The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Oct 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #2,821 of 7,980
Quote:
With several people having fit issues, I just have to point out that it might be a case where nobody is really "at fault" specifically. With the dozen or more CIEMs I've got (probably more by now, I've lost count) I tend to get a great fit when I do my own impressions. I have it down to a science. But you know what? Sometimes it just doesn't work perfectly for whatever reason. Or one side will feel a little off at first, then get better the longer I use them. Or sometimes they will even get worse and then better from day to day! It's strange, but especially my left ear sometimes just doesn't cooperate.
So it could be the audiologists fault, or the impressions could have been somehow damaged or shrunk, or Heir could have made them a little smaller than they should have.... Or it could simply be none of those. It is hard to know, and really the most fruitful thing is to just try again until it is solved.

I don't know how Heir tailor the impressions but from my experience and knowledge the part from 1st bend and above should be left as is, or build it up a bit, but no shaving down. It's unlikely that Heir is 'at fault' here.

And you are right about the fit inconsistency. It might be due to your health condition at the time the impressions are taken, or even nutrition intake, as someone mentioned earlier, or how large you open your mouth or even not opening at all, the type of material used, the audiologist etc.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #2,822 of 7,980
Do you have a guess as to what percentage of CIEM's have fit issues?  As I am sitting here reading this thread and waiting my recently completed set, I am having anxieties about finally getting them and them not fitting properly.  It is hard for me to tell if fit issues are really common or if people that have them are just much more likely to post about them!

I'm sure Wizard (Doctor of Audiology) would have better figures than I do. For me personally, I think I've only had major issues with 1 out of a dozen-plus customs. And then maybe 1 or 2 more with really minor or occasional issues. That's not too bad overall.

But again, there are so many variables, it's hard to say.

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #2,823 of 7,980
Quote:

Not in the immediate future. Compatibility issues are the primary reason for this. Other companies do offer them, but they have to disclose which functions work with which type or class of products. We would do it if we could guarantee that our product would work with all/most products. Not to mention, these cables tend not to be very durable.
 ​

Forget about mic cables, do an all-silver Magnus cable!!

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #2,826 of 7,980
Quote:
For those of you who are interested, PC Magazine has released their review of the 4.Ai. Link here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411360,00.asp

"the distortion in this case occurred when playing The Knife's "Silent Shout," which has tremendous low-frequency content, on an iPhone 4S."

I have NEVER, even at stupid volume levels, heard any hint of bass distortion with the 4.Ai using my DX100. What a shame they didn't use a proper source.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #2,827 of 7,980
The 4S is fine as a source. I just don't understand how people could possibly listen at full volume from one; it hurts just to have it close to my ears, let alone have it sealed in my canal. Doing so would result in an instant activation of the stapedius reflex. To comment on that is just silly impractical. I think they mentioned the same thing in their UE900 review as well, to which I also responded with a "What?!?"

On my iPod Touch, I try to listen at 6-24%, and in very, very noisy areas (subway trains, massive arterial street sidewalks) I sometimes bump it up to 36-42%, and rarely for more than 4 minutes (or rather, the average duration of a song) at a time.

I also found the note about the ER4P having 'more sheen on the high end'... odd. If they were referring to the ER4B or ER4S (which are both subjectively and objectively more accurate than the ER4P), I might be more accepting, but the ER4P has a distinctive lull in the treble before a last gasp spike. Even so, I find myself noting that the 4.A/Ai has more upper treble presence than the ER4 (of any variant, except the ER4B, which is a bit too bright for modern music but amazing for binaural). Even though the 4.A/Ai is tuned to slope in a manner similar to the ER4, it's a feature of the driver choice in the 4.A/Ai versus the ER4's to have better top-end extension, so regardless of the tuning, the highest of the highs in the 4.A/Ai will be more present. With that being said, the 4.A/Ai is more blunted in the upper midrange (~3-5 kHz) for the same reason, and that might be what PCMag was referring to. But what is this nonsense about the ER4P having more low-end presence? LOL.

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #2,829 of 7,980
Quote:
Demonstration Available in UK at:

Home Media
Union Street
Maidstone
Kent

The Heir 3.Ai & 4.Ai are now available for demonstration at the above Hi-Fi Dealer

Equipment available to demo the Heir IEM's include:-

Headphone Amps: Musical Fidelity, Rega, Grado

Dacs: Leema, Musical Fidelity, Rega

There's various sources available but it may be best to take your own (Walkman, iPod etc).

I should be able to give you another venue in London but will await Home-Media's confirmation of this.

Home Media have confirmed that the 3.Ai & 4.Ai will be at Custom-Cables Showroom next week - Dates to be confirmed later.

Custom Cable
35 High Street
New Malden
Greater London

KT3 4BY

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #2,830 of 7,980
Still waiting

Order date: 8/26/2012
Impression arrival at Chengdu: 9/18/2012
Order changed from 4a to 8a: 9/30/2012

PETER

Users who are viewing this thread