The Woo Audio 2
Jul 1, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #241 of 1,750
If I am reading this thread correctly, Jack has added remote control of the Woo 2. Please let me know if this is correct and if so what functions the remote has such as volume, mute (soft or hard), source, etc and how much it adds to the price. I am a big proponent of remote control of headphone amps because the idea set up for me puts the amp farther away than arms length. By the way, I did look on the website, but I may did not find the remote control option if it exists.

In an unrelated matter, my listening is frequently interrupted. So I was wondering, how long the Woo 2 takes to warm up and how long it can be left on without overheating or otherwise being damaged. I know the longer it is on, the shorter the tubes will last, but tubes can be replaced while damage to the amp is much more of a problem.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #242 of 1,750
Has anyone tried HD800 on this?

Let us hear how you like it.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #243 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried HD800 on this?

Let us hear how you like it.

+1
I also want to know what PS1000 is paired with Wa2
At this time, I prefer to buy a Transformer Headamp , WA6SE for my K702.
However, I planed to buy PS1000,
gs1000.gif
maybe HD800 in the future.....

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #244 of 1,750
Hello, the hd800 is not available yet in large parts of the world (in fact its only availabl ein the usa). I will be trying my wa2 with k702 soon and am hoping for good results.
I think Jack woo can make a remote control upon request but I do not think its a standard accessory. I would email him with your requests, he tends to answer all questions quickly.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #245 of 1,750
Hey, Thanks for that tip! I wanted to buy a usb to spdiff converter anyway for my further dac because I hear usb input on costly dac is rather poor so maybe I will make that my first priority now even with the ibasso d10. I had no problems with solid state amps and less sensitive headphones. I guess I will have to do some research into those kind off converters. I was looking at the empirical devices offramp 3 but.... costly......
Greetings, Anouk,
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have settled on the Tungsram EZ80 and I did notice an improvement.

@Anouk- Are you using usb or optical from your laptop?

I had the same problem using usb with any tube amp. I purchased a usb to spdif converter and everything is silent once again. My experiences with tube amps and usb have been noisy. Using SS or hybrids with usb everything is dead quiet, but straight tubes different story.
I don't know if it was RFI or ground loop, however, it was annoying. The usb to spdif cleared everything up.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #246 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Thanks for that tip! I wanted to buy a usb to spdiff converter anyway for my further dac because I hear usb input on costly dac is rather poor so maybe I will make that my first priority now even with the ibasso d10. I had no problems with solid state amps and less sensitive headphones. I guess I will have to do some research into those kind off converters. I was looking at the empirical devices offramp 3 but.... costly......
Greetings, Anouk,

My pleasure Anouk. I have the Behringer UCA 202

uca202.jpg

The Pop Pulse PC Link II

pclink02.jpg

pclink01.jpg

And I'm setting up the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro as I type this. ...All setup now....

2911810702.jpg

2911810704.jpg

You won't be disappointed.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #248 of 1,750
Quote:

Hey, i know this is rather ooc for this thread but what do you think is the best one? And do they require a power connection or do they get power through usb? I know that bel canto has one too....
Greetings, Anouk,

No worries...This is all relevant to the WA2 to work around with the USB if you don't have optical.
biggrin.gif

All are powered by the usb only. The Pop Pulse works on usb power only when using usb as input. If you want to use optical input to coax output, you need the power supply which is included.

The Pop Pulse has various input/output options and also uses the C-Media 108 chip. When you update the C-Media 108 drivers, you get a nice control panel with several options.

I have used all with Foobar- ASIO, WASAPI and Kernel Streaming and with Winamp- ASIO, Kernel Streaming and they all work great.

If I had to choose, I'll pick the Pop Pulse for all the various input / output options...

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #249 of 1,750
Quote:

Greetings, Anouk,

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No worries...This is all relevant to the WA2 to work around with the USB if you don't have optical.
biggrin.gif

All are powered by the usb only. The Pop Pulse works on usb power only when using usb as input. If you want to use optical input to coax output, you need the power supply which is included.

The Pop Pulse has various input/output options and also uses the C-Media 108 chip. When you update the C-Media 108 drivers, you get a nice control panel with several options.

I have used all with Foobar- ASIO, WASAPI and Kernel Streaming and with Winamp- ASIO, Kernel Streaming and they all work great.

If I had to choose, I'll pick the Pop Pulse for all the various input / output options...

Anouk - the D10 has a very nice USB DAC already, and I don't see that other USB to S/PDIF converters will do much better unless you get the Bel Canto 24/96 USB to S/PDIF box for $500.

