The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Sep 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #2,476 of 7,980
Quote:
I would like to say that i saw the Terra Player mentioned and i will be getting one on loan shortly :wink:

Really? How did you swing that? I am very intrigued by the hype. (Can you send it to me next?
biggrin.gif
)

I look forward to your impression of the Tera Player!

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2,477 of 7,980
Actually it was a generous offer from a new found thread at the head fi meet so once i get it sent out i will have a chat with him about it and other people trying it. Its not for me to tell people i can just send around and its someones possession and not one from Altmann for example. Anyway i will probably write a review and see how it goes with my 4.Ai :wink:

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #2,478 of 7,980
Curious as to how the dx and the Tera compare sq wise, usability i would think would goto the dx hands down. I never really cared for smaller devices (almost impossible to use with my hamds) with little or no screens. Also it only plays wavs so I would think the dx holds a huge advantage there as well. The price seems very steep (even more than the dx). Does anyone here have both and can compare?

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #2,480 of 7,980
Quote:
I very much enjoy having the 4.Ai as a backup to my 8.A but I don't think I'd get the 4.A (custom) to supplement my 8.A. I like having a universal IEM as a smaller alternative as well as for sharing my music with others. The difference in presentation, the 4.Ai being more forward than the 8.A, means that I can also enjoy them when I just want something a little different. They have a smaller, more intimate soundstage with amazingly accurate placement of instruments where the 8.A has a larger, more "3D" soundstage. My suggestion would be to get the 8.A and see (well, hear) if you find yourself sometimes missing a more forward, intimate presentation. If so, add the 4.A(i) to your stash 
smile.gif

I hope the above made sense... It's been a long and busy week, I just put the kids to bed and have a lot of work to do to prepare for a busy weekend so I'm afraid my English is a bit below its usual level. 

Haha, the one thing I REALLY wanna do is to grab a 4.Ai, share the poison around and encourage folk down the destructive path of customs. Or at least, away from those damned apple earbuds. Anyway that's a great, was really looking for a concise comparison on the differences in presentation and you provided just that! The only thing is, your suggestion would work out perfectly if.... the price ain't gonna increase for the next decade. But the end of promotional pricing has really got me in a dilemma of whether to jump the gun or not. And the wood really drives me nuts.
Quote:

End-game, TOTL? No. But it is a truly great value.

I think the 4.A may sometimes lack a little bit of subtlety up top. It's by no means offensive, but it can stand to be more refined. My comparison with the TO GO! 334 may give you some more insight into what I mean (index of comparisons). I'd also like the vocals to be taller and more rounded with the 4.A. Interestingly, though, the 4.A does come surprisingly close to the performance of the TO GO! 334. It also made me waver on buying the F111; the 4.A was just more enjoyable to my ears, if less precise.

As you might be able to surmise, I don't like gobs of bass. To me, the 4.A gives me a nearly perfect bass presentation, with its one flaw being that it begins to roll off around 30 Hz (though it's still quite present at 24 Hz or so). I haven't heard the 8.A, but from how people describe it, it's bass galore. Perhaps everything else is still able to shine through, and I imagine that the 8.A is something like that of the LCD-2/3 in terms of giving off a very solid low end while preserving the mids and highs, but I prefer the simplicity of a flatter response. When I was considering the different options, the 8.A wasn't even on the table. I briefly considered the 6.A and the NT-6.

Ah, I think I get where you're coming from now. While I haven't heard the 334, that somehow just made things much clearer. Perhaps you'd like to add it as a roundup to the 4.Ai vs 334 comparison? Thanks a ton mate :) And from what I've heard, the 6.A is supposedly pretty bass-heavy (i.e. the 4,A with more bass?) so it mightn't have been to your liking.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2,481 of 7,980
Was stoked to get this email and start my count down a week and a half ago:

[size=10.5pt]                                                                     [/size]
[size=10.5pt]
"Thank you very much for placing the order with Heiraudio and we are pleased to inform you that your earmold impressions just arrived at our lab today. We have already started the processing and will begin to build your CIEMs accordingly. [/size]
[size=10.5pt]
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at heiraudio@micro-dsp.com."[/size]
[size=10.5pt]
 [/size]
Was not stoked to get this email today

"We are regret to inform you that your impressions are found disqualified after our engineer's examination.
They are not complete earmold impression just with ear canals.
Please remold them and send to us to make sure your earphone can be built according to your ears."

Guess it is back to the audiologist for me.  I am thinking I should probably visit a different audiologist but the reason I chose this particular place is because they "specialize" in CIEM's and work with Westone.
If anyone knows of a good Audiolgost in Portland, OR  please PM me.  Crap!
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2,482 of 7,980
Quote:

[size=10.5pt]                                                                     [/size]
[size=10.5pt]
"Thank you very much for placing the order with Heiraudio and we are pleased to inform you that your earmold impressions just arrived at our lab today. We have already started the processing and will begin to build your CIEMs accordingly. [/size]
[size=10.5pt]
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at heiraudio@micro-dsp.com."[/size]
[size=10.5pt]
 [/size]

"We are regret to inform you that your impressions are found disqualified after our engineer's examination.
Please remold them and send to us to make sure your earphone can be built according to your ears."

Guess it is back to the audiologist for me.  I am thinking I should probably visit a different audiologist but the reason I chose this particular place is because they "specialize" in CIEM's and work with Westone.
frown.gif

Ouch. That's too bad. I hope your next set of impressions turn out well and that you'll be able to get your hands on a pair of these before too long.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2,483 of 7,980
Quote:

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10.5pt]
[size=10.5pt]
 [/size]

frown.gif

A couple recommended by Ultimate Ears 

1. Sonus
    Robert Augur, Karen Fowler
    11942 NE Glisan
    Portland, OR 97220
    United States
    503-252-3238
  2. Newport Audiology
    Angela Carlson
    10011 SE Division St
    Portland, OR 97266
    United States
    800-675-5485

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #2,484 of 7,980
I emailed pictures of my new impressions to HA and they approved it!

Shipped them off today express; should get there by Thursday.

Very excited to get the 4.A.

Now the waiting game.

I hope I don't have any fit issues.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2,485 of 7,980
Is there anyway those of us in europe/uk can order from the us site or will we have to go through the main one?  Was just wondering if it would be quicker ordering from the states ?

Cheers

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #2,488 of 7,980
Quote:
Is there anyway those of us in europe/uk can order from the us site or will we have to go through the main one?  Was just wondering if it would be quicker ordering from the states ?

Cheers

The few times I ordered equipments from the US it took weeks. My pair of 4A.i reached the UK two days after I ordered and should be delivered tomorrow.
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #2,489 of 7,980
Quote:
frown.gif

Go somewhere different. I'd even ask for a refund since they didn't do it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back