The Woo Audio 2
Jan 5, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #1,051 of 1,751

I hope to add the 5998 sooner rather than later.  I just missed a sale on the m here recently but will keep looking.  thanks for the HP comparisons.  I love the 650s and don't think I could ever sell them.  I remember thinking long and hard before I bought those due to the "high cost."  Now I realize what a tremendous bargain they are as I venture deeper into the woods.

I absolutely adore the HD650's with the WA2... it's a match made in heaven. (I bought and sold HE-500's since owning my HD-650's as well... I just love their romantic sound with OTL amps).

Did you add an ebay search notification for Tung Sol 5998 tubes? That's what I did and picked up a matched pair today for $200... if you're into buying from ebay sellers, of course.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,052 of 1,751
I got a pair of Tung Sol 7236 to pair with my late 2014 WA2. Unfortunately, the noise floor was just raised too high for me to enjoy. Overall I'd say it was an improvement on the stock tubes (mainly improved clarity and energy), but there was noticeably increased sibilance. The sibilance and noise floor just outweigh the positives too much so I'll be sending them back.

Leads me to wonder if it was my tubes or some change to the recent WA2s, since the TS 7236 seem to be generally well regarded. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,053 of 1,751
  I got a pair of Tung Sol 7236 to pair with my late 2014 WA2. Unfortunately, the noise floor was just raised too high for me to enjoy. Overall I'd say it was an improvement on the stock tubes (mainly improved clarity and energy), but there was noticeably increased sibilance. The sibilance and noise floor just outweigh the positives too much so I'll be sending them back.

Leads me to wonder if it was my tubes or some change to the recent WA2s, since the TS 7236 seem to be generally well regarded. 

not by me, i think they suck on WA2 and i even preferred the sylvania 7236 over them, the 5998 and GEC 6080 kill them as well. but a lot of people do like them since they sound better than stock tubes and some people do enjoy how they sound..

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,054 of 1,751
I've used Tung-Sol 7236s on and off and rather like them. I prefer 5998s or GECs; but I have a couple pairs of the Tung-Sol 7236s for backup. Mine are dead quiet with an inaudible noise floor. The 7236 emphasized the treble harshness in my Beyer T1s, I'd be hard pressed to distinguish that from sibilance. The 7236s were my power tube of choice with Senn HD650s. They pretty much "deveiled" them.
I'm presently using a pair of Chatham 2399s on the WA2 (and trying to decide if SE from a WA2 is better than balanced from a Ragnarok).

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #1,055 of 1,751

That's not the TS7236s, that's your pair of TS7236s. I've owned a few pairs and they were dead silent in my WA2 and WA22. Actually some of the most quiet I've owned. I would see if you can send them back as there's an issue with them.

not by me, i think they suck on WA2 and i even preferred the sylvania 7236 over them, the 5998 and GEC 6080 kill them as well. but a lot of people do like them since they sound better than stock tubes and some people do enjoy how they sound..

I thought the TS7236s were better than the Sylvanias (Skylab turned me onto them years ago and I agree with him). The GEC didn't have the heft I wanted for orthos, but were quite good with the HD800s...but I do agree that the TS5998s were better still. 
redface.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,056 of 1,751
I've got the 7236s packed up and ready to send back. I also have a pair of 6AS7Gs coming in at the end of the week so I will probably give those a shot before ordering another pair of 7236. Just not quite ready to drop $350+ on a set of NOS 5998! 
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #1,057 of 1,751
  I've got the 7236s packed up and ready to send back. I also have a pair of 6AS7Gs coming in at the end of the week so I will probably give those a shot before ordering another pair of 7236. Just not quite ready to drop $350+ on a set of NOS 5998! 
tongue.gif

The TS5998s have been hunted into almost extinction. Wish I held onto my 3 pairs...sold them for $120 per pair several years ago.

But Woo does sell the TS7236 for $160 for the pair...much better than the stock tubes (and the output power is about doubled...if I remember correctly). Totally worth the upgrade IMO.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,058 of 1,751
i used to have 6 pairs of 5998, and a super nice pair of taller 2399s with copper posts 
frown.gif

i can't believe how much price has gone up now, but they are still the standard imo, more power, more bass, and overall noise and microphony free. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #1,059 of 1,751
  I absolutely adore the HD650's with the WA2... it's a match made in heaven. (I bought and sold HE-500's since owning my HD-650's as well... I just love their romantic sound with OTL amps).

