The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Apr 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #526 of 1,799
Crap i fell to the peer pressure and just got these suckas for ~$182 shipped with a 5% off coupon. So like a total of almost $10 off which is a pretty freaken sweet deal.

http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/Product/219436-AudioTechnica-ATHWS99-Solid-Bass-OverEar-HeadphonesStereoMiniphoneWired37-Ohm8-Hz25-kHzGold-PlatedOvertheheadBinauralCircumaural131-ft-CableCondenser-Microphone-4961310118662?ai=1550&gclid=CI2KwtL8qbYCFSxyQgodcW8ASA

Coupon expires at the end of April not the 1st of April it seems................

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/nothingbutsoftware.com

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #527 of 1,799
I guess I'm old. It still just sounds to me like old school techno and happy hardcore sent through EQ and distortion a bunch of times. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #530 of 1,799
Quote:
Crap i fell to the peer pressure and just got these suckas for ~$182 shipped with a 5% off coupon. So like a total of almost $10 off which is a pretty freaken sweet deal.

I got my sights on sfwalcer.... bullseye!

That's awesome. When do you get them?

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #531 of 1,799
Quote:

I got my sights on sfwalcer.... bullseye!

That's awesome. When do you get them?

LoL, just ordered today since i thought the coupon was gonna expire.
biggrin.gif
Guess it doesn't expire till the end of this month. Which is good for people that are still on the fence. More time to decide. haha BUT YOU KNOW YOU WANT THINS AND ONLY THIS!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #532 of 1,799
Does anyone know if there are any other pads that fit the WS99s other than the M50s? I'm seeing a lot of listings saying that Shure pads fit the m50, wondering if they would fit the ws99 too.

The M50 pads I was finding don't appear to be much deeper than the ones that are on the w99 now.

Just got mine havent had much listening time. All I know was out of box they sounded great with awesome bass but still balanced and nice sparkle in the highs with zero sibilance. The other thing I quickly noticed that my shure 840 pads had spoiled me. These AT pads definitely aren't nearly as comfortable. The 840 pads are way to big for the WS99 naked. I tried the 840 pads over the AT pads but they were way too loose and would fall off anytime I took the headphones off. Something I dont want to deal with on a portable headphone. Plus there is the issue that both pads have the sound dampeners on them and I didnt want to cut up pads experimenting.

I had noticed earlier that my old Somic pads were bigger but I never tried them since they are crappy quality. However in pad on pad they provide a tighter fit and also had no sound dampener/diffuser so this is what I ended up with.

Very comfortable and I dont think it looks too horrible. I havent listened enough to stock pads to give a comparison nor am I experienced enough to compare to alot of other headphones. All I know is they still sound amazing to me and still balanced with all types of music. Anyways just wanted to let you know it was possible to get them on there.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #533 of 1,799
Apr 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #534 of 1,799
^ I'll check those out. At the moment, I'm listening to this pretty cool Knife Party track, and it sounds rather awesome with the WS99's (if not a bit too intense at times!).

Btw, if I were to imagine what "hardstyle" is, it would probably be something like what Knife Party puts out (which, apparently, is "moombahton").

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #535 of 1,799
Quote:
if you all want some good stuff to listen to through these ws99's here's some that'll make these bring out what they got: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhT35v54W58 (just great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clTM3qaYh_8&list=FL3jwiNRjlSLmcpnN14xWtSA&index=7 (good till 2:50 then gets wierd)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEVjAWqw8Yo&list=FL3jwiNRjlSLmcpnN14xWtSA&index=12 (Fantastic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn93kD94jqw&list=FL3jwiNRjlSLmcpnN14xWtSA (really catchy)    
beerchug.gif

The Cyberwave Orchestra track, the Striver track (found more on soundcloud) and the 5xL Beats track were all very cool. Seeing if I can get through the blasting piano dubstep one lol! Thanks!

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #536 of 1,799
Quote:

The Cyberwave Orchestra track, the Striver track (found more on soundcloud) and the 5xL Beats track were all very cool. Seeing if I can get through the blasting piano dubstep one lol! Thanks!

haha np these cans make everything sound so great. i've been lovin' it. though i am feeling some discomfort with left earpad as my left ear hits the driver but sticking in a rolled up sticky note did a good enough job. I'm happy.  Thanks you all for creating this thread and getting the word out about ws99s. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #537 of 1,799
Quote:

LOL what he linked to couldn't be worse suggestions, the first isn't quite hardstyle IMO even and is just a random track by an unknown and the 2nd two are very commercialized tracks, think Skrillex of dubstep and the middle one the track is "ripped quality from a radio stream" It's my own channel so. :p

I'm sorry it isn't up to your standards. The first track is DEFINITELY hardstyle, no doubt about it. Just because a random made it doesn't make it not hardstyle. Personally, I thought we both posted decent suggestions that demonstrated what the genre is, but obviously you don't agree. You're more into it than I am, so I'll let you do your thing.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #538 of 1,799
Quote:

Who says I want low bass? I want balanced midbass vs subbass ratio, ideally it should peak around 80Hz or so which the Signature DJ's do according to personalaudio.ru anyway, check that graph, it has precisely the basscurve/shape I'm looking for but the midrange is slightly too pushed back on the other hand versus the highrange (or in this case I'd simply want to smoothen out the highrange as the midrange compares perfectly against the bass as I want it to):

For me about 8dB peak around 80Hz, rolls off slightly down deep and starts to roll off in the upper-end before 200Hz is what I personally want based on experience, these kinds of bass curves provide the ideal amount impact with a round/hillshaped curve with about equal amount mid and subbass (I concider 80Hz roughly the barrier between subbass and midbass). I personally disliked DT770's bass, too much subbass skewed output, was lacking midbass punch for my needs. If it's more subbass skewed, then the bass output is too soft. Became particularly noticable when I compared XB700 vs XB500 on the same track, the XB500 "punched" much more, the XB700 just rumbled, but too softly so. For me DT770, D2000 and Hifimans are probably all too "soft" / subbass focused for my needs. M100, Signature DJs and hopefully WS99,  are candidates which should satisfy my bass needs. The sheer quantity is what worries me about WS99, I believe it's bass type / character isn't the issue. The Q40 I use have very similar bass shape curve to the Signature DJs why I like its bass so much too, I'd just wish for overall SQ boosts even if Q40 is no slouch, it's just the upgradeitis that strikes.

Hardstyle uses equally much midbass and subbass in the "kicks". Midbass brings you the punch (impact) and the subbass brings the kick ("meat"). Well TBH, pretty much any EDM genres do, house music has very strong midbass usages too. 

I'll wait until there's a frequency response graph for the WS99, but here's how it looks like for the ES10:

If WS99 is just like ES10 but with reduced treble, then I'd guess that it'll look about the same under 200Hz.

And I know you've heard this before, but frequency response doesn't tell the whole story. I have heard the Q40, and ES10 has much much much more prominent bass impact to me. It's so much that I have since foregone bass-boost, but then... that's just me. I don't know how hard you want your bass to hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back