The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Sep 13, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #2,131 of 7,980
Quote:
Oh, i was in contact with Nancy earlier in the week, turns out my stored impressions were misplaced. They offered me a counter deal which was great and all, but its either I spend money on new molds or send em the existing 4A (which i am not exactly in favor, because it only belong to mah ears! 
angry_face.gif
) for them to use as a cast. 

Then again i was intrigued by Project86's review and comparison of the 6.a and 4.a... and things just piled up from there 
ksc75smile.gif
, so i'm still sitting on the fence between the 6.A and 8.A... 

i think i'm in a mess right now hahaha

I would go with the 8a's.  I believe the 6's are described as neutral with more lower end than the 4's, someone please correct me if I am wrong.   The 8's are a completely different animal besides if you didn't get the 8's it would eat at you.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #2,132 of 7,980
You get only one cable, without ordering an extra one. The Magnus-1 cable for the $110 is sold as an upgrade over the stock cable. It's price as an extra cable alone is $149...

I am probably grossly misinterpreting this but does that imply that the stock cable costs $30? If so, that's a damn good price for what I hear is a good cable.
Also if I ordered an iem from heir and wanted another cable as a backup/for piece of mind, does that mean I should pay the $149 for an extra Magnus cable in addition to the stock cable as opposed to 119 for just an upgrade?

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #2,133 of 7,980
Quote:
I am probably grossly misinterpreting this but does that imply that the stock cable costs $30? If so, that's a damn good price for what I hear is a good cable.
Also if I ordered an iem from heir and wanted another cable as a backup/for piece of mind, does that mean I should pay the $149 for an extra Magnus cable in addition to the stock cable as opposed to 119 for just an upgrade?

All those considerations seem pretty much correct to me... 
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #2,134 of 7,980
Quote:
Just wondering if the magnus cable is worth the $110? Also do they replace the stock cable or would you get both? Thanks.

The standard cable (standard for Heir Audio, Westone, etc.) is very microphonic; it is, by far, the worst part of my 4.A.

I tried the Magnus 1, and it is much better. Luckily, I'll get one soon!

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2,137 of 7,980
Surprised you say the stock cables are so microphonic, especially since they are worn over-ear.  I haven't tried the Heir stock cable, but the Westone and Earsonics stock cable were minimally microphonic in my experience. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #2,139 of 7,980
If anyone is interested, I wrote on the microphonic (due to bone conduction, rather than cable microphonics) issue of the stock cable and how the Magnus helps HERE.

Excerpt:
The biggest issue that I’ve always had with the stock cable used by the likes of Heir Audio, Unique Melody, 1964Ears, JH Audio, etc. is that the ear guides are way too long. They often extend way past the length of the memory wire (not always true, as some batches have shorter ones) and are very microphonic. I like cinching the cable behind my head performer-style when I’m out and about, but when I do this with the stock cable, the long ear guides and cable scrape against the mastoid process of my skull. For those not familiar with human anatomy, the mastoid process of the temporal bone of the skull is a major area of bone conduction. When performing bone conduction hearing tests (Rinne), an ENT physician or audiologist will often place a tuning fork at the base of the mastoid process. You can imagine the same type of effect happening when a cable scrapes against the head while walking, except instead of a 512 Hz tone, you hear highly amplified rustling of the cable ear guide.

The Magnus-1 cable mitigates this problem by shortening the ear guides. The profile of the memory wire is also lifted out and above the ear, such that a much less microphonic and stable soft twisted cable rests securely against the head when the neck cinch is tightened, instead of a vibratory plastic body. Obviously, bone conduction microphonics aren’t completely solved, and will never be solved on the simple account of physics, but the Magnus-1 cable definitely helps minimize the issue, and I suspect Heir Audio’s expertise in audiology helped immensely in making these ergonomic refinements to the cable.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #2,140 of 7,980
Quote:
  Surprised you say the stock cables are so microphonic, especially since they are worn over-ear.  I haven't tried the Heir stock cable, but the Westone and Earsonics stock cable were minimally microphonic in my experience. 

It depends on your wear style, but I've found that Westone and JH have been shortening the ear guides in recent batches. I haven't seen the Earsonics cables recently, but as recent as May of this year, they were still using cables that had ear guides of the same length as Heir's stock cable does.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #2,141 of 7,980
Quote:

I agree with this, /\/\

this is my experience with the magnus cable, when I read about it, it think it's not worth it, but when I use it, and go back and forth using the a stock cable (westone style) I think it's worth it.  the build quality is great, and it just has that nice feel to it.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #2,142 of 7,980
IMHO, the stock cable is really not a bad cable, but the Magnus is better. I'm not sure I would add 30% to the price of a universal IEM to get a better cable but I'm happy I got the Magnus for my 8.As 
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2,143 of 7,980
Quote:
I would go with the 8a's.  I believe the 6's are described as neutral with more lower end than the 4's, someone please correct me if I am wrong.   The 8's are a completely different animal besides if you didn't get the 8's it would eat at you.

Thanks to you guys I'm sold on the 8's. Will only be placing a deposit on it first though, pending final confirmation of details 
redface.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2,144 of 7,980
Quote:
Thanks to you guys I'm sold on the 8's. Will only be placing a deposit on it first though, pending final confirmation of details 
redface.gif

Let me tell you this: The 8.A has made me stop looking at the "Headphones for sale" forum. 

Head-fi'ers will know that's a pretty big deal 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back