Did you add an ebay search notification for Tung Sol 5998 tubes? That's what I did and picked up a matched pair today for $200... if you're into buying from ebay sellers, of course.

agree the HD650 are a great headphone.  to me probably the best bang for the buck i could find.   Great idea on the eBay search notification -just added them - especially for a hard to find item like the 5998.  thanks

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,060 of 1,751
tongue.gif

I put a rule in place I would not pay more than $200 pair for power tubes. Then I patiently hunted for the power tubes I was interested in: TS5998, GEC 6080, WE 421A & GEC 6AS7G The latter 2 will never be $200/pair. I had the TS 7236 and was not impressed.
I found 2 NOS matched pairs of TS 5998 for $200/pair in September when an Ebay seller had many pairs listed. This tube is very open, powerful and detailed...and quite neutral in tone.
I found GEC6080s for $150/pair at ValveTubes.....after I tried and liked them I bought 2 more pairs. They are harder to find than the TS 5998s. This is a great sounding tube, very musical with a touch of warmth, but not the power of the TS 5998s. He has sold out that batch of stock. I know he has acquired more but the price has gone up. Email them for a quote if interested.
So now I have a lifetime supply of power tubes for this amp. Happy hunting.....I wonder how rare and expensive these tubes will get in the future. At this point it is kind of like investing in stock. It seems I've committed to a long term relationship with my WA2 :wink:

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,061 of 1,751
Hi guys I just wanted to ask on here what do ye think is a good price to sell my 2 year old WA2?? 
The reason I'm asking is because I'm not too familiar with american prices - I can get more for it over here 
in Europe but it might not sell as easily here.

I will be selling it with TS 5998  Jan Silvania 7308  RFT EZ80 - used but id say the tubes still have over 4000 hours left on them

I also have a pair of RCA 6as7gs and Svetlana 6as7g unused and all the stock tubes 

Do you think 950 dollars is a fair enough price for the amp and all the tubes? 

Thanks Paddy 

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,062 of 1,751

i used to have 6 pairs of 5998, and a super nice pair of taller 2399s with copper posts 
frown.gif

i can't believe how much price has gone up now, but they are still the standard imo, more power, more bass, and overall noise and microphony free. 

My 2399s look and sound identical to a 5998, I do have a couple pairs of 5998s with copper posts and flat black plates (no dimples).

Quote:

So now I have a lifetime supply of power tubes for this amp. Happy hunting.....I wonder how rare and expensive these tubes will get in the future. At this point it is kind of like investing in stock. It seems I've committed to a long term relationship with my WA2 :wink:

That's pretty much where I am, though I've stopped using my GEC 6AS7Gs because it seems the tubes are worth more to other people than they are to me. I'm not sure at what point the same will happen to 5998s. I have at least a dozen pairs of 5998s and 2 pairs of GEC 6AS7Gs. I never thought of the WA2 and tubes as an investment; but it seems that is the case.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,063 of 1,751
When you invest in tubes and cable, etc for your equipment you have to kind of know yourself. There are many audiophiles who go through equipment like crazy. If that is the case you are better off not investing too much in tubes.

My current plan is to maximize my current equipment with cables and stuff, keep my WA2 and Exposure amp long term. I will keep my Monitor Audio GX100s speakers and my T1s, but get a cable upgrade for my T1s. I will continue to tweak my 2 pc streamer. The place I may yet upgrade is the DAC. However, this ifi idsd micro is pretty awesome and I hope to be happy with it for awhile.

I've been at this "audiophile" thing for a little over a year. It is a very expensive hobby. I hope to finish that plan by the end of the year and then STOP..........but I am beginning to fear that my not be possible....is there a 12 step program for "Audioholics"
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,064 of 1,751
I've definitely been checking regularly on the TS 5998 and GEC 6080, but they either sell out before I even seen the notification email or are too far above what I would like to pay. Doesn't help when you guys are hoarding them! 
tongue.gif
 just kidding, just kidding~

Depending how things work out over the next couple of weeks, I may just go around buying various cheaper tubes and hope to find something that I really like. At the very least, it'll be easier to get my hands on the cheap tubes if I need more. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,065 of 1,751
When you invest in tubes and cable, etc for your equipment you have to kind of know yourself. There are many audiophiles who go through equipment like crazy. If that is the case you are better off not investing too much in tubes.

My current plan is to maximize my current equipment with cables and stuff, keep my WA2 and Exposure amp long term. I will keep my Monitor Audio GX100s speakers and my T1s, but get a cable upgrade for my T1s. I will continue to tweak my 2 pc streamer. The place I may yet upgrade is the DAC. However, this ifi idsd micro is pretty awesome and I hope to be happy with it for awhile.

I've been at this "audiophile" thing for a little over a year. It is a very expensive hobby. I hope to finish that plan by the end of the year and then STOP..........but I am beginning to fear that my not be possible....is there a 12 step program for "Audioholics":confused_face(1):

It's not about stopping but the journey....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back