The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Mar 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #496 of 1,799
Quote:
Lol. Amp makes atronimical diff on these...

I agree. I have basically only been listening to them through the ELE DAC and Fiio E12 (or Clip ZIP and E11), and it's amazing. I'll have to try them un-amped one of these days to see what kind of a difference that makes.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #497 of 1,799
Quote:
They are very comfortable for me also, but I have regular sized ears. I am a bit surprised that you are not having any problems (like bjaardker).

They aren't ALWAYS completely comfortable but I've found the way to make them comfortable.  Middle of the ear cups stick out a bit and that's what i find uncomfortable but an easy fix (or at least for me) is to put them the headphones on so that the part that sticks out from ear cup isn't touching the walls or ridges of your ears that stick out.  Simply align the headphones in a way so the part that sticks out on ear cup is placed on a deeper/hollower part of your ear. and then let yourself drown in the music 
L3000.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #498 of 1,799
I've been switching between the AD900X (Fiio E12 v1 bass boost on) and the WS99 (E12 v1 bass boost off), and these two really are the dynamic duos. I've never experienced the "old" ATH sound signature, but dsnuts is absolutely right about the "new" ATH signature - it's just very balanced and just plain beautiful, and it's the same with both the ws99's and the ad900x's. Yes, they each have very different characteristics, but they are both absolutely wonderful and amazing for the price ($160-$180). I know that my WS99's are somehow going to improve even further with more burn in, so I can't say which will be my ultimate favorite. But I can say that for anyone looking for amazing closed and open headphones for an incredible price, you really can't go wrong with either of these beauties.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #499 of 1,799
Quote:
I've been switching between the AD900X (Fiio E12 v1 bass boost on) and the WS99 (E12 v1 bass boost off), and these two really are the dynamic duos. I've never experienced the "old" ATH sound signature, but dsnuts is absolutely right about the "new" ATH signature - it's just very balanced and just plain beautiful, and it's the same with both the ws99's and the ad900x's. Yes, they each have very different characteristics, but they are both absolutely wonderful and amazing for the price ($160-$180). I know that my WS99's are somehow going to improve even further with more burn in, so I can't say which will be my ultimate favorite. But I can say that for anyone looking for amazing closed and open headphones for an incredible price, you really can't go wrong with either of these beauties.

That's the best you can do WAYNE?!!! I want you to sell these to me like your life depends on it, where's the passion, where's the fight, and most importantly where's DAT HYPE?!!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #500 of 1,799
Quote:

So which is the best basshead can of the two?  Or even compared to the other Audio Technica cans?  Rank the AT for basshead application please.

And  have you heard the M-Audio Q-40's to compare to these two?  

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #501 of 1,799
Quote:
That's the best you can do WAYNE?!!! I want you to sell these to my like your life depends on it, where's the passion, where's the fight, and most importantly where's DAT HYPE?!!!
biggrin.gif

Sheesh, I thought that was subtle, yet good mature hype! Regardless, don't worry... the hype is just getting started. For now, I control my spazz.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #502 of 1,799
Quote:

So which is the best basshead can of the two?  Or even compared to the other Audio Technica cans?  Rank the AT for basshead application please.

Sorry, I have only heard the AD900X and the WS99. The WS99's have an incredible, deep, extended, detailed, enveloping and yet non-fatiguing bass. Perfect for me, but I am not sure that it would satisfy a certified "bass head". Others will have to chime in about that.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #503 of 1,799

I just got the ws99s and these are an amazing pair cans. Highly recommend. Im mostly listening to orchestral dubstep and they are handling it amazingly...! Violins and piano sound clear yet the bass drops are impactful. Puts a smile on my face :) im no audiophile and dont analyze all frequency responses and stuff in detail. I go by "fun" and these are very fun to listen to.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #504 of 1,799
The Solid Bass series has a distinct sounding bass. When i first got the WS55 i thought something was wrong with it because i had never heard a bass sound so quick and precise without being anemic. Something to keep in mind for people expecting the boom bassheads typically look for.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #505 of 1,799
Quote:
So even with stuffing to deepen the ear cups, I'm still getting pain from my ear on the right side.

Can anyone give me an idea of a few different ear pads I could try? I love the sound of these, especially now that I have 130+ hours of burn, but the ear pain sucks.

I wish I still had my M-50.. Just from memory I am guessing the M-50 pads might fit. And if so those have plenty of cushion. What I would do is see if you can get a hold of some M-50 pads.. Or you might be able to get them from Amazon and return them if they don't fit. I think most of the guys the fit is ok but the pads and the cans are somewhat shallow fitting so I can understand.  Look into the M-50 pads.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #506 of 1,799
DSnuts, Thanks! I'll give those a look.

For everyone with their WS99s, even if this isn't a favorite genre of yours, the "Solid Bass" is in full effect here:
https://soundcloud.com/gravitas-recordings/goldrush-the-third-omen

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #507 of 1,799
Quote:
DSnuts, Thanks! I'll give those a look.

For everyone with their WS99s, even if this isn't a favorite genre of yours, the "Solid Bass" is in full effect here:
https://soundcloud.com/gravitas-recordings/goldrush-the-third-omen

Not exactly my usual genre, but that did indeed sound good and I enjoyed it. And yes, it sounded especially cool through the 99's. Thanks!

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #508 of 1,799
A bit too singlenote bass for my taste ^^ I don't like bass like that but I've become spoilt by Hardstyle kicks so :D

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #509 of 1,799
A bit too singlenote bass for my taste ^^ I don't like bass like that but I've become spoilt by Hardstyle kicks so :D
I like hard style too, but now In spoiled by the bass in dubstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back