The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Jun 19, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,261 of 1,799
Hmm well how do these perform with things like orchestrated music... Most of my library is electronic but what isn't is generally something related to an orchestration. Oh and how is the build quality on thesE? Thanks

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,262 of 1,799
They are good for orchestra(classical) as well for sure. Electronic orchestration... I think it will sound pretty badass on ws99:) With the lively mids and the bass nothing can go wrong. But you might want to consider ath-ad900x(I just got them) as it has wider,airier soundstage and excels in orchestral music due to its open-back nature. While it doesn't have the thumping bass of ws99, its not bass light either and can be made better with good amps.
Build quality, I'm probably the only person who's got a build prob with ws99, the right swivel came loose and fit went slightly off although I kept them in a hard case while on the go. Strage but hopefully not many will experience this.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #1,264 of 1,799
Quote:
How much bass quantity does the WS99 have compared to the Sony XB500?

I doubt they are even close to XB500 quantities which are pretty much bass cannons with 13-15dB boost, based on feedback I've read in this thread I get the picture WS99 may be more around 7dB or so boost.

Has any1 heard both WS99 and JVC HA-S500? Do these have pretty much similiar bass quantities perhaps?

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,265 of 1,799
Quote:

I doubt they are even close to XB500 quantities which are pretty much bass cannons with 13-15dB boost, based on feedback I've read in this thread I get the picture WS99 may be more around 7dB or so boost.

Has any1 heard both WS99 and JVC HA-S500? Do these have pretty much similiar bass quantities perhaps?

The WS99s bass is wayyy bigger and more defined. Like the product description it sounds solid like a rock literally. The S500s bass is good but not even that close to the overall power/ refinement of the WS99s. 

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #1,266 of 1,799
I have been burnin the SZ2000 for some time now and the JVC has a bigger sound. The bass is very deep and well textured. Impact is definitely stronger on the JVC and the tolerance is much higher too if you push both of them. The midrange is opening up and vocals are getting clearer than before. The WS99 is easier to power though and cheaper too while the SZ2000 needs an amp for best performance.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #1,268 of 1,799
Oops I thought you were comparing the SZ2000 instead of the S500. The WS99 handily beats the S500, all things considered equal and both of them amplified but 1 set of the Audio Technica will buy you 3 or 4 sets of the S500.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,269 of 1,799
Quote:
The WS99s bass is wayyy bigger and more defined. Like the product description it sounds solid like a rock literally. The S500s bass is good but not even that close to the overall power/ refinement of the WS99s. 

OK that's confusing towards all the feedback read here because S500 are by no means slouches in the bass department: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JVCHAS500Z.pdf

That's about 7-8dB bass boost in the JVCs which is quite a lot already. My Q40 that I love so much measures around 8dB boost. Tyll, hurry up and measure these things! :wink:

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #1,270 of 1,799
Quote:

OK that's confusing towards all the feedback read here because S500 are by no means slouches in the bass department: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JVCHAS500Z.pdf

That's about 7-8dB bass boost in the JVCs which is quite a lot already. My Q40 that I love so much measures around 8dB boost. Tyll, hurry up and measure these things! :wink:

By no means is the S500 bass lite, it's just the bass on the WS99s are another tier all together. The WS99 is a total upgrade from the S500s and is worth 3X the price to me.

But despite this the S500s can hang with these WS99, cuz they are that good, regardless of the price.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,271 of 1,799
It's funny how apt a description "solid bass" is. My assumption was that it was a result of a Japanese interpretation of English, but it's accurate. Solid, deep, tight, controlled, and articulate. 

I'm also a fan of looser, boomy sub-bass and I think I'll probably get a separate set of headphones just for that -- they're great for EDM and TV / movies. I had a set of Crossfade LP1s for a while and even without an amp, watching shows on TV suddenly felt like I had an 8" sub hiding somewhere in the room. 

The WS99 won't do that exactly; it's more like having large tower speakers. IMHO:

-Crossfade LP1  = dedicated subwoofer
-WS99 large tower speakers (maybe 8"-10" woofers)? 

Hope that helps. Hope I haven't made anymore additionally confused.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,272 of 1,799
Quote:
They are good for orchestra(classical) as well for sure. Electronic orchestration... I think it will sound pretty badass on ws99:) With the lively mids and the bass nothing can go wrong. But you might want to consider ath-ad900x(I just got them) as it has wider,airier soundstage and excels in orchestral music due to its open-back nature. While it doesn't have the thumping bass of ws99, its not bass light either and can be made better with good amps.
Build quality, I'm probably the only person who's got a build prob with ws99, the right swivel came loose and fit went slightly off although I kept them in a hard case while on the go. Strage but hopefully not many will experience this.

Thanks... Well unfortunately, I will not be getting the AD900x because I only really need a portable headphone since I already own a Q701, though the AD900x does seem tempting but restraint haha. Hehe the competition remains between the Sennheiser Momentum, Logitech ue6000, and the ws99... though the prices are kind scattered... especially that momentum lol

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,274 of 1,799
I have had the m100s for the last few months but they just aren't doing it for me. I'm not sure why and I can't put my finger on it but I just am not completely happy w them. Maybe it's the headfi effect but I'm looking for the next headphone now in the sub 250 range. I listen to mostly hip hop and absolutely love the sound of my Vsonic GR07 Bass Editions. Would love to find a portable w a similar signature. The M100s are a bit too recessed for my liking I think. These ws99s sound like they might be exactly what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,275 of 1,799
Quote:
I have had the m100s for the last few months but they just aren't doing it for me. I'm not sure why and I can't put my finger on it but I just am not completely happy w them. Maybe it's the headfi effect but I'm looking for the next headphone now in the sub 250 range. I listen to mostly hip hop and absolutely love the sound of my Vsonic GR07 Bass Editions. Would love to find a portable w a similar signature. The M100s are a bit too recessed for my liking I think. These ws99s sound like they might be exactly what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?

These WS99 don't sound like the gr07 BEs sorry to tell you that BUT they are probably closer in sound to the gr07 BEs than the M100.  The bass end is more emphasized on these WS99s but the mids and highs are as lovely as those on the Vsonics. Nothing really feels lacking and they have a great balance in the overall sound. I would say the WS99s are more linear in it's overall presentation where as the gr07 BEs are more 3D due to their crazy amount of micro details/ lushness in sound.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back