The Worst Myth at Head-Fi.....?
May 8, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #136 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That head-fi is something other than a pissing contest.

Piss-Fi. ouch

May 9, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #138 of 223
What I find most frustrating is that the *myth* status for many of these claims is easily testable. Headphone burn-in: Physical or Psychological? easy test. Six identical brand-new sets of a given headphone model, and either burn one set in for X amount of hours, or burn all but one set in. A test group is then asked to determine which are the burned-in vs. *virgin* phones. If anyone can reliably sort the phones with a better than chance average, headphone burn-in is a physical phenomenon. If they can't, it ain't. The fact that discussing the scientific method with regard to certain audio claims <cough>recabling</cough> is expressly forbidden here, says a lot about how certain myths are perpetuated.

Kerry M

May 9, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #139 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwanasonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I find most frustrating is that the *myth* status for many of these claims is easily testable. Headphone burn-in: Physical or Psychological? easy test. Six identical brand-new sets of a given headphone model, and either burn one set in for X amount of hours, or burn all but one set in. A test group is then asked to determine which are the burned-in vs. *virgin* phones. If anyone can reliably sort the phones with a better than chance average, headphone burn-in is a physical phenomenon. If they can't, it ain't. The fact that discussing the scientific method with regard to certain audio claims <cough>recabling</cough> is expressly forbidden here, says a lot about how certain myths are perpetuated.

Kerry M

good post. makes more sense than anything i've read in a long while.

May 9, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #142 of 223
Quote:

The fact that discussing the scientific method with regard to certain audio claims <cough>recabling</cough> is expressly forbidden here, says a lot about how certain myths are perpetuated.

It's only forbidden to discuss it in the "Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) " subforum.There are good reasons for it.
Everywhere else you are free to question whatever you want.

May 9, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #143 of 223
Without a doubt...The HD-650s aren't veiled, they alone possess that rare quality of a "Warm Soundstage' which all to many audiophiles misunderapperciate,,, well,,,,much,,,,,, alot, REALLY
wink.gif
(Winks at the Queen)
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #144 of 223
- Of course the Sennheiser veil. (Look what happens when newbies are allowed to talk! I love the internet)

- You need one headphone for every different kind of music. (The lame "Grado for rock, Sennheiser for classical")

- Balanced is the only way to go baby! (Maybe low power single ended OTL amps with zero feedback sucks for hard to drive phone like HD650?)

- You need to pay $1,500 for your headphone otherwise they're not high-end man! (And use that stock crappy cable 'cause we all know cable don't make a difference)

- You can't judge a piece of gear before 500 hours burn-in. (The funny thing is if you look at the old posts it was 50 hours in 2002, then it increases with every years, LOL. More seriously do you think new high-end mics are burned-in before a recording session? ha ha ha. Burn-in is real but it's not a night and day difference, get real!)

- Another nasty insidious myth want the HD600 to be better than HD650. I think we should go back to the HD414, they nail it so good 40 years ago! Who need better sound?

May 9, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #145 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then of course there's also the myth #2: That it's okay to give advice on how something sounds based on something you read on Head-Fi.

Would this be myth #3?
It's okay to give impression on how something sounds but one has never tried the thing.

May 9, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #146 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(The lame "Grado for rock, Sennheiser for classical")

Ha! I admit this strict pigeonholing is off, but for me it really is "Sennheiser for classical + Scott Walker's "The Drift", Grado for everything else"
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #147 of 223
Quote:

.... The fact that discussing the scientific method with regard to certain audio claims <cough>recabling</cough> is expressly forbidden here, says a lot about how certain myths are perpetuated.

Kerry M

The scientific method is not banned here but the use of the term DBT as a synonym for scientific method is, because it isn't (a synonym that is)
wink.gif

May 9, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #148 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha! I admit this strict pigeonholing is off, but for me it really is "Sennheiser for classical + Scott Walker's "The Drift", Grado for everything else"
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, its more like Grado for rock, Sennheiser for everything else. And thats close to truth FOR MY EARS.
cool.gif

May 9, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #149 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a few myths that i recall off, but I preffer to keep them for myself, the most remarkable one is while people say that the heapdhones offer more value for the sound than speakers, I have literally spent almost three times more in heapdhones, so go an figure...and my speakers, nothing fancy a pair of axioms, still hold the candle pretty tight in front of them...

Axiom M3s? Remarkable little speakers! No myth there!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back