The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Mar 30, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #511 of 1,799
Quote:
You youngins and ur Bass.

For me it's not so much about the quantity but the sound of it, why I like hardstyle, no other genre has such a variety how the bass sounds like, it's more like every producer has their signature bassline. :p I never listen to dubstep personally.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #512 of 1,799
https://soundcloud.com/cyberwave-orchestra/cyberwave-orchestra-alone-in   Listen and Enjoy 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #514 of 1,799
Quote:
For me it's not so much about the quantity but the sound of it, why I like hardstyle, no other genre has such a variety how the bass sounds like, it's more like every producer has their signature bassline. :p I never listen to dubstep personally.

If you like Hardstyle, I don't think Audio Technica is for you. Even the high-end W3000ANV and W5000 don't seem to have that much low bass to speak of.

However, if we were talking about DT770, D2000, HE-400, or... y' know, LCD-2... 
evil_smiley.gif

In fact, I think that if you're set on Hardstyle, then... LCD-2 is an inevitable end goal. I know for sure that that's my next purchase. LCD-2 plus some high-end desktop amp. It's only a matter of when I can comfortably do that without resorting to cup noodles for a whole month.

The ES10 is more than enough for my dubstep fix. I think the WS99 would be suitable for dubstep as well. But you obviously can't be satisfied with dubstep anymore.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #515 of 1,799
Quote:

If you like Hardstyle, I don't think Audio Technica is for you. Even the high-end W3000ANV and W5000 don't seem to have that much low bass to speak of.

However, if we were talking about DT770, D2000, HE-400, or... y' know, LCD-2... 
evil_smiley.gif

In fact, I think that if you're set on Hardstyle, then... LCD-2 is an inevitable end goal. I know for sure that that's my next purchase. LCD-2 plus some high-end desktop amp. It's only a matter of when I can comfortably do that without resorting to cup noodles for a whole month.

The ES10 is more than enough for my dubstep fix. I think the WS99 would be suitable for dubstep as well. But you obviously can't be satisfied with dubstep anymore.

Who says I want low bass? I want balanced midbass vs subbass ratio, ideally it should peak around 80Hz or so which the Signature DJ's do according to personalaudio.ru anyway, check that graph, it has precisely the basscurve/shape I'm looking for but the midrange is slightly too pushed back on the other hand versus the highrange (or in this case I'd simply want to smoothen out the highrange as the midrange compares perfectly against the bass as I want it to):

For me about 8dB peak around 80Hz, rolls off slightly down deep and starts to roll off in the upper-end before 200Hz is what I personally want based on experience, these kinds of bass curves provide the ideal amount impact with a round/hillshaped curve with about equal amount mid and subbass (I concider 80Hz roughly the barrier between subbass and midbass). I personally disliked DT770's bass, too much subbass skewed output, was lacking midbass punch for my needs. If it's more subbass skewed, then the bass output is too soft. Became particularly noticable when I compared XB700 vs XB500 on the same track, the XB500 "punched" much more, the XB700 just rumbled, but too softly so. For me DT770, D2000 and Hifimans are probably all too "soft" / subbass focused for my needs. M100, Signature DJs and hopefully WS99,  are candidates which should satisfy my bass needs. The sheer quantity is what worries me about WS99, I believe it's bass type / character isn't the issue. The Q40 I use have very similar bass shape curve to the Signature DJs why I like its bass so much too, I'd just wish for overall SQ boosts even if Q40 is no slouch, it's just the upgradeitis that strikes.

Hardstyle uses equally much midbass and subbass in the "kicks". Midbass brings you the punch (impact) and the subbass brings the kick ("meat"). Well TBH, pretty much any EDM genres do, house music has very strong midbass usages too. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #516 of 1,799
Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/cyberwave-orchestra/cyberwave-orchestra-alone-in   Listen and Enjoy 
smily_headphones1.gif

Listen and enjoy I did! Very cool. I'm now checking out the rest of the "Cyberwave Orchestra" tracks on soundcloud with these wonderful ws99's, and they are great. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #517 of 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

The sheer quantity is what worries me about WS99, I believe it's bass type / character isn't the issue.

