The Woo Audio 2
Oct 6, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,426 of 1,750
  I do note however, that the pre-amp function of the WA2 is no longer part of the device.  I had not encountered that information anywhere in the discussions, but I may have missed it.  It is stated on the Woo Audio website.  It is a little disappointing, but headphones are my primary listening output so it’s not a big deal for me.

I just checked the website and noticed it doesn't mention pre-amp anymore (except for one of the quoted reviews), and the picture showing the rear of the WA2 has in the caption "pre amp output (discontinued)", so it must have been changed at some point between your order and now.

Interesting that they removed it though -- I imagine that most users don't use the amp for it's pre-amp ability, but I always thought it was a nice bonus to have. Is it just empty where the output used to be?

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,427 of 1,750
  I just checked the website and noticed it doesn't mention pre-amp anymore (except for one of the quoted reviews), and the picture showing the rear of the WA2 has in the caption "pre amp output (discontinued)", so it must have been changed at some point between your order and now.

Interesting that they removed it though -- I imagine that most users don't use the amp for it's pre-amp ability, but I always thought it was a nice bonus to have. Is it just empty where the output used to be?

Correct, the PRE output was recently deleted from WA2. We are working on a much improved dedicated preamplifier. Stay tuned in 2017.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #1,428 of 1,750

Correct, the PRE output was recently deleted from WA2. We are working on a much improved dedicated preamplifier. Stay tuned in 2017.

That's a shame for new owners of the WA2 that the preamp output was deleted. It was one of the main reasons I bought the WA2 in the first place. With the killer tube upgrades I have, the preamp function is outstanding.

I never like to see a product take a backward step.....the WA2 lost capability and value. I love my dual function WA2.  If I was buying today, I would search high and low for a used model with preamp capability.

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #1,431 of 1,750
  Sorry to hear WA2 has lost the pre-out.  Thou I use it as a headphone amp, the pre-out is linked to a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium power amp.      And it works wonderfully.

It looks like Audio Advisor still has the WA2 with the preamp output. If anyone is interested, I would recommend getting it while there are still a few around.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WAWA2

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,432 of 1,750
Wowsers. Search this thread for "Gumby" or "gungnir" and get no results. HeHe.

Just upgraded my dac from dac-19 10th AE to Gumby and i gotta say its making me much happier with bass from the WA2 / T1 gen1 combo. After having my WA2 for awhile and finally getting tubes i like dialed in, i was thinking the bass was a big bloomy and loose but now i think it was mainly coming from the dac-19 / PCM1704. 

Anyone else using their WA2 with a Gumby or yggy? If so which tubes have you found to your liking and which HP's are you using?

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #1,433 of 1,750
Hey guys,

I have had WA2 for quite some time and I love it. Unfortunately it seems that my power tubes are dying, since I'm getting some ringing which comes and goes and is extremely irritating so I'm looking for a replacement. Could you guys share some tips with me please ?

ps: Right now, I've got 2399 Tung Sol/Chathams which from my research should be similar as 5998's. and for driver tubes I'm using Siemens CCa's which are absolutely wonderful.

Thanks a lot, Flisker o/

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,434 of 1,750
Hey guys,

I have had WA2 for quite some time and I love it. Unfortunately it seems that my power tubes are dying, since I'm getting some ringing which comes and goes and is extremely irritating so I'm looking for a replacement. Could you guys share some tips with me please ?

ps: Right now, I've got 2399 Tung Sol/Chathams which from my research should be similar as 5998's. and for driver tubes I'm using Siemens CCa's which are absolutely wonderful.

Thanks a lot, Flisker o/
For me and my preferences the gec 6as7g is all I need

I have the Tung sol 5998 and bendix wb6080 and a couple of less expensive ones but IF you enjoy detail in your music the the gec6as7g tubes are it

Extension on both ends is great. Great dynamics and detail retrieval.

I roll quite a few driver tubes but the gec's are it!!
I do sometimes put some others in when just comparing and the Tung solos are good, but for me the gec is at another level.

I enjoy using these and rolling my driver tubes for different sound character.

They are not cheap however I have found a few relatively cheap even though they may not be perfectly matched and I have had NO problem with them. One of mine does sometimes have a slightly audible hum when no music is played but I'm not fussed by that considering I picked it up for less than half the price that better tubes would be.

This is all for me and my hd800. So totally YMMV

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #1,435 of 1,750
For me and my preferences the gec 6as7g is all I need

I have the Tung sol 5998 and bendix wb6080 and a couple of less expensive ones but IF you enjoy detail in your music the the gec6as7g tubes are it

Extension on both ends is great. Great dynamics and detail retrieval.

