The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Jun 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,247 of 1,799
Hi, I was wondering if somebody could give me some information about these headphones please. I'm not a bass head, but I'm interested in a pair of Audio Technica portable for bass quality (the amount being slightly over neutral, as Mal would say "warm neutral"), and clear, lush female vocals. A bit of clarity would also be nice. Could this meet my requirements without becoming too overpowering and giving me headaches during long listening sessions?

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,248 of 1,799
These are more than slightly over neutral.in bass. They are warm and balanced very well for a bass emphasized can however.. Speed is excellent on these cans and vocals do stand out. The sound is very enjoyable.. You should look into the OPEN AD900X. that seems to be what your looking for.. Excellent for rock and metal.  If your can has to be closed the WS99 will be a great can for you. They might be a bit more bass than you are looking for but the full lush mids and excellent controlled treble actually makes them balanced with the bass.

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,249 of 1,799
Quote:
These are more than slightly over neutral.in bass. They are warm and balanced very well for a bass emphasized can however.. Speed is excellent on these cans and vocals do stand out. The sound is very enjoyable.. You should look into the OPEN AD900X. that seems to be what your looking for.. Excellent for rock and metal.  If your can has to be closed the WS99 will be a great can for you. They might be a bit more bass than you are looking for but the full lush mids and excellent controlled treble actually makes them balanced with the bass.

Thanks for the advice
happy_face1.gif
. Yeah I need a closed back with a short cable, preferably one that is relatively easy to drive since I would rather not carry an amp unless it is worth the sound quality. I think they'll have more bass than I'm typically used to. I owned an HA-S600 (similar to the HA-S500, but doesn't sound as good in the mid-range and is more muddy), and I didn't think they were too bad for electronic and female vocals. My favourite portable I've owned thus far is the ATH-M50, but I thought they were a bit sibilant and could use a bit more bass. In relation to the HA-S500 (or S600 if you've ever owned one), how much bass do these have and is it intrusive on the mids?

Edit: I plan on using these for artists such as Metric, MGMT, No Doubt, Seether, Silversun Pickups, Three Days Grace, Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker, Volbeat, Evanescence, Foster The People, Kings Of Leon, Linkin Park, and The Faint.

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #1,252 of 1,799
Metalgods  idea about neutral seems to be not my idea of neutral. Lol. Ya go for the WS99. You will dig em. A nice upgrade to what you was using before. The AD900X would be bass light for you..Even though they aren't.. GO for the WS99..

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,253 of 1,799
Quote:
Metalgods  idea about neutral seems to be not my idea of neutral. Lol. Ya go for the WS99. You will dig em. A nice upgrade to what you was using before. The AD900X would be bass light for you..Even though they aren't.. GO for the WS99..

Okay, thanks
smile.gif
. I'm not trying to get a neutral headphone, my idea of neutral is approximately an HD 650 with a bit of a boost in the treble, less mid-bass, and more sub-bass. My idea of neutral bass is probably the HE-400. So, I guess an HD 600 is my neutral reference point? I try to keep my idea of neutral as close to reality as possible, but sometimes I over-estimate the frequency extremes in real life.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #1,255 of 1,799
Because of the manly good looks and solid metalic surface these are extremely durable and hard to let go but as it happens sometimes you want to scale back your collection to get sonething else and since I have been using 3 other portables of different strengths and signatures, I have posted my ws99 up for sale here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/668181/audio-technica-ws99#post_9528031
And dont think I don't love these babies but just want to try some big cans and these have least use so best condition :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #1,258 of 1,799
You're always curious about "what if" there is a better option out there and I doubt you can get completely away from it, but on the other hand I'm so satisfied with my current particular setup that I don't have any urge to upgrade though, for WS99 I'd like to see a frequency response measurement to see if bass quantity will suffice and the new JVCs needs more feedback. No rush here, I can let others try, I'm very satisfied with my current setup. ^^

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #1,259 of 1,799
Is the WS99 less fatiguing/darker than the S500? I like the S500 bass, but sometimes the treble gets on my nerves. I'd like a bit more of a "club sound", where the bass is deep and powerful, while the high frequency sounds are present, but never too loud/strenous. Also i'd like my phones to create an impression of grandness (i guess that is what's called soundstage around here). S500 is more direct in your face, which can kill a little bit of the magic in tech-house songs from time to time IMO.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,260 of 1,799
Quote:
Is the WS99 less fatiguing/darker than the S500? 

Yes & yes.

I like the S500 bass, but sometimes the treble gets on my nerves. 

Me too. Better though with the HM5 pads.

I'd like a bit more of a "club sound", where the bass is deep and powerful, while the high frequency sounds are present, but never too loud/strenous. Also i'd like my phones to create an impression of grandness (i guess that is what's called soundstage around here). S500 is more direct in your face, which can kill a little bit of the magic in tech-house songs from time to time IMO.

The WS99's have your name written all over them my friend! Exactly what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back