The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Apr 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #601 of 1,799
Quote:
Should I get a fiio e11?

I agree 100% with what DemonFox said above. The E11 is a very decent portable amp, and for the price you can get it for, it can serve as a great introduction into amps. Or for a definite upgrade, the C&C is a great option (another bonus with it is the 80 hour battery life, and the fact that it can used while being charged). I haven't tried the 99's with the C&C yet, but there is a reasonable chance that there will be a good C&C/WS99 synergy.

But, if you are thinking about getting the E11 for just the WS99's, I'm not sure it's worth it because the WS99's don't need any amping - at least they don't out of my clip zip or my $20 ele dac. They sound friggin' amazing straight out of the ele dac actually. The E11 is fairly transparent, and the 99's sound great out of the E11 (and you get the added benefit of playing with the bass boost button if you don't want to be playing with your EQ). But to be honest, I think that I might prefer the 99's straight out of the ELE DAC as opposed to with the E11. My main point is that the 99's sound great without an amp imo.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #603 of 1,799
Quote:
Ohhh alright. I was only considering it because someone earlier said that unamped they havent even reached 75%.

Thanks!

Well, a lot of it depends on they synergy between the headphones, amp and source. The ele dac seems to amplify the sound a bit anyway, so that help. Also, the ele dac tends to brighten the sound a bit, which works really well with the WS99's. So it's a good pairing.

The WS99's sound and timbre already has such a nice weight to it, that it doesn't seem to be lacking at all. Having said that, I just tried them with the E11 again, and yes, even more weight is given to the notes. Also I must admit that I like using the EQ1 (bass boost 1) setting on the E11 with the WS99's, because they handle the bass so well - it's like your head is in a tube amp lol.

So yeah, the WS99's respond nicely to amping, and don't let me stop you from getting one lol.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #605 of 1,799
Well, a lot of it depends on they synergy between the headphones, amp and source. The ele dac seems to amplify the sound a bit anyway, so that help. Also, the ele dac tends to brighten the sound a bit, which works really well with the WS99's. So it's a good pairing.

The WS99's sound and timbre already has such a nice weight to it, that it doesn't seem to be lacking at all. Having said that, I just tried them with the E11 again, and yes, even more weight is given to the notes. Also I must admit that I like using the EQ1 (bass boost 1) setting on the E11 with the WS99's, because they handle the bass so well - it's like your head is in a tube amp lol.

So yeah, the WS99's respond nicely to amping, and don't let me stop you from getting one lol.

lol, what a change of heart. I guess it won't hurt to buy the e11 so ill grab one. Now im not so sure about the ws99 because I have the mdr 1r... It seems redundant so I might want to get the mdr ma 900 if these aren't really a different sound or anything.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #606 of 1,799
Quote:
lol, what a change of heart. I guess it won't hurt to buy the e11 so ill grab one. Now im not so sure about the ws99 because I have the mdr 1r... It seems redundant so I might want to get the mdr ma 900 if these aren't really a different sound or anything.

Yeah, that happens to me a lot lol! The E11 is really a no-brainer since you can (and should) get one for $40. The WS99 is a no brainer as well, except that I am not familiar with the mdr1r (or mdr ma900), so I can't really comment on the redundancy (although you might be right). But if you want an awesome set of open cans for a ridiculously low price of $143 (amazon japan), then consider the ath ad900x. They truly sound amazing with rock and accoustic etc genres. Throw them on the E11 (or better yet, E12), for just a bit more bass, and they really do sound remarkable (with electronic genres as well). Just a thought :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #607 of 1,799
Yeah, that happens to me a lot lol! The E11 is really a no-brainer since you can (and should) get one for $40. The WS99 is a no brainer as well, except that I am not familiar with the mdr1r (or mdr ma900), so I can't really comment on the redundancy (although you might be right). But if you want an awesome set of open cans for a ridiculously low price of $143 (amazon japan), then consider the ath ad900x. They truly sound amazing with rock and accoustic etc genres. Throw them on the E11 (or better yet, E12), for just a bit more bass, and they really do sound remarkable (with electronic genres as well). Just a thought :)

Yeah I saw them compared to the ma900s in a different thread. They basically just have different sound signatures, and the ma900s are more comfortable. Ill look into the ad900x though! Thanks!

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #608 of 1,799
Quote:
Has anyone tried them with the Headstage Arrow 4G?

I will be using them on the move with the above amp and so far it's pairing well with the FXZ200 and the S500.

I just bought the 3G so when it get here in the next day or two I'll post impression on how they pair with the 99's

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #609 of 1,799
^ Demonfox, you sure have an awesome collection of headphones... including the KSC75's lol. Kudos!

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #610 of 1,799
The more I read I read about these the more I start thinking the bass quantity won't suffice for my taste. I basicly want Q40 levels of bass, I use Q40 paired with digiZoid ZO2.1 at like yellow range (halfway) and that level of bass is just "right" to me, no matter what genre.

For hardstyle I need to also "FEEL" the bass, not just hear it for maximum enjoyment. ^^ With my current setup it can provide this ear-tickling sensation that I like to feel. That's why I like the Q40 so much, gobs of bass but still good texture for the amount it packs! It's so far from single-note bass. :)

For comparision XB500 with ZO at lvl 1-2 was enough for this sensation, Q40 needs at least level lvl 8 (out of lvl 32) or so bass boost on ZO to reach that state.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #611 of 1,799
^ Sounds like you should try the s500's! Seriously though, the ws99 might not be for you. Maybe DemonFox will chime in.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #612 of 1,799
Quote:
The more I read I read about these the more I start thinking the bass quantity won't suffice for my taste. I basicly want Q40 levels of bass, I use Q40 paired with digiZoid ZO2.1 at like yellow range (halfway) and that level of bass is just "right" to me, no matter what genre.

For hardstyle I need to also "FEEL" the bass, not just hear it for maximum enjoyment. ^^ With my current setup it can provide this ear-tickling sensation that I like to feel. That's why I like the Q40 so much, gobs of bass but still good texture for the amount it packs! It's so far from single-note bass. :)

For comparision XB500 with ZO at lvl 1-2 was enough for this sensation, Q40 needs at least level lvl 8 (out of lvl 32) or so bass boost on ZO to reach that state.

I always just assumed the WS99s would have that tickling attribute. If they don't I'm going to be slightly disappointed.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #613 of 1,799
Could we conclude that the ES700's are more neutral and lass impactful in the bass than the WS99's? Id rather have it only slightly boosted in the lows because I cant listen to phones like the AKG550 and how distant they sound. 

I like the A900x in bass and mid sound but i think the treble region is inacurately sharp, and the headphones fit me like poop.

Would you say id like ES700? I actually liked the ESW9a sound equally as good as the a900x sound but it was missing upper midrange shine.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #614 of 1,799

You and I sir, are two of a kind. I have a pair od Denon D2000 coming that I hope are the next step above our Q-40's.........they are my reference point as well.

Have you tried double amping? I'm running the ZO AND the Magni. Sweet combo.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #615 of 1,799
Quote:
You and I sir, are two of a kind. I have a pair od Denon D2000 coming that I hope are the next step above our Q-40's.........they are my reference point as well.

Have you tried double amping? I'm running the ZO AND the Magni. Sweet combo.

I know D2000 isn't to my liking due to: too much subbass skewed bass output, lack of midbass (I need balanced midbass & subbass ratio) and too recessed/distant sounding mids. I prefer a more "in-your-face" / forward soundstage because that is engaging to me and I prefer music to be engaging, not relaxing. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back