The Worst Myth at Head-Fi.....?
May 5, 2007 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 223

Exit Pupil

100+ Head-Fier
it has to be that the HD650 has a veil. ohh how i've tried to find it, this veil they all talk about. just did the hearing thresholds through the hd650 at http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html
from one of the other threads, and i'm pleased to report, from my ears, the 650 is sweet and pure through the mid to extreme top, ultimately extending further than the sometimes shrill mdr7506.

what is the origin of this myth?
is there another myth around here that can equal this?

May 5, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 223
It's not a myth.

The HD650 has a distinctive sound that can be described as a "veil." There's some lack of details and resolution in the upper-midrange and treble area.

You either hear it or you don't. You won't hear it just listening to the HD650, you need to compare it with other headphones.

Associated gear such as sources, amps and cables may reduce the effect of this "veil" somewhat.

May 5, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 223
Cable burn-in.

May 5, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
#1 headfi myth: That it's possible to know how something sounds based on something you read on headfi.

ROFL x2!

May 5, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 223
Veil is not a myth. However, I have found that many other cans have a similar veil. Once you hear a headphone that distinctly does NOT have any such veil (best example I've heard -- K1000), and you listen to the HD650, the veil will come like a punch in the face.

May 5, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 223
#1 Head-Fi myth:

you can disguise a Senn Veil thread and get away with it
tongue.gif

May 5, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROFL x2!

ROFL - X3!

May 5, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it has to be that the HD650 has a veil. ohh how i've tried to find it, this veil they all talk about. just did the hearing thresholds through the hd650 at http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html
from one of the other threads, and i'm pleased to report, from my ears, the 650 is sweet and pure through the mid to extreme top, ultimately extending further than the sometimes shrill mdr7506.

senn veil = ~4db recession around 4-6khz

It may not be readily noticeable to you if these are your only/first headphones, or you are accustomed to stereo speakers. IMHO many "high end" speakers also have this characteristic. The designers do it intentionally because most people prefer to attenuate tones around the eardrums natural resonance. But spend some time with a headphone that does not exhibit this and the difference is night and day.

Biggest myth = IEMs do not benefit from amplification. If you pick an amp that COLORS the sound, it can dramatically alter the "enjoyment level" of an IEM. A low gain amp can DRAMATICALLY reduce hiss and noise.

May 5, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
#1 Head-Fi myth:

you can disguise a Senn Veil thread and get away with it
tongue.gif

Hey there, N.C.

I still have your old HD600's and I do use them from time to time. I've moved a fair bit into the world of Stax, but I still do enjoy the Sennheisers. They may be slightly "veiled" compared to some other cans, but the detail is all there and they don't beat my ears up.

Cheers!

May 5, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How long did it take for you come to this conclusion? Was it before, or after, you joined head-fi?

May 5, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Skullcandy makes bad headphones. In actual fact, they're very good at their purpose.*

Their purpose, of course, being large, expensive paperweights.

Exactly what I was going to say.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back