The Woo Audio 2
Jul 7, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #301 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The WE 421A is just a rebranded Tung-Sol 5998. It is the same tube.

It may be truth. Their structure are totally the same
But someone else say only latter version is manufactured by tungsol, and I hardly find the oldest version branded by tungsol.
It is very strange.
Maybe someday I buy geniune WE300B and amp, and then I can know whether WE421 can produce WE sound or not.
beyersmile.png

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #302 of 1,750
Hey everyone, I had my lucky day today, both my philips rectifiers AND my tung sram preamp tubes arrived (thanks Xenithon). I rolled them in (I must say I am getting better at it) the very low hum noise is now GONE the higher hum and random static remain though, not really static, noise like what you hear if an mp3 is badly encoded. I am sure part of it is ground loop since the noise at least goes away if I touch the volume pot. I am hoping that the new power cord I have ordered will fix it.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #304 of 1,750
Has anyone compared WA6 maxxed with WA2 maxxed? Driving HD650, K701, HF-2. Which one is better overall? I know that WA2 is an OTL and WA6 is a trafo coupled amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #305 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone compared WA6 maxxed with WA2 maxxed? Driving HD650, K701, HF-2. Which one is better overall? I know that WA2 is an OTL and WA6 is a trafo coupled amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Although I have not heard maxxed WA6 or WA6SE, my understanding from reading this forum is that WA6SE is better value compared to maxxed WA6. And WA2 has more laid back sounds when compared to WA6SE. I think I read more comments about ppl prefer WA6SE's more upfront, punchy quality. But then this really depands on the music styles you litsen to. If the budget is concerned, maxxed WA6 is okay, but why not save just little more for either WA2 or WA6SE.
I chose WA2 just because I prefer single chasis and my listennings are mostly jazz. The only downside of WA2 is the price of tubes. I never thought about the tube prices, but some of tubes are freakin expansive!
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #307 of 1,750
EZ80 Matched or not????????????????

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #308 of 1,750
Hi everyone, My akg k340 arrived today. I have to crank the volume of the woo a lot more open then usual, its at 8, i have the stepped pot. It certainly does not sound bad though, although the hig notes/trebble are a bit different, not as aggressive, forward/harsh then what I am used too. Trebble does not really spark.
On th eohter hand soundstage, detail are great and bass is good too although not as slamming as I am used too but then this is akg we are talking about.
I really like the midrange of these.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #309 of 1,750
K340's require a lot of juice to drive them! So no surprise you need to crank the WA3 a bit.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #310 of 1,750
Hello, I just won a pair of siemens e88cc goldpint tubes on ebay \9for a very nice price too) very interested how they will sound in the woo (since these are preamp tubes, hopefully I will be able to hear the difference between the old ones and the new ones because imho the most difference is heard by changing the power tubes). I also bought a pair of mullard 6v4 tubes, made in England. I must say, i am doing more tuberolling then I anticipated when buying the woo.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #312 of 1,750
Wow!

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #313 of 1,750
Bump.....
beyersmile.png

I ordered my maxxed Wa2 last week......
Can I inquiry what IC and Power cable everyone use for WA2?
I am very curious about this topic....
Now I have three power cable: MIT shotgun AC1, Oyaide tunami, DIY Cardas, Iego NO. L70810III
Do I have to buy another one?
dt880smile.png

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #314 of 1,750
Can someone describe the Woo Audio 2? What is the design topology? Tube set? Can it drive a K1000? Price?

And sound: does it tend toward bright or dark? Is it "hot" in the presence region ( a lot of amps are---I tend to find that fatiguing)? How is the bass?

Thanks,
Mike

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #315 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone describe the Woo Audio 2? What is the design topology? Tube set? Can it drive a K1000? Price?

And sound: does it tend toward bright or dark? Is it "hot" in the presence region ( a lot of amps are---I tend to find that fatiguing)? How is the bass?

Thanks,
Mike

Did I dream or all the answers are in the 1st post of this thread ?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back