The Woo Audio 2
Jan 22, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #1,081 of 1,751
Looking for info/impressions on Tung Sol 5998 burn in...

Just threw in some NOS 5998's and I'm finding they go extremely deep and sound very powerful, but the highs sound rather "shaky" - almost a static/sibilant feeling to them. It reminds me of clipping, but I'm certain that my DAC and levels are all good.

Hoping that the highs will tame in the next 20-40 hours... anyone have experience with this as well?

I also bought another pair and one of them hums slightly; it's audible between songs on headphones, but masked with speakers as they aren't quite as revealing. Bummer. Guess I'll leave them for my speakers, although I actually prefer 6AS7G's with my speaker setup as I think they gel better.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,082 of 1,751
  Looking for info/impressions on Tung Sol 5998 burn in...

Just threw in some NOS 5998's and I'm finding they go extremely deep and sound very powerful, but the highs sound rather "shaky" - almost a static/sibilant feeling to them. It reminds me of clipping, but I'm certain that my DAC and levels are all good.

Hoping that the highs will tame in the next 20-40 hours... anyone have experience with this as well?

I also bought another pair and one of them hums slightly; it's audible between songs on headphones, but masked with speakers as they aren't quite as revealing. Bummer. Guess I'll leave them for my speakers, although I actually prefer 6AS7G's with my speaker setup as I think they gel better.

I had tubes that humming  dissapeared after a while time will tell 

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,084 of 1,751

I had tubes that humming  dissapeared after a while time will tell 

Cool. It's just one from a matched pair and they're NOS, so I guess it's a possibility. I'll update if it changes.

Then theres a good chance they will inprove if there NOS hope for the best 

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,085 of 1,751
So here's a quick update:

- I bought two pairs of NOS Tung Sol 5998s... both pairs had one tube that was giving me a lot of grief (pops, hissing, humming, sounding like wind blowing through my ears, etc).

- Spent about 3 hours meticulously cleaning the pins on the tubes, as they were looking a bit oxidized (I used baking soda with a bit of water and scrubbed the pins as much as I could, then rinsed them very carefully with water, then used a q-tip with 91% alcohol to very finely clean them up, then water again.)

One pair is now working 100% without any trouble at all... they sound fantastic.

The other pair, one tube is now humming consistently. It's not my WA2, because it works absolutely fine with any other tubes.

Should I try cleaning the humming tube again? Or let it sit in the amp and heat up for a couple of hours? Don't really want to hook up my headphones or speakers, as I'm afraid the humming might get worse...

Appreciate your advice guys.

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,086 of 1,751
  So here's a quick update:

- I bought two pairs of NOS Tung Sol 5998s... both pairs had one tube that was giving me a lot of grief (pops, hissing, humming, sounding like wind blowing through my ears, etc).

- Spent about 3 hours meticulously cleaning the pins on the tubes, as they were looking a bit oxidized (I used baking soda with a bit of water and scrubbed the pins as much as I could, then rinsed them very carefully with water, then used a q-tip with 91% alcohol to very finely clean them up, then water again.)

One pair is now working 100% without any trouble at all... they sound fantastic.

The other pair, one tube is now humming consistently. It's not my WA2, because it works absolutely fine with any other tubes.

Should I try cleaning the humming tube again? Or let it sit in the amp and heat up for a couple of hours? Don't really want to hook up my headphones or speakers, as I'm afraid the humming might get worse...

Did you talk to the seller about this,see what he says maybe hes going to say  send them back or burn them in a little longer ask him see what he says .after all you didnt get them free.

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,088 of 1,751
Hey Mikoss, send them back. I have 2 pair of 5998s and they do not humm, nor are they microphonic either. I wonder if they got damaged in shipping.
My pairs each have one tube with a little piece of glass floating in them that the sellers told me about. It is why I got them for $150 a pair. This happens to them sometimes. They play perfectly though.

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,089 of 1,751

Quote:
  Hey Mikoss, send them back. I have 2 pair of 5998s and they do not humm, nor are they microphonic either. I wonder if they got damaged in shipping.
My pairs each have one tube with a little piece of glass floating in them that the sellers told me about. It is why I got them for $150 a pair. This happens to them sometimes. They play perfectly though.

Same here no problems either                                                                                                                                                        

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,090 of 1,751

Keep using it. I know it's annoying, but there's not much to do other than using them. If the humming sounds rather like ringing, there is a chance that it disappears after a few on/off cycles (and most often when you've already given up on the tube). If it sounds more like rattling, then a tube damper helps in some instances. A simple silicone o-ring might be worth a try in order to check whether it helps at least a bit.
But chances are low in my experience, so I hope you can return it. If not, you still have one tube that works. You have enough time to look out for another one with similar build & measurements.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,091 of 1,751
I have not done much research on this amp yet...so i am going to ask a couple of questions here.

How does this amp pair with the HD800

A rough estimate ....how much a great set of tubes cost to match with the HD800

I would want to grab a couple of nice sets to roll, if I decided to go this way.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #1,092 of 1,751
  I have not done much research on this amp yet...so i am going to ask a couple of questions here.

I would want to grab a couple of nice sets to roll, if I decided to go this way.

I find that the pairing with HD800 is terrific! I use TS5998, RFT EZ80, and Mullard CV2493. My HD800 has the Anax2 mod, also.

I recently picked up a Beyer T1 and find that it has very good synergy with the WA2, as well. Will probably sell both the T1 and LCD2.2.F because I prefer the HD800 so much.

YMMV.

beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,093 of 1,751
By the way, if anyone is interested I have a NOS pair of rare Tung Sol 6520's, a premium version of the 6AS7G.
Would sell for $99 + $12 for insured USPS Priority shipping (CONUS only).  I'll eat the PayPal fees. 
PM me if interested.  They'll be available until I post "SOLD" here.

Are these domino or standard plate version? Post a pic of them. What are the test values for them?

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,095 of 1,751

Absolutely love hd800 with my WA2. While I've upgraded a lot of things the wa2 has stayed. I've spent about 600 on tubes, but honestly was still blown away with the stock tubes. For one thing, the hd800s pair nicely because I think the 300 nominal impedance matches up well with the wa2 power output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back