The Woo Audio 2
Jun 25, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #1,638 of 1,750
After 13 years having the WA2, finally using 6080 power tubes in it. :astonished::sweat_smile:

Raytheon 6080WBs, Tung Sol 396A/2C51s, Mullard EZ80s on a rainy night in MIA. Sounding delicious.

Cheers! :beerchug:

WA2 & Raytheon 6080WB (2).jpg
WA2 & Raytheon 6080WB (3).jpg

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #1,639 of 1,750
After 13 years having the WA2, finally using 6080 power tubes in it. :astonished::sweat_smile:

Raytheon 6080WBs, Tung Sol 396A/2C51s, Mullard EZ80s on a rainy night in MIA. Sounding delicious.

Cheers! :beerchug:

WA2 & Raytheon 6080WB (2).jpgWA2 & Raytheon 6080WB (3).jpg
You have to love those “Yaytheons”….that’s how they make me feel (in WA3 as well) 😄

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #1,641 of 1,750
You have to love those “Yaytheons”….that’s how they make me feel (in WA3 as well) 😄

:smile: Yessss! Always a Yay factor with the Raytheon bad boys.

Glad You have managed to get the extenders. Where have You bought them?

Thanks for the help B,

Those are from Amazon. I also purchased 2 from pulsetubestore. Will interchange them between WA2 and DV336SE.

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #1,642 of 1,750
RFT foil getter EZ81 s, Thomson-CSF 6080WA s, Telefunken ECC801S s, and ZMF Atrium (w/Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid)…🎼😊🎵☁️☁️🌈
7AFCF688-3650-4425-8DD2-552D5B6226A1.jpeg

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #1,643 of 1,750
Of all the "gifts" I've bought for myself in my lifetime, I think the WA2 might be my best purchase. Upgraded with good tubes, a few tweaks, and other decent equipment, and it's just transporting. For the thousands upon thousands of hours of pleasure, even euphoria, it's given me, I just can't imagine a better bargain. So thank you, Jack Woo.

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #1,644 of 1,750
Of all the "gifts" I've bought for myself in my lifetime, I think the WA2 might be my best purchase. Upgraded with good tubes, a few tweaks, and other decent equipment, and it's just transporting. For the thousands upon thousands of hours of pleasure, even euphoria, it's given me, I just can't imagine a better bargain. So thank you, Jack Woo.
What tubes etc are you using with your WA2?🙂

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #1,645 of 1,750
Hi WA2 owners,

I love my WA2 so much that I have now started using it as a preamp. It’s now connected to a class A/B power amp (from Odyssey Audio).

QUESTION: When turning on the WA2 (and when turning it off) the tubes pop. It’s not loud enough to harm my speakers, but it’s decently loud and fairly disconcerting (and annoying!)…

Any tips on avoiding this?

Otherwise I’ll have to starting either turning off the power amp (thus keeping it from staying warmed up/fully ready to play) or disconnecting the interconnects between the amps…

Thanks in advance!

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #1,646 of 1,750
Hi WA2 owners,

I love my WA2 so much that I have now started using it as a preamp. It’s now connected to a class A/B power amp (from Odyssey Audio).

QUESTION: When turning on the WA2 (and when turning it off) the tubes pop. It’s not loud enough to harm my speakers, but it’s decently loud and fairly disconcerting (and annoying!)…

Otherwise I’ll have to starting either turning off the power amp (thus keeping it from staying warmed up/fully ready to play) or disconnecting the interconnects between the amps…

Thanks in advance!
Could you keep a pair of headphones plugged in then unplug after warmup?

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #1,647 of 1,750
Could you keep a pair of headphones plugged in then unplug after warmup?
Great suggestion/idea!

Unfortunately the WA2 does not mute the preamp output when headphones are plugged in (strange, I know)… otherwise I would do exactly that.

If I were an experienced electrical engineer, I’d install a muting relay or something myself.

Or if Woo Audio did mods to order, I’d happily pay for the modification…

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #1,648 of 1,750
Hi WA2 owners,

Thanks in advance!
You should be able to avoid the loud pops by turning on the WA2 first, followed by the power amp a few seconds later and reverse the sequence during power off; turn off the power amp first, then turn off the WA2 a few seconds later.

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,649 of 1,750
Great suggestion/idea!

Unfortunately the WA2 does not mute the preamp output when headphones are plugged in (strange, I know)… otherwise I would do exactly that.

If I were an experienced electrical engineer, I’d install a muting relay or something myself.

Or if Woo Audio did mods to order, I’d happily pay for the modification…
Darn. In that case the only other thing I can think of is adding a something like a schiit sys between the wa2 and your amp. Adding another component in the chain isn't ideal, but that depends on how annoying reconnecting your rca wires is :)

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #1,650 of 1,750
You should be able to avoid the loud pops by turning on the WA2 first, followed by the power amp a few seconds later and reverse the sequence during power off; turn off the power amp first, then turn off the WA2 a few seconds later.
Thank you- I might have to do this, at the risk of always losing some warm-up benefit for my power amp, but no big deal per se for the short term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back