I roll quite a few driver tubes but the gec's are it!!
I do sometimes put some others in when just comparing and the Tung solos are good, but for me the gec is at another level.

I enjoy using these and rolling my driver tubes for different sound character.

They are not cheap however I have found a few relatively cheap even though they may not be perfectly matched and I have had NO problem with them. One of mine does sometimes have a slightly audible hum when no music is played but I'm not fussed by that considering I picked it up for less than half the price that better tubes would be.

This is all for me and my hd800. So totally YMMV

Hi, 

thanks for fast reply! Yes I really enjoy detail that's why I like CCa's as driver tubes, but "GEC 6AS7G", is it this tube : http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-6AS7G-Curved-Brown-Base-NIB-/232263614738?hash=item3613fd8112:g:5gsAAOSwImRYclFG ?

It's seriously expensive, too much for my wallet :- ( right now.

Is there some solid mainstream power tube that is more affordable and still has nice detail ?

What about something like this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-5998A-6AS7-421-NOS-GE-USA-Valve-Tubes-/112147940604?hash=item1a1c89c4fc:g:qrgAAOSwNRdX5xf5 ?

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #1,436 of 1,750
Hi, 

thanks for fast reply! Yes I really enjoy detail that's why I like CCa's as driver tubes, but "GEC 6AS7G", is it this tube : http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-6AS7G-Curved-Brown-Base-NIB-/232263614738?hash=item3613fd8112:g:5gsAAOSwImRYclFG ?

It's seriously expensive, too much for my wallet :- ( right now.

Is there some solid mainstream power tube that is more affordable and still has nice detail ?

What about something like this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-5998A-6AS7-421-NOS-GE-USA-Valve-Tubes-/112147940604?hash=item1a1c89c4fc:g:qrgAAOSwNRdX5xf5 ?
i understand that.

From what uve heard and read i'd stay with the chathams or tung sol 5998 which i believe are the same or pretty muxh the same. These have good detail again and good punch.

But others here will have other preferences.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #1,437 of 1,750
  Hey guys,

Thanks a lot, Flisker o/

I'm also a fan of the GEC 6AS7G, I bought a few pairs several years ago and almost feel guilty for using them (I'll get over it).

In my opinion, 5998/2399 are the best bang for the buck. They are also stupidly priced; but seem a bargain compared to the GEC.

5998A aren't anything at all like a 5998. They will work, you won't like them. 7236 are a nice sounding, lower priced option (sometimes). I prefer Tung-Sol, others like Sylvania.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #1,438 of 1,750
  I'm also a fan of the GEC 6AS7G, I bought a few pairs several years ago and almost feel guilty for using them (I'll get over it).

In my opinion, 5998/2399 are the best bang for the buck. They are also stupidly priced; but seem a bargain compared to the GEC.

5998A aren't anything at all like a 5998. They will work, you won't like them. 7236 are a nice sounding, lower priced option (sometimes). I prefer Tung-Sol, others like Sylvania.

I have Sylvania 7236, but those are also dying :D (got them with amp) , they are not as pleasant as Tung-Sol 2399 from short listening test.

Would you have some tip on where to get 5998/2399's for decent price ? There is not much of them on ebay and if there are some, it's pretty expensive (400$ what the ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAIR-TUNG-SOL-TYPE-5998-VACUUM-TUBE-NOS-1967-DATED-421A-/222429101711?hash=item33c9cebe8f:g:pJ8AAOSwSzdXCm1A)

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #1,439 of 1,750
La
I have Sylvania 7236, but those are also dying :D (got them with amp) , they are not as pleasant as Tung-Sol 2399 from short listening test.

Would you have some tip on where to get 5998/2399's for decent price ? There is not much of them on ebay and if there are some, it's pretty expensive (400$ what the ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAIR-TUNG-SOL-TYPE-5998-VACUUM-TUBE-NOS-1967-DATED-421A-/222429101711?hash=item33c9cebe8f:g:pJ8AAOSwSzdXCm1A)
Last time i checkeed, about a year ago, im thinking yiu could get a decent pair of ta5998 for about $250USD (or close to) with a little patience. 9-12 months ago that is

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #1,440 of 1,750
La
Last time i checkeed, about a year ago, im thinking yiu could get a decent pair of ta5998 for about $250USD (or close to) with a little patience. 9-12 months ago that is

Ok, thanks for the number :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back