The Woo Audio 2
Oct 31, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #1,711 of 1,750
Yes, my experience has been the same. I would highly recommend Tung-Sol (ideally milspec JAN) 5998s, though they are pricey and/or hard to find. Their air (ie perceived space between instruments/performers) and clarity is hard to beat. But in my case I have occasional noise issues, possibly due to a leaky tube.

A “budget” alternative power tube is the 7236- I use a pair of USN Tung-Sols that are quite good. They are very quiet with tight bass, but give up clarity and air vs. the 5998s. Then again, sometimes there can be too much clarity, IMHO, so I don’t mind using the 7236s due to their silence and reliability.

Things get really interesting on the input tube side… it’s a jungle out there! 😂

Let me know if you have further questions- but I would definitely recommend buying fewer/better tubes once you know what you like. In the long run it will save you a lot of money…
Lots of good info. Thx!

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,712 of 1,750
For Woo WA2, do not underestimate the importance of the rectifier tubes (EZ81). Sonic differences between 5998s and 7236s / 6922s and 7308s pale in comparison.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #1,713 of 1,750
For Woo WA2, do not underestimate the importance of the rectifier tubes (EZ81). Sonic differences between 5998s and 7236s / 6922s and 7308s pale in comparison.
Good to know. I have a lot of reading ahead of me tonight:)

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,714 of 1,750
Interesting. For some reason I didn't do much tube rolling on the rectifiers, just upgraded them once. I did however do a lot of rectifier rolling on the WA22 and it surely made a huge difference.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,715 of 1,750
Interesting. For some reason I didn't do much tube rolling on the rectifiers, just upgraded them once. I did however do a lot of rectifier rolling on the WA22 and it surely made a huge difference.
And that’s with one rectifier for both channels on WA22. When there is a rectifier per channel, the potential for improvement in WA2 sound grows …

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #1,716 of 1,750
Glad I got those RFT foil getters early then, thanks to you @jonathan c ! 😁

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #1,717 of 1,750
Lots of good info. Thx!
Feel free to DM too if existing posts leave open questions.

I did a bit of posting over on the Amps & Sound Pendant SE tube thread recently because of some of the tube similarities and the higher activity level among those thread participants… (TL;DR - get 12A-7 adapters for your input tube sockets. 😊)

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #1,718 of 1,750
Agreed, except I very much prefer the EZ80! The power and driver tubes can give you more detail of/emphasize certain frequencies, but a good rectifier gives you more clarity.

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,719 of 1,750
Other manufacturers should be embarrassed by how well built and premium this unit is for the price. I bought mine new last year for $1150 on sale. Build quality and sound is on par with equipment 3x the price. Lovely sound and I haven’t really even started rolling tubes yet.

Build quality on the Woo stuff is totally excellent. When it comes to sound quality, let's just say you are definitely paying a premium for the case work.

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #1,720 of 1,750
Build quality on the Woo stuff is totally excellent. When it comes to sound quality, let's just say you are definitely paying a premium for the case work.
I haven’t really come across anything in its price range that sounds better. From what I understand, tubes take it to the next level. Love mine as is.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #1,722 of 1,750
I haven’t really come across anything in its price range that sounds better. From what I understand, tubes take it to the next level. Love mine as is.
When I bought mine, I paid $850 (!) when stepping up from a $500 Feliks Echo, which is a nice budget tube amp in its own right.

But the difference was both significant and enjoyable- far more than the budget increase would indicate, in my view.

I’ve never looked back or further, other than tube/fuse/power cable upgrades… listening right now to my Eikons on it and I am perfectly content.

Other than my insomnia, that is. 🙄😆

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,723 of 1,750
When I bought mine, I paid $850 (!) when stepping up from a $500 Feliks Echo, which is a nice budget tube amp in its own right.

But the difference was both significant and enjoyable- far more than the budget increase would indicate, in my view.

I’ve never looked back or further, other than tube/fuse/power cable upgrades… listening right now to my Eikons on it and I am perfectly content.

Other than my insomnia, that is. 🙄😆
That’s a helluva deal. Nice.

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,724 of 1,750
Don’t forget to upgrade the T 3.15A fuse: be it SR Purple, Audio Magic AM-1, HiFi-Tuning Supreme …. WA2 sound will ⬆️ 🙂

EDIT: I cannot say why, but the greatest sonic improvements, for me, from mains fuse upgrade took place in h/p/a which have tube rectification. (Woo WA2, WA6, WA6-SE, WA22)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #1,725 of 1,750
Don’t forget to upgrade the T 3.15A fuse: be it SR Purple, Audio Magic AM-1, HiFi-Tuning Supreme …. WA2 sound will ⬆️ 🙂

EDIT: I cannot say why, but the greatest sonic improvements, for me, from mains fuse upgrade took place in h/p/a which have tube rectification. (Woo WA2, WA6, WA6-SE, WA22)
I can vouch for this.

Some preliminary research seems to indicate that premium fuses are usually filled with beeswax or some other material (silica sand, etc.) that has a dampening effect on the fuse element inside. This reduces vibration, which in turn, seems to increase the sound quality while reducing the noise floor dramatically. I know the science experts will poo-poo this, and I unfortunately don't have the scientific background to explain why, but I swear by fuse upgrades. My next step is going to be to bypass fuses altogether and use external surge protection/fuse protection to see if that improves the sound even further. Bear in mind, I do so at MY OWN RISK and understand that this potentially (electrical joke!) can cause serious damage and/or injury!

Anyway, on with my reading - I have 30+ pages to catch up on....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back