The Woo Audio 2
Jan 29, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #61 of 1,750
I got my WA2 in the mail today. It was left at my front door and as my wife walked in, she remarked, "um, it looks like you got something in the mail; there's a box here." Yeah, 'something'.. it's my amp babe. Anyway, the thing is beautiful. I haven't plugged it in as I'm on the way out, but expect some impressions soon. Mine is a stock unit, and I'll be using stock tubes to burn it in and get to know its character. After that, I'll start rolling.

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #63 of 1,750
Can you take some internal pictures so we can compare it to JayG's maxed out WA2?

Thanks,

Glenn

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #65 of 1,750
X3
atsmile.gif

Here I am, I've just placed an order for this WA2 with the blackgate output cap... !!!
now, I just have to wait ! I feel it will be long weeks !
Damnit ! the very high USD has hurt me !

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #66 of 1,750
Man, all these posers with their new WA2s - I was loving mine before they were cool
tongue_smile.gif

Seriously though, I would agree that it is a superb amp - mine continues to impress me well over a year after I bought it (though I think the Naim CD5i I got over the summer may have had something to do with that too). I would like to add too that mine continued to improve with use for a LOT longer than any other piece of electronics I have ever owned - dunno whether this was mainly down to the Blackgates burning in, the tubes or a combination of the two.

I know the OP was keen to hear from other WA2 owners, regarding their impressions of the sound of the amp. Despite the difference in headphones (I have HD600s and a pair of K701s), I would agree with pretty much all of what was said - the blackness of the background, the ability to separate instruments well (while still sounding cohesive) and the great dynamic range are all things that I love about the WA2.

I was very interested to see some more opinions of tube rolling - I am still running my original tubes, although I did add the Tung-Sol 5998s when I ordered the amp. I been wondering about getting either a pair of Amperex 6DJ8s or maybe some 7308s for a while now so it's nice to know that the gains are noticable.

In response to Smoothsound's question about using the WA2 as a preamp - I have used mine in my speaker setup, though only briefly using my Rotel RA-03 as a power amp and a pair of B&W 683 floorstanders. While I was certainly impressed, I have not had a chance to directly compare it to anything other than my pretty low end SS Rotel stuff and so I can't really tell you how it stacks up against any of the brands listed

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #67 of 1,750
Been listening to the amp for a bit since I got it, but I'm going to hold off on official impressions. Although, the amp has some spectacular qualities, I'm getting an annoying bump in frequency in the 1K-3K range, and that annoyance is rendering the music quite unenjoyable. This could be due to a need for burn-in, a lack of synergy between components (K701s and MHDT Paradisea+) or both. It also could be inherent to the amp. I've tried an equalizer (on the pc) that helps some, but not completely, besides I don't want to have to use an EQ. Until I isolate the problem and hopefully ameliorate it, I'm going to hold off on a review. I did check the internals, just to see, and they look exactly like the BG modified internals... other than the fact that the caps aren't BGs of course.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #68 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been listening to the amp for a bit since I got it, but I'm going to hold off on official impressions. Although, the amp has some spectacular qualities, I'm getting an annoying bump in frequency in the 1K-3K range, and that annoyance is rendering the music quite unenjoyable. This could be due to a need for burn-in, a lack of synergy between components (K701s and MHDT Paradisea+) or both. It also could be inherent to the amp. I've tried an equalizer (on the pc) that helps some, but not completely, besides I don't want to have to use an EQ. Until I isolate the problem and hopefully ameliorate it, I'm going to hold off on a review. I did check the internals, just to see, and they look exactly like the BG modified internals... other than the fact that the caps aren't BGs of course.

That doesn't sound right. Maybe worth contacting Jack and seeing if he has any thoughts?

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #69 of 1,750
The tubes probably need to settle in a bit.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #70 of 1,750
Quote:

You may need to let the amp develop a bit. I've had the pleasure of running in several nice tube amps from new and it really does take time. A bit of tube rolling and about a year to really develop the relationship. I wouldn't part with either one of them now. Relax, it'll happen. You got a sweet amp

cheers,

RW

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #71 of 1,750
Quote:

Been listening to the amp for a bit since I got it, but I'm going to hold off on official impressions. Although, the amp has some spectacular qualities, I'm getting an annoying bump in frequency in the 1K-3K range, and that annoyance is rendering the music quite unenjoyable. This could be due to a need for burn-in, a lack of synergy between components (K701s and MHDT Paradisea+) or both

Not noticed anything similar with K701s on my WA2, but I did buy them quite some time after the amp, by which point everything would have been nicely settled down. Like others have said, I'd give it a bit of time and see if it changes.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #72 of 1,750
Quote:

Although, the amp has some spectacular qualities, I'm getting an annoying bump in frequency in the 1K-3K range, and that annoyance is rendering the music quite unenjoyable.

I am pretty sure that the WA2 uses 6DJ8 tubes right. If your stock tubes are the JAN Phillips then that 1K-3K bump is not going to go away. I had the same problem with these in my tube DAC. They have some good qualities but the top of the midrange just sucks IMO.

Get a pair of JJ Teslas. They run about $20 for a set. The Teslas are more laid back and sweet sounding which I am assuming (based on your choice of gear) is more your style. Also, I have read that the JAN Sylvania 6922 are the JAN Phillips without the annoying 1k-3k bump. I haven't tried them out for myself but if you otherwise really like the JAN Phillips they might be worth a shot.

If you end up getting the Teslas I will be really interested in hearing your impressions after burn-in. It sounds like we have similar tastes and I have been thinking about getting either a WA2 or a WA6 for quite sometime now.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #73 of 1,750
So, after an op-amp switch here and a tube roll there... and some pixie dust, I've managed to mostly get rid of the 1-3K Hz bump. Additionally the amp continues to improve with burn-in. Interestingly, it seems there's more improvement each time I turn on the amp after cool down than there is listening after a burn-in session. Either way, the magic is beginning to shine through. As it is now, it's a wonderful amp, but there are areas I wish would improve. But again, the amp continues to improve, and with some tube hunting and rolling I imagine this amp could be "the one." I'll write up some formal impressions once it no longer continues to improve with burn-in and once I've settled on a satisfactory set of tubes.

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #74 of 1,750
Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear given that my WA2 is on its way. Out of curiosity, what tubes have you had the most luck with so far?

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #75 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear given that my WA2 is on its way. Out of curiosity, what tubes have you had the most luck with so far?

My "it" tube is definitely the Amperex 6dj8 Orange Globe Holland made; it's a very very smooth sounding tube. I like the stock power tubes, but I'm still looking for that special power tube. I'll take any recommendations on 6AS7s, 6080s, or anything else that would work and give a smooth sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back