The Woo Audio 2
Feb 21, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,111 of 1,750
HD 650 and DT 990-600 both work really well with the WA2. 

and the HD 800s work really well with the WA2. i typically enjoy them with 5998/7236 tubes.

Today actually i just received a pair of RFT EZ80 i bought from ebay after seeing how its a solid choice for an EZ80. and i thinking im starting to really really like the HD 800. the smoothness, clear treble, transparency, its just such a good rectifier, a little better than the Tesla EZ81 i was using and much better than the stock rectifier. 

This is from page 50 from Dubstep Girl, who I consider a tube rolling master.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,112 of 1,750
  Oh boy, I would be interested in hearing the WA2 + HD-800's myself. I can't even imagine the soundstaging you'd get with some of the tube combos (7236 power tubes come to mind...)

I'd guess you might need to be wary of the top end as I've heard this is the biggest nitpick of the 800's (if there is something to nitpick). The WA2 can be warm, smooth and airy though, so I'd think it would sound very nice with 800's... sorry I haven't auditioned them with it, but I'll try at the next meet. I'm hesitant to get a pair as I'm in love with the 650's myself.

Personnally i have no problems with the top end i find them  to have  very well balanced sound for me ,your not talking Denon bass quantity but a better quality bass  and depending on recording no shortage of bass either but it is more neutral sounding compared to lets say Denons and this is with the Burson Conductors Dac.great for classical . Montreal show coming up from 27 to 29 march  always interesting but at the same time for me it was an eye opener because of where im at gearwize the more expensive gear is only subtancially better imo so that cured me of any upgraditist i was thinking of .Auditioning first is always better.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #1,113 of 1,750
Bought them, will be here Tuesday. Will let you know my thoughts after I hear them. Thanks!

Hey Walls

You will love those tubes with your T1s! They will improve the details, imaging and soundstage nicely. What driver tubes are you using? Upgrading the driver tubes has almost as much impact as the power tubes on your SQ.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,114 of 1,750
I am using the stock tubes, even though I have had the amp over a year it has sounded so good that I haven't really had a desire to roll tubes. What tubes are you all using for the drivers then?

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,115 of 1,750
I am using the stock tubes, even though I have had the amp over a year it has sounded so good that I haven't really had a desire to roll tubes. What tubes are you all using for the drivers then?

I have 2 tubes I can highly recommend:
I am currently running a pair of Siemens CCAs and these tubes are amazing, exquisite details, completely transparent with great imaging. I also like the Amperex 6922 PQ white label. These have a beautiful smooth presentation. Not as transparent or detailed as the CCAs but slightly warmer signature and a joy to listen to.

Everything else I have tried fall behind these 2. There are a couple good deals presently on eBay on these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-CCa-1-pair-E88CC-ECC88-/111601665113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fbfa4459
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Amperex-PQ-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-tubes-Large-getter-Test-NOS-/181665182452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4c16b2f4

Very good prices, probably due to the poor printing on the tubes. That happens, the tubes can still be NOS or very close to it.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,116 of 1,750
Hey guys

Got a couple of GEC 6080 tubes in my WA2 right now and they sound phenomenal... absolutely stunning sound. I'd like to comment some more, but I am going to ship them off to @billerb1 because I want him to hear them too. They're paired up with some Holland Miniwatt driver tubes, and I really feel like I'm getting the full experience from these tubes.

Without sounding like a lunatic, the experience that I'm having is that I feel like the individual layers of the music are suspended in the air for me to admire, like clouds in the sky. I've always felt like really nice tubes seem to "slow everything down" and allow me to experience the music in a way that is organic and fulfilling beyond belief.

Alright, enough crazy talk! @Franatic I am seriously considering CCa's now and I can't even imagine how great your WA2 sounds with the GEC 6AS7G's... damn.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,117 of 1,750
Mikoss, look at you, waxing poetic about your tubes and sound quality!!. You're like me in that all this is magic to you. I love to hear someone who gets so much enjoyment from their music...as do I :)

Glad you love the GEC 6080s. They do get topped by their big brother, the GEC 6AS7G. This tube has a similar sound , but just does everything a little better.

I guess you didn't read my post #1097 about the 421As.....the GEC 6AS7Gs are currently on the sideline. Those 421As are heaven. Soooo much air!! It's very much like the way you described the 6080s above. I would love for you to hear these...but can't part with them......yet. So very good are these tubes!!  :)

Kudos to you for parting with your GEC 60680s so @billerb1 can check them out. That is incredibly kind of you since you just got them and love them so much.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,118 of 1,750
@Franatic rolling the famous WE 421A's!? Excellent! I think you pretty much have the dream machine WA2 now. Have you thought to roll different driver or rectifier tubes at all, or is everything all dialled in to perfection?

