The Woo Audio 2
Nov 23, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #1,727 of 1,750
Checking in to wish all my Head-Fi friends a Happy Thanksgiving.
Likewise and thank you Bill!

I’ve been very grateful for your wisdom this past year. Here’s to more musical fun and memories as we commence towards the holidays! 🥂

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,728 of 1,750
Checking in to wish all my Head-Fi friends a Happy Thanksgiving.
Also, to you. May the only turkey of the day come with gravy 😋.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,729 of 1,750
I am just curious, has anyone tried the Audeze LCD5 with the WA2? Understood the LCD5 is low impedance but I've seen others mention using low impedance headphones with success. I know IEM's are the real no no. Thanks

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #1,730 of 1,750
I am just curious, has anyone tried the Audeze LCD5 with the WA2? Understood the LCD5 is low impedance but I've seen others mention using low impedance headphones with success. I know IEM's are the real no no. Thanks
I've tried LCD-2 and LCD-3 with WA2. It's not bad, but they're held back, less dynamic, sounds darker. I enjoyed it and some might like it, but you're definitely tweaking the sound. I know some like their grados with the wa2. It boosts the bass but makes it less tight.

If you like by it, you like it!

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #1,731 of 1,750
Hi WA2 thread,

This amp is awesome! I just got it, but I must tinker. With a couple of other amps, I’ve had very good results with replacing inter-stage coupling caps, but this is my first OTL amp, so I’m curious if there are other considerations that might be more important in this topology (like output coupling caps). I’ve read back in this thread - haven’t done the whole thing, but I did go back about 20 pages and searched it and read the relevant other pages in this thread and a couples of others. It appears that there were a couple of conversations about output caps or just caps replacement for this amp in general that fizzled out. Also a, Google search yielded a couple of other forums where it appears that people set out the replace power supply capacitors and promised to report back with results but did not, so I can only assume that they were instantly vaporized.

I’m curious if anyone here feels that the currently used stock models of output coupling caps, PSU filtering caps, etc. would benefit from replacing. Not that it isn’t already great - it is, and I’m still stuck on the stock Tungsram ECC88 driver tubes until Tuesday. I’m sure that it was well designed within its budget, but just looking to see if there are any high-yield tweaks that others have found helpful. I have never had much of a benefit from power cord replacements that I have tried with other equipment, not that it can’t work, but it may be the equipment I tried it on or that my ears aren’t sensitive to that specific set of benefits. I haven’t tried a fuse upgrade in the past, so I will consider. I have definitely heard the differences with coupling capacitors on a number of occasions, so I’m most keen to learn about others’ experience with them in this amp. I want to see how far it can go, but I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised as to how amazing this amp sounds out of the box. It has vastly exceeded my expectations!

Cheers, and thanks in advance for your input!

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,734 of 1,750
@Promee Do you have the WA22 as well?
Yes indeed! They are sitting here staring each other down at the moment, but will probably end up in different rooms if I wind up keeping both...

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #1,735 of 1,750
Yes indeed! They are sitting here staring each other down at the moment, but will probably end up in different rooms if I wind up keeping both...
I stil have both 😄

An old picture from an old post/comparison I wrote

1000012154.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #1,736 of 1,750
I stil have both 😄

1000012154.jpg
That’s a beautiful shot! Do you continue to find both of them useful? Is one winning out?

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #1,737 of 1,750
I stil have both 😄

1000012154.jpg
You can feel the tension in that photo-

“I can out-muscle a 300 Ohm headphone better than YOU can!”

😂

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #1,738 of 1,750
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #1,739 of 1,750
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #1,740 of 1,750
Oh, lol! I read this when deciding to get the WA22. Thanks for writing it - very helpful! I should read again now that I have heard both to see what context emerges in my addled psychoacoustic universe 😆

Haha, good to know someone is reading it 😆

I am planning on the doing a Sennheiser HD6** ... WA2 will be an essential part of that article

Users who are viewing this thread

Back