The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Jan 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #4,561 of 7,980
Quote:
Cable wise I'd recommend that you check out btg audio. I (and a few others on here) have the sunrise cable. It's exceptionally well put together and great value. He has also just released the starlight cable, expect the same quality but different material will colour the sound differently :wink: check out his website for more info and he is very good at responding to queries on email!

Thanks for this. I've always wanted to get a nice cable, but they're always so overpriced.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #4,562 of 7,980
Im a little skeptical on how much a cable can improve sound. I probably won't ever have the financial means to experiment with them, but Im kind of wondering how much of an impact it can have. The law of diminishing returns does apply. This is just curiousity.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #4,563 of 7,980
Quote:
Im a little skeptical on how much a cable can improve sound. I probably won't ever have the financial means to experiment with them, but Im kind of wondering how much of an impact it can have. The law of diminishing returns does apply. This is just curiousity.

There is science behind it though.  The first thing is that a different cable can alter resistance.  Just think about what applies to the resistance of the cable, length and cross-sectional area as well as material.  Silver tends to be more conductive than copper, so generally, it would lead to lower resistance.  This could be able to cause an audible difference in sound.  It's possible (I'm not sure if research has been done on this subject) that different materials may be more resistive towards different frequencies put through them.  For the second point, little to no research has been done in that area.  There is still a lot unknown, but it can alter sound.  If you apply the proper cable, you can increase resistance and have a similar effect of impedance loading.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #4,564 of 7,980
Quote:
I went with your suggestion, this combo is amazing
beyersmile.png

biggrin.gif

I think there are 3 or 4 of us with this setup now... I could easily see myself using this as my only kit for the rest of my audiophile life.

...famous last words.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #4,565 of 7,980
Quote:

I find audible changes from cables to be very subtle at best and use the Magnus cable (I actually have two) for its unrivaled flexibility. I tried the Toxic Cables silver poison and liked the sound of the pure silver but I ended up preferring the way the Magnus just "disappears". 

I've been bugging The Wizard to look into a pure silver Magnus... that could be quite the thing. My VISA card probably won't like it though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #4,567 of 7,980
the magnus 1 cable Sound, looks and feels great . I have a set of Silver Pioson cables on the way and I am interested to see how they compare. In general I can hear differences between cables especially between stock cables and the Magnus.

Ps I second the Silver Magnus option / suggestion 

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #4,568 of 7,980
Quote:

Yeah, that's why I'm reluctant to spend the money on those insanely overpriced cables from companies like Toxic. The only reason I would get a new cable is mostly for the build quality and lack of green oxidation. If it sounds better/different, that's a plus. But there's no way I'd spend more than 80 bucks on a cable. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4,569 of 7,980
Quote:
Thanks for this. I've always wanted to get a nice cable, but they're always so overpriced.

I reviewed the Sunrise awhile back: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632319/review-btg-audio-sunrise-ciem-cable

As far as a cable changing the sound is concerned, there's quite a bit of debate about this in the sound science threads; there seems to be a pretty strong argument for a placebo effect after spending a bit of time in there reading various double-blind studies members had linked. Having the expectation of a change can create the illusion in one's mind. It's trippy stuff, but probably better if it's debated in the appropriate threads. Needless to say, I really liked the BTG Sunrise. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #4,570 of 7,980

I reviewed the Sunrise awhile back: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632319/review-btg-audio-sunrise-ciem-cable

As far as a cable changing the sound is concerned, there's quite a bit of debate about this in the sound science threads; there seems to be a pretty strong argument for a placebo effect after spending a bit of time in there reading various double-blind studies members had linked. Having the expectation of a change can create the illusion in one's mind. It's trippy stuff, but probably better if it's debated in the appropriate threads. Needless to say, I really liked the BTG Sunrise. 

While there is a difference between silver and copper’s ability to transmit electrons (and gold, for that matter, but no one uses that) it’s not a dramatic one so from a purely physics standpoint there’s very little difference you could actually hear. I’d be surprised if it was near the level of human perception.

That’s the reason I like the Magnus-1 so much. Others can argue about whether or not it sounds better. I don’t think I heard a big difference, if any; though I didn’t do a lot of testing. However, I can say that the build quality is drastically better than the stock cable and it has drastically better ergonomics and microphonics. So in that sense it’s worth every penny.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #4,571 of 7,980
Quote:
That’s the reason I like the Magnus-1 so much. Others can argue about whether or not it sounds better. I don’t think I heard a big difference, if any; though I didn’t do a lot of testing. However, I can say that the build quality is drastically better than the stock cable and it has drastically better ergonomics and microphonics. So in that sense it’s worth every penny.

Spot on. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back