The only thing that worries me is I only have the Ei EZ80's that came with my WA2 and maybe someday they'll die. They seem to be a bit elusive to find online, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right spots. Also, not entirely sure which rectifier tubes are 100% compatible with EZ80's.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #1,119 of 1,750
EZ80 = 6V4 (also known as CV1535)
EZ81 = 6CA4 (also known by U709, UU12, CV4058, CV5072)

both easily availble and other good NOS examples by Mullard, Mazda, Telefunken, Tungsram, Philips and RTF. I like the Mullard best.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,120 of 1,750
  EZ80 = 6V4 (also known as CV1535)
EZ81 = 6CA4 (also known by U709, UU12, CV4058, CV5072)

both easily availble and other good NOS examples by Mullard, Mazda, Telefunken, Tungsram, Philips and RTF. I like the Mullard best.

And sorry, the big question... EZ81 is completely compatible with the EZ80's? As in, they can be rolled into the WA2?

edit: Google'd around and found this from AK:
The EZ80 and EZ81 are pin compatible, but their specs are different.
EZ81 has lower R(a):120Ohms vz 300Ohms on EZ80;
EZ81 can handle higher current I(dc): 100mA vs 90ma oof EZ80
EZ81 can handle twice ripple current I(r): 500mA vs 270 of EZ 80

and apparently someone posted here saying Jack says the WA2 can handle the extra current in the rectifier circuit from the EZ81's.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #1,121 of 1,750
The only thing that worries me is I only have the Ei EZ80's that came with my WA2 and maybe someday they'll die. They seem to be a bit elusive to find online, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right spots. Also, not entirely sure which rectifier tubes are 100% compatible with EZ80's.

Just bought some on eBay. I had heard good things about them in the wa2 so thought I'd give it a try. Seller from England. Here is their site, but I went through eBay. Lots of feedback. http://pmcomponentsnos.co.uk/Ei-EZ80

I actually recieved them today. Have not gave them a listen yet though.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,122 of 1,750
  And sorry, the big question... EZ81 is completely compatible with the EZ80's? As in, they can be rolled into the WA2?

edit: Google'd around and found this from AK:
The EZ80 and EZ81 are pin compatible, but their specs are different.
EZ81 has lower R(a):120Ohms vz 300Ohms on EZ80;
EZ81 can handle higher current I(dc): 100mA vs 90ma oof EZ80
EZ81 can handle twice ripple current I(r): 500mA vs 270 of EZ 80

and apparently someone posted here saying Jack says the WA2 can handle the extra current in the rectifier circuit from the EZ81's.

Yes, they're listed on the compatible tubes chart for the WA2. I've got a pair of RFT EZ81 in mine right now. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,123 of 1,750
EZ80's and EZ81's are good to go in the WA2.  Switched awhile back from the RFT EZ80's which I was running when I was using the TS5998's.  I got somehow addicted to the TS7236's and found that my current Brimar EZ81's accentuated that new elegant 7236 sound signature more to my ears.
Shout out to mikoss for his generosity and congrats to Franatic for his THEFT of those 421's !!!!  You guys rock.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,124 of 1,750
  EZ80's and EZ81's are good to go in the WA2.  Switched awhile back from the RFT EZ80's which I was running when I was using the TS5998's.  I got somehow addicted to the TS7236's and found that my current Brimar EZ81's accentuated that new elegant 7236 sound signature more to my ears.
Shout out to mikoss for his generosity and congrats to Franatic for his THEFT of those 421's !!!!  You guys rock.

Those 421As Rock.....and I roll :)) I also like the Brimars, I have the EZ80s. They have stayed in my amp since I got them, and you know nothing stays that long unless I'm convinced it's best. My top 3: Brimars, RFT then EI...all EZ80s. The good news is the rectifiers are cheap, you shouldn't have to spend more than $30/pair.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #1,125 of 1,750
Just bought some on eBay. I had heard good things about them in the wa2 so thought I'd give it a try. Seller from England. Here is their site, but I went through eBay. Lots of feedback. http://pmcomponentsnos.co.uk/Ei-EZ80

I actually recieved them today. Have not gave them a listen yet though.

Wow, do not buy these. Put them in the woo yesterday. Warmed them up for at least half an hour. Half a second of some distortion sound occurred on warm up. I figured no big deal. Sometime within the first half hour the music started making horrible sounds so I quicky turned it off. Reseated everything and tried again. Then it kicked my power amp into protect mode. Pulled out the ez80's immediately and replaced with stock EH I had. Distortion on warm up still there. I got very worried. Replaced all tubes. All is good now.

Seems like they ruined at least one other tube in the chain. I didn't have time to notice if noise was coming out of both speakers. The sound is that horrible loud sound like when you accidentally turn off power amp with preamp still on.

Just felt I needed to give a warning to you guys. This seller gives warranty on tubes, but they're defintely going back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back