The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Feb 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #136 of 1,799
I can only listen to so many of her tunes but. Tested 3 tracks.  She sounds like Taylor swift with absolute clarity in her vocals and everything else on the tracks come out marvelously. I would say that is a pass on the Taylor Swift vocal test. Unless you want me to continue with the Taylor Swift tour. Lol.
  I can see how this tune would stress out some cans. Not on the WS99.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #137 of 1,799
Ya she has a lot of Ss on that sparks fly. The WS99 renders her voice with clarity. I can imagine on the actual track it would be even better  The Ss and Ts come clear and don't spike.  I don't hear sibilance of any type..Then there is this. The best trance cans in the world? To me they are. lol. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #138 of 1,799
Quote:
This is quite good stress test for upper-mid range resonance test. Those vocals' overtones will quickly shoot into ringing mess if there's excess resonances here. So far only Q40 has fully satisfied me here, no such issues present. Take CKS77 IEMs here and I have to take those IEMs out quickly out of my ears. I think possibly even M100 doesn't fare so well here, I remember some1 pointing out in the thread to test if the vocals sounded distorted at some point in this song (cough, resonance issues cough)

Huh. The ad900x's somehow made that even sound good lol!

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #139 of 1,799
Quote:
Then there is this. The best trance cans in the world? To me they are. lol. 

That track is here at soundcloud as well. Probably a higher bitrate,. Sounds good. Also downloadable.

Sadly I don't have the WS99's to listen to trance with, but I'll make do :)

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #140 of 1,799
Quote:
That may be right for cans under $100, but actually, I have heard a lot of cans over $150 that have more treble than M50.

DT770, 880, 990 are prime examples. Denon D2000, D5000, D7000 are also prime examples. V-Moda M80 and M100 are also prime examples.

On that note, are you saying M100 has more treble than WS99?

The WS99 has a more prominent treble presence than both the M-80 and the M-100. It isn't sibilant, but it brings more sparkle to the top end.

Quote:
I have heard plenty of cans with extended highs but the M-50 highs are unnatural sounding..This more so than treble in general on them. Then their kinda limp in the mids.. AT got their tuning much better in the new cans.. Old AT sound is that. Old AT sound.

I agree on the M50's treble. On my set, it borders on sibilance at times. I prefer the warmer, and better sounding ES7 than the M50 - better bass, more controlled treble and a better all-round sound.

I like the direction Audio-Technica are taking with their new releases. I too, like the WS99, but I don't fancy the shallow pads. It'll definitely be a can to look out for in the future.

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #141 of 1,799
Quote:
Ya she has a lot of Ss on that sparks fly. The WS99 renders her voice with clarity. I can imagine on the actual track it would be even better  The Ss and Ts come clear and don't spike.  I don't hear sibilance of any type..Then there is this. The best trance cans in the world? To me they are. lol. 

It's not sibilance I'm talking about here though, that happens around 8~10kHz or so area. I'm talking about the nasty 2 ~ 4kHz range ringing which sounds like a typical 70's radio with vocals. :p If there's ringing around that area then they get like muddied up in a cloud of "resonance", don't know how to explain it, imagine Taylor's Swift's very nasal voice and boost the nasalness by 5x so you only hear that nasal tone that gets strengthened significantly so at the end of the vocal you only hear that nasal tone clouding up the vocals, so the vocals both get louder and more muddy than it should be.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #142 of 1,799
Wish I knew japanese http://www.barks.jp/gakki/news/?id=1000084589

Anyway with google translate and a handful of imagination I got to understand (I think anyway xd) it's a noticable step-up from WS77 and the reviewer really enjoys the sound of that WS99 and it's more than simply a bass cannon and compared pretty nicely against a another headphone he compared to.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #144 of 1,799
Hi guys !

I've been following a few AT's threads here for a couple of months, decided to subscribe finally ;P
I'm actually lookking forward to change my cans (Bose QC3, not exactly an "audiophile" can I know ;x)
Listening primary to EDM (well, more the Techno genre to be precise) and some Rap & Rock classics, I was headed toward the AT ES10 willing to save up for the huge 400 bucks asked.
But reading (excellent) Dsnuts review of the WS99, I wondered how these two compared, SQ wise , and if some could make a Bass comparison, that would be wonderful.

One type of heavy bass track i listen, how do these sound ? 

I was really willing to save up till summer to buy the gorgeous ES10, but now these WS99 appears to be a bargain according to you guys !

Dunno what to do :S

Thank you guys, nice review Ds.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #145 of 1,799
sorry for necroing the thread, but i would very much like to know how users of the ws99 are amping them - if at all? and if you are, are you using an O2 by any chance? with what gain settings?

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #146 of 1,799
Hey guys, new member here.  I just placed an order for the M-100 to replace my HFI-580's.  Now I come in here and find all the great comments on the WS99.  Based on the few that have listened to both, I think I made the right decision for my taste in music.  I still would like to give the WS99 a listen.  Too bad they aren't readily available to try out.

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #147 of 1,799
Hey guys, new member here.  I just placed an order for the M-100 to replace my HFI-580's.  Now I come in here and find all the great comments on the WS99.  Based on the few that have listened to both, I think I made the right decision for my taste in music.  I still would like to give the WS99 a listen.  Too bad they aren't readily available to try out.
is that the es10 in your profile pic?
U have them?
I can't seem to find many comparisons with them & m100 or these ws99.

To me the m100 are tops in musicality untill I hear these nice ws99.
I am hoping the ws99 can be the poor man's version of the es10..
Maybe, probably better :)

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #150 of 1,799
Quote:

I've auditioned the both of them together as well, and I found the M-100 more suited to my musical preferences. Both are good, basshead cans, just in a different vein. If it helps, I ended up buying the M-100 myself. I don't think you'll regret getting the M-100. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back