Hardstyle uses equally much midbass and subbass in the "kicks". Midbass brings you the punch (impact) and the subbass brings the kick ("meat"). Well TBH, pretty much any EDM genres do, house music has very strong midbass usages too. 

I'm no expert, but the quantity of the bass of the WS99 never seems to be too much for me (whereas sometimes that is not the case with my S500's). Maybe that's because the quality of the WS99's bass is so good. And although I don't feel the need to use it with the WS99's, I can even use the E12's bass boost with them and it still sounds great (and not congested or bloated or boomy, although I think I can at times feel it through my core lol). I just with you would hurry up and get yourself a pair!
smile.gif

Regarding "hardstyle", I am not familiar, but I'm going to check some of it out.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #518 of 1,799
Quote:

Regarding "hardstyle", I am not familiar, but I'm going to check some of it out.

Personally, I like to have a similar amount of sub bass and mid bass when it comes to hardstyle. The bass hits have a good amount of both so it gives it a fuller and more powerful sound.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #519 of 1,799
Quote:
Personally, I like to have a similar amount of sub bass and mid bass when it comes to hardstyle. The bass hits have a good amount of both so it gives it a fuller and more powerful sound.

If you have any suggestions for me to check out, please let me know. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #520 of 1,799
Quote:

If you have any suggestions for me to check out, please let me know. Thanks!

This is BY FAR the best hardstyle song I've ever heard:

This would be a good one to test with:

Here's another one I like:

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #521 of 1,799
Quote:
This is BY FAR the best hardstyle song I've ever heard:

This would be a good one to test with:

Here's another one I like:

Hard style huh... I don't get it  
confused.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #522 of 1,799
Concerning the sub-bass, while it is not lacking here in any way, the accentuated mid-range may sometimes make the sub frequencies seem less impactful compared to something like the k167 which has a thinned out mid-range which makes for a more prominent sounding sub-bass.

For someone who want's to get a taste of the WS99 without buying it, just demo a WS55 and imagine bigger bass, bigger stage but the signature is pretty similar IMO.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #524 of 1,799
Does anyone know if there are any other pads that fit the WS99s other than the M50s? I'm seeing a lot of listings saying that Shure pads fit the m50, wondering if they would fit the ws99 too.

The M50 pads I was finding don't appear to be much deeper than the ones that are on the w99 now.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #525 of 1,799
Quote:

Hard style huh... I don't get it  
confused.gif

LOL what he linked to couldn't be worse suggestions, the first isn't quite hardstyle IMO even and is just a random track by an unknown and the 2nd two are very commercialized tracks, think Skrillex of dubstep and the middle one the track is "ripped quality from a radio stream" It's my own channel so. :p

The idea about the genre is distorted bass (you take a typical EDM beat and distort & tweak it so it starts sounding nicer and it can be quite complex as the kick may be distorted like 10-15 times or so in a row with a lot of EQing in between and more distort etc :p), there's FX kicks and reverse basses and gated kicks etc. Different types of bass tones. The genre typically uses a lot of screeches and today is mostly / nearly always 150 bpm (was a bit lower earlier on). Structure wise it almost always follows the intro-break-buildup-climax or anticlimax and possibly a 2nd climax or anticlimax and outro part. Today when it comes to styles we talk mostly about early hardstyle (2001-2006 era as it sounded quite different then), euphoric hardstyle (started surfacing around 2007 or so that is much more melodic focused and can have quite a lot of vocals whereas previously HS didn't use a lot of vocals) and then we have RAW style which is more like "modern early hardstyle" with a more darker sound than the euphoric style tracks (there are usually separate events or stages for the different styles). 

The genre has very broad styles, if you want example of something of the opposite and what is really HARD then check this mix (contains very well known "very hard" tracks):

Good euphoric style tracks would be for example:

Then we have more "generic" styles that is more in-between of these two like:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back