But, the Pico DAC-only for $350 has a great USB to Analog DAC that is a little better than the D10 via USB. Although Pico wont do native 24/96 files like the Bel Canto, the Bel Canto requires you to feed it's coax output into another DAC and the Pico is the DAC. If you have the D10, it probably isn't worth upgrading unless you get a MUCH nicer/costly DAC.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #250 of 1,750
Hey Larry thanks for your reply in here! Wow I did not know the bel canto was THAT expensive! And I think the empirical devices unit is even more so especially with clockupgrades. No, I dont think that getting the pico dac-only would be very practical for me. Well, I guess I will think about the bel canto or off ramp some more and see if there arent any second hand ones (I guess not very likely because I think they are both fairly new).
Thanks Larry (as always!)
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #251 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I am reading this thread correctly, Jack has added remote control of the Woo 2. Please let me know if this is correct and if so what functions the remote has such as volume, mute (soft or hard), source, etc and how much it adds to the price. I am a big proponent of remote control of headphone amps because the idea set up for me puts the amp farther away than arms length. By the way, I did look on the website, but I may did not find the remote control option if it exists.

In an unrelated matter, my listening is frequently interrupted. So I was wondering, how long the Woo 2 takes to warm up and how long it can be left on without overheating or otherwise being damaged. I know the longer it is on, the shorter the tubes will last, but tubes can be replaced while damage to the amp is much more of a problem.

The remote option on the WA2 is a custom job that is not officially promoted as it requires a complete redesign of the 'normal' WA2's interior layout. If I remember correctly, Jack charged an extra $400-500 for this option. I chose to only have remote volume control. However, Jack also offered a more radical redesign the eliminated the round input selector and replaced it with buttons both on the remote control and the amp. That option makes the WA2 look like a completely different amp (bigger chassis, etc.) and is a lot more expensive. I got the remote option along with the parts upgrade package and recently sent it back in to get the RCA sockets replaced with WBT's and the unit modified to the latest status (using the power tubes for preamp duty, which my now 1 year old unit did not have). See pictures attached.

As far a length of uninterrupted listening is concerned, Jack warns to not go longer than 8 hours. I have read threads of people here who turn it on when they come home from work and turn it off 1-2 hours before bed time. Then they turn it back on to let it run all night, turn it off when they get up and turn it back on before leaving for work.

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #252 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anouk - the D10 has a very nice USB DAC already, and I don't see that other USB to S/PDIF converters will do much better unless you get the Bel Canto 24/96 USB to S/PDIF box for $500.

But, the Pico DAC-only for $350 has a great USB to Analog DAC that is a little better than the D10 via USB. Although Pico wont do native 24/96 files like the Bel Canto, the Bel Canto requires you to feed it's coax output into another DAC and the Pico is the DAC. If you have the D10, it probably isn't worth upgrading unless you get a MUCH nicer/costly DAC.

Agreed Larry....The D10 has a nice DAC already...My posts were not about the better DACs. It was in reference to his noise problem using WA2 via usb. On my other laptop (Vista), I have optical and it is dead quiet with the WA2 using any of my DACs. On those same DACs if I use the usb input with my XP laptop (does not have optical) with the WA2, there is noise (static, cracking etc.). These converters are a workaround for the noise issue with the WA2 or other straight tube amps when using input from usb.....
They will not replace the current DAC used, just be used as a bridge to be able to use optical instead of usb to rid the noise.

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #253 of 1,750
Hey! Somehow I forgot about this before but I can of course try my iriver and see if this has the noise problem, it has an internal cf-card and can be connected through optical to the d10. I will try that now.
I will first wait for my new tubes and upgraded power cord to arrive and to have them installed till I buy any converter anyway but thanks a lot for all the help and suggestions,
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #254 of 1,750
Hey, well i have got it working after a few tries! optical/lineout didnt want to work at first but it isnow. Man that little player is sounding sooooooo good, it makes me (again!) rethink my decision to sell it. That utterly black background..... There is less noise now, although I will have to compare it to my usb laptop, the random noise is gone ALTOGETHER! I will have to listen with the music off and turn the volum eof the wa2 up to see if the low hum is still there but at least the absence of the random noise is a relief.
And the iriver just sounds so good. I think i will cancel that for sale once more.
Greetings, Anouk,.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #255 of 1,750
Hey, I need a new open phone to use with the wa2 and since all the current wa2 owners seem to congregate here I thought I would link to my thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hel...-hd800-432433/
So far the dt880 or dt990 ehter 250 or 600 ohm seem the most likely choices or the sennheiser hd600 although I am a bit skeptical about that one sinc eI did NOT like the hd650.
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back