The Woo Audio 2
Feb 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #76 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My "it" tube is definitely the Amperex 6dj8 Orange Globe Holland made; it's a very very smooth sounding tube. I like the stock power tubes, but I'm still looking for that special power tube. I'll take any recommendations on 6AS7s, 6080s, or anything else that would work and give a smooth sound.

Tung Sol 5998 for the 6AS7 spot, or JAN CRC RCA 6AS7G.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #77 of 1,750
I agree with HeadphoneAddict. The Tung-Sol 5998 is TERRIFIC. Far more engaging than the GE 6AS&GAs that came stock.

I'm using a pair of Japanese Amperex 6DJ8s that are very nice, and was impressed, as Jamato8 suggested somewhere, with a pair of bogus Russian Amperex 6DJ8s I found recently.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #78 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My "it" tube is definitely the Amperex 6dj8 Orange Globe Holland made; it's a very very smooth sounding tube. I like the stock power tubes, but I'm still looking for that special power tube. I'll take any recommendations on 6AS7s, 6080s, or anything else that would work and give a smooth sound.

As for 6080 or equivalent, I would like to recommend the Tungsol 7236 and the Bendix 6080. The 7236 is a computer-rated 5998 (whatever that means) and is fast and detailed with nice vocals. The Bendix 6080 is smoother and more laid-back. Personally, I like the 7236 in my Extreme.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #79 of 1,750
Quote:

...Bendix 6080...

I recently tried some 6080's and their base was too wide to fit in the WA2. From images I have seen, the Bendix would have the same issue.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #80 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently tried some 6080's and their base was too wide to fit in the WA2. From images I have seen, the Bendix would have the same issue.

Crap, I forgot about that issue with the WA2. Aside from installing a socket saver, is there any way Jack can modify the chassis or opening to accomodate the bigger based 6080?

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #81 of 1,750
Those top plates are CNC machined probably off site. You wouldn't want someone taking a dremmel to it to make the opening larger. That would hurt!

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #82 of 1,750
I admit I'm just a newbie when it comes to "tubes hunting" but I didn't found yet these Tung-Sol 5998 which seem highly acclaimed for the WA2. Any online shops you would recommend ? thanks

Edit : I've just noticed there is a dedicated thread to tubes store... I'll dig into it ! Seems to be what I need
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #83 of 1,750
I picked up a very nice NOS matched pair of 5998s from www.tubeworld.com, but I am sure I paid too much. Now I am hunting for some nice but cheap 6dj8s on ebay, but I keep losing. Still have weeks to go before I get the WA2, so I am sure something will turn up. Am I correct in my understanding that it is less important that the drive tubes be matched pairs than the power tubes?

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #84 of 1,750
Damn, I shouldn't have read that topic... The amp seems as good as it looks !

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #85 of 1,750
All this WA2 love is just overwhelming... or .... I could say about bloody time. I suppose some are just a bit slower to catch on than others.
bigsmile_face.gif

cheers
Simon

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #87 of 1,750
One of the best reviews I've ever read! I think you single-handedly swayed me over from a WA6SE to this!

I have a few questions for anyone who has this amp or can offer an advice.

1) How will my SR-225's go with this until I can get my GS1000's? This might be close to 8 months, I still need a good DAC too!

2) Is it worth getting the stepped attenuator? I'm still not exactly sure what it does other than something to do with volume adjustment...

3) Would I be better off with a WA6SE? How about a stock WA4? My music taste is largely ambient, indie and rock if that matters. Also, I don't have any plans to move away from Grado's for quite a while, so should the low impedence of them play a role in the decision?

4) Why do some of the pictures on the WA site show the amp with two outputs and others with only one? What does the basic price get you?

Oh, and if anyone can control the US dollar, feel free to sway that in my favor too!
gs1000.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #88 of 1,750
Finding the tubes you read about here often seems to be a matter of luck and timing. And a LOT of nosing around on the Internet.

About tubes that are too big: if they sit securely, even though they obviously aren't all the way in, they should be ok. I've had a couple in my WA2 and there was no problem.

Jamato8 had a suggestion about this on a WA6 thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...5/index24.html

Elsewhere in that thread he says that the attenuator makes some difference (again, in the WA6), but it's not huge. It is better quality, but the stock one isn't "bad" in any sense. I think part of the deal with stepped attenuators is that they "click" from setting to setting, so you can retain or get back to exactly the same volume level...

Someone wrote somewhere about having Jack eliminate one of the two RCA outputs to clean up the signal path. You can also get the WA2 with no pre-amp function (no RCA outputs and whatever goes with them). Same price, some improvement in SQ, Jack said. I decided to keep the pre-amp section, although I don't know if I'll ever use it.

I have Denon D2000s, which have an impedance of something like 25-30. I originally asked Jack about the 3 or 6, and he suggested the next step up, to the 2. I haven't heard the others, but I am ridiculously happy with the 2.

Black is so cool looking. And it does pick up dust. But dust is the least of my problems.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #89 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by David_N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How will my SR-225's go with this until I can get my GS1000's?

I have never heard either of these Woo amps, BUT, if you plan to use Grados, I think the WA6SE is the better choice, since it is transformer coupled and as such will do better with the very low impedance Grados. The WA2, while undoubtedly fantastic sounding, is an OTL (output transformerless) amp, and so is better, generally, for high impedance headphones. It may well sound great with the Grados, but it is still asking it to do something it isn;t really good at. At least on paper, the 6SE is the better Grado partner.

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #90 of 1,750
Thanks Skylab, that's what I was thinking. I guess I'll carry through with my plan to order the WA6SE/Sophia Rectifier, but I'm not sure whether or not I'll get the parts upgrade (I'd like to, but money is an issue...). I'm still not sure what the benefit of the attenuator is though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back