The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Oct 31, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #2,851 of 7,980
Quote:
Yesterday morning I woke up thinking "I'm sure I'll hear from Heir this week re: proofs."  Checked e-mail and sure enough, there's my message from Sunny with proof shots of my 4.A's.  Original photo was a little murky so I corrected with Photoshop (hey, I'm a picky photographer - what can I say).  Here they are.  Loved the Amboyna when I first saw them on the 4.Ai and 3.Ai and most of the sample pics that caught my eye tended to be that wood.  Added the inlay to differentiate from the universals - if anyone can comment on the wood type I'm all ears.  Shells are Dark Smoke (although difficult to tell from the photos but Sunny confirmed for me).

Eagerly awaiting their arrival along with Magnus upgrade.  Just have to quell my nerves in the interim re: the Customs/duty/import hit and whether or not the fit is right.  Tick tock.

Now those are bitchin'. 
cool.gif

​

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #2,854 of 7,980
Oct 31, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #2,856 of 7,980
Quote:
Yesterday morning I woke up thinking "I'm sure I'll hear from Heir this week re: proofs."  Checked e-mail and sure enough, there's my message from Sunny with proof shots of my 4.A's.  Original photo was a little murky so I corrected with Photoshop (hey, I'm a picky photographer - what can I say).  Here they are.  Loved the Amboyna when I first saw them on the 4.Ai and 3.Ai and most of the sample pics that caught my eye tended to be that wood.  Added the inlay to differentiate from the universals - if anyone can comment on the wood type I'm all ears.  Shells are Dark Smoke (although difficult to tell from the photos but Sunny confirmed for me).

Eagerly awaiting their arrival along with Magnus upgrade.  Just have to quell my nerves in the interim re: the Customs/duty/import hit and whether or not the fit is right.  Tick tock.

Those are absolutely gorgeous, congrats!

I can't help think that Heir should do something like this with their logo on the 3.Ai and 4.Ai universals.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #2,857 of 7,980
Quote:

Day 16? Haha. Happy waiting.

40 days before my 4A reached me
deadhorse.gif

I wasn't asking how long they took to arrive. I was asking about how long it took before you received an email saying they'd been completed. I expect to add another 7-10 days after that email before they actually get here. I expect, then, that you received your email somewhere between day 30 and day 35?

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #2,858 of 7,980
Quote:

I wasn't asking how long they took to arrive. I was asking about how long it took before you received an email saying they'd been completed. I expect to add another 7-10 days after that email before they actually get here. I expect, then, that you received your email somewhere between day 30 and day 35?

38 bro

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #2,859 of 7,980

I was asking about how long it took before you received an email saying they'd been completed.

For me I received confirmation that molds were received in Chengdu (via San Diego) on September 18th and confirmation that the completed 4.A's were shipped today.  That puts them about a week outside Heir's suggested 5-week build time.  Add another 3-weeks'ish for shipping first the molds (including routing through Heir's US office) and then the final product and you're looking at a pretty big time commitment. 
blink.gif
  That said, shipping times aside I have no idea if that's standard in this industry.

When I decided to order my Westone 4R's they were in my hands (and ears) the following morning. 
wink_face.gif
  Obviously an unfair comparison, but certainly underscores how different the world of CIEM's is compared to universals.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #2,862 of 7,980
Quote:

For me I received confirmation that molds were received in Chengdu (via San Diego) on September 18th and confirmation that the completed 4.A's were shipped today.  That puts them about a week outside Heir's suggested 5-week build time.  Add another 3-weeks'ish for shipping first the molds (including routing through Heir's US office) and then the final product and you're looking at a pretty big time commitment. 
blink.gif
  That said, shipping times aside I have no idea if that's standard in this industry.

When I decided to order my Westone 4R's they were in my hands (and ears) the following morning. 
wink_face.gif
  Obviously an unfair comparison, but certainly underscores how different the world of CIEM's is compared to universals.

I think if you're expecting a high quality build, you should be prepared to have longer wait times.  The industry standard (by other's standards) shouldn't apply here because HA, undoubtedly, is not doing an assembly line acrylic build of each CIEM.  I think it's worth the wait, especially for those of us ordering Wood and other inserts that are carefully designed and molded into each CIEM.  In the end, it's truly worth the wait, and it's a drop in the bucket when you consider how much time you'll be spending with your new 3.A/4.A/6.A/8.A...

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #2,863 of 7,980

You see something like this and it's apparent why Heir chose the 
Amboyna Burl for the universals....Amazing!

That's why I picked 'em. 
wink_face.gif
  Although color accuracy of the proof photo notwithstanding these appear a bit more brown, less red than the universals.  Will have to wait and see, and perhaps take new, color accurate pics when I get them.

The nice thing about this wood is that the grain is very "active", so with a relatively small piece there's lots going on and that's certainly the case with this sample (perhaps Heir hand picks the best cuts of Amboyna for the customs).  I was struggling between this and the Siamese Rosewood.  Regardless, there's a lot of visual bang for the buck with that inlay.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #2,864 of 7,980
Quote:

blink.gif

wink_face.gif

Yeah, I expected it would be a big time commitment. I may have been a little unrealistic to hope that I'd have these before the end of November. My impressions were received in Chengdu on the 15th of this month, so I imagine it's more likely that I'll receive the final product in the first or second week of December.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #2,865 of 7,980
This is why the "rush order" fee is an option. ADHD bastards like me can pay an extra $150 to get in front of the line. Steep, but worth it if you're as impatient as I am. Took 3 days from my impressions arrived at Heir to I got the proof email with pics of my finished customs. Considering the laser cut aluminum face plates and the fact that 8 drivers have to be fitted & tuned in each monitor, that's damn impressive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back