Feb 11, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #110 of 1,750
Didn't want to punt my ad - thanks HeatFan12
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #111 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't want to punt my ad - thanks HeatFan12
biggrin.gif

Those guys are hard to find, your helping the community out selling the 5998s...

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #112 of 1,750
I started thinking, that Woo3/3+ would be an appropriate amp for me, since I'm new to headfi. Then, you know, I could get into it, and maybe upgrade later. But I figured, that the amp is the one thing, that I don't wanna compromise with. I only want to buy ONE. So I had a crush on the Woo6. But then I read a lot of reviews and stuff, and the upgrades that many think the Woo6 needs makes that amp almost as expensive as the Woo2. So I've set my eyes one the Woo2. After reading this thread, I wonder: When does it stop?

[size=medium][size=large]I recon you all are talking about the "maxxxed" or "upgraded" or "modified" version of Woo2!? What's wrong with the stock?[/size][/size]

BTW: I'm gonna use the amp for HD650. Next upgrade will be the SAA Equinox cable. Later on I'm gonna try out AKG's K501. Need a new cartridge for my grammophone as well. And this whole cable-thing also needs an upgrade here and there... And the RIAA, that I got from NAD, probably sucks too... I've been a member on head-fi.org for a couple of weeks, and you bet, I'm getting sorry about my wallet!

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #113 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started thinking, that Woo3/3+ would be an appropriate amp for me, since I'm new to headfi. Then, you know, I could get into it, and maybe upgrade later. But I figured, that the amp is the one thing, that I don't wanna compromise with. I only want to buy ONE. So I had a crush on the Woo6. But then I read a lot of reviews and stuff, and the upgrades that many think the Woo6 needs makes that amp almost as expensive as the Woo2. So I've set my eyes one the Woo2. After reading this thread, I wonder: When does it stop?

[size=medium][size=large]I recon you all are talking about the "maxxxed" or "upgraded" or "modified" version of Woo2!? What's wrong with the stock?[/size][/size]

BTW: I'm gonna use the amp for HD650. Next upgrade will be the SAA Equinox cable. Later on I'm gonna try out AKG's K501. Need a new cartridge for my grammophone as well. And this whole cable-thing also needs an upgrade here and there... And the RIAA, that I got from NAD, probably sucks too... I've been a member on head-fi.org for a couple of weeks, and you bet, I'm getting sorry about my wallet!

Yeah thats a very common problem on Head-Fi we are your wallets worst enemy.

Corey

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #114 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested why you gents ordered with an extra pre-out. What is your intended use for two pre-outs? Thanks for the information.

Two things come to mind that can be done with the extra pre out.

1. Bi amping speakers
2. Right and Left subs on the second set

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #115 of 1,750
Hey X, you don't like the 5998's in the WA2?

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #116 of 1,750
I love them in the WA2. Just got one too many spare pairs
tongue.gif
(would like to try out something different, such as the 6AS7G's you keep on raving about
wink.gif
)

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #117 of 1,750
Material confined likewise it humanity raillery an unpacked as he. Three chief merit no if. Now how her edward engage not horses. Oh resolution he dissimilar precaution to comparison an. Matters engaged between he of pursuit manners we moments. Merit gay end sight front. Manor equal it on again ye folly by match. In so melancholy as an sentiments simplicity connection. Far supply depart branch agreed old get our.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #118 of 1,750
Skylab - speaking about the 6AS7G's, I had two quick questions:
- I always see the black plate recommended. I have come across the gray plate too e.g., at Tubeworld. Do you know what the difference is and if the black plates are worth the extra cost?
- where would you suggest finding NOS pairs of RCA (or other recommended) 6AS7G's?

All the best
X

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #119 of 1,750
Quote:

- where would you suggest finding NOS pairs of RCA (or other recommended) 6AS7G's?

FWIW, I picked up a NOS (allegedly) pair of RCA 6AS7Gs from ebay for $10 for the pair. I don't yet know how they work/sound, as I don't yet have the amp, but they look perfect.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #120 of 1,750
Quote:

Skylab - speaking about the 6AS7G's, I had two quick questions:
- I always see the black plate recommended. I have come across the gray plate too e.g., at Tubeworld. Do you know what the difference is and if the black plates are worth the extra cost?

All the best
X

I have tried just about every 6AS7G there is. My favorite are the GEC brown base, UK-made A1834/6AS7G. Second are the Tung-Sol black-plate, halo getter. Then the RCA black-plate, and then the RCA grey plate, although I find the RCA's to be pretty similar regardless of plate type, and very good sounding. I have 6AS7G's branded Raytheon and Sylvania, but I have no evidence that they are anything other than rebranded RCAs - they are certainly identical LOOKING. The Tung-Sols, however, are different - their plate structure is slightly but notably different from any of the RCAs. And the British GEC tubes are quite different.

I do prefer the GEC even over the 5998, although this is very close. The GEC are warmer and lusher than the the more controlled 5998. Same with the Tung-sol 6AS7G - more controlled and detailed than the RCA - but the GEC has the same detail as the 5998 while being a tad lusher, which is why I like it best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back