back to listen to some more baroque music. This time however, I turned on the crossfeed on my E12...totally different experience. The spaciousness I was looking for is there now. I still say that an open headphone like the AD900X would probably be better for classical, but with this crossfeed option, the WS99 is proving more than capable.

thank you. i listen about 50 % to classical orchestra and the other 50 % to amiant and chillout eletronic music.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #794 of 1,799
Quote:
They're very capable for Classical. However if that's all you listen to, you might want to select a different headphone. I'm a big fan of the Baroque style and I find that although everything is faithfully reproduced, I want a little more...space. With the forward manner that the mids and lower highs are presented in the WS99, your violas and violins tend to dominate the sound at times. Then again, with the bass of the WS99, on a piece like Albinoni's Adagio for strings and organ in G Minor, the organ is truly moving. 

I don't think that's a short coming of the WS99 necessarily, just a function of it being a closed can. Although I haven't heard them yet, I think if you're looking for a better classical option with some of the characteristics of the WS99, you're probably better off with the AD900X.

In the end, if classical is just one of the genres you enjoy, the WS99 is an all arounder that can't be beat. I'm listening to Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute & Jazz Piano right now...it's unbelieveable. The detail, the separation, it's letting me enjoy this album that I've known all of my life (it was one of my father's favorites) in a whole new way.

I wouldn't mind trying out some classical with the WS99's and AD900X's (and with my sources and amps). If possible, could you or sofastreamer please provide me with a link to something that you think I should try? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back