The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
May 11, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #871 of 7,980
Well, my 4.A got here today and they're up for sale, just because I have buyer's remorse - I decided I wanted the 8.A after I paid for the 4.A already, and Heir doesn't do refunds, so here they are. http://www.head-fi.org/t/609664/brand-new-heir-4-a-ready-for-reshelling

$299 for them. Anyone interested? I think it's a very good deal. My loss is your gain. 

May 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #874 of 7,980
Quote:
Wow... that didn't last long... lol.

I didn't expect them to sell any slower. Heir is awesome. It's to be expected that they would be gone in a few hours.

In fact I received 4 PMs in 2 hours.

May 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #875 of 7,980
Quote:

I didn't expect them to sell any slower. Heir is awesome. It's to be expected that they would be gone in a few hours.

In fact I received 4 PMs in 2 hours.

Very True!  I have to get my pair fit adjusted, and since I have to do that... I think I'm getting my TF10 re-shelled at the same time (from the same place)...

May 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #877 of 7,980
I'm the lucky winner of ImperialX's 4.A.  I'm getting my impressions done as soon as possible in LA and this will be my first CIEM to go along with my Senn HD580, Denon NC800 and D7000 and Shure SCL4  :)

I'm looking forward to giving my impressions, compared to my cans.

May 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #878 of 7,980
Quote:
I thought you had sold the TF10's dude?

I did... I let the purchaser (co-worker) pay me when they got the money... but they were taking too long... so they're getting my Klipsch, and my TF10s are going to accompany my CIEMS to be re-shelled... should be interesting.

May 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #881 of 7,980
I do have to say I am having the same issue as many others, well that is Heir Audio is having with my impressions. I do feel they are quite critical of the ear molds that are sent to them. I even let the audiologist know what they were for and gave her the U.E. instruction sheet. This wouldn't be a problem if shipping the package didn't cost 50 or more since they recommend a box.

I also have to since I am quite concerned how Staal which raved about the CIEM's, that he sells them so quickly. I could just be overreacting but this does make me nervous.

I am sure they make a great product and one thing for sure they make a great looking wood-plates and decorating, but claims that Kunlun said earlier boasting they are better sounding then the JH16. These claims I am quite skeptical about especially from someone who even says that he got a discount on the 8a. After reading the reviews of the 8a compared to the JH16, it sounds like they're two different ciems. The JH16 excells at soundstage and bass and the 8a possibly deeper bass with less soundstage.

Like many other headphones which I own, none are just completely better than the other unless the are trying to achieve the same sound and one is just well, better!

I am not trying to call anyone out. I am perhaps just questioning what I have heard.

Maybe someone can put my quandrys to rest.

Also excuse my grammar and spelling, spell check was never kind to me as a child =(

May 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #882 of 7,980
Quote:
I do have to say I am having the same issue as many others, well that is Heir Audio is having with my impressions. I do feel they are quite critical of the ear molds that are sent to them. I even let the audiologist know what they were for and gave her the U.E. instruction sheet. This wouldn't be a problem if shipping the package didn't cost 50 or more since they recommend a box.

I also have to since I am quite concerned how Staal which raved about the CIEM's, that he sells them so quickly. I could just be overreacting but this does make me nervous.

I am sure they make a great product and one thing for sure they make a great looking wood-plates and decorating, but claims that Kunlun said earlier boasting they are better sounding then the JH16. These claims I am quite skeptical about especially from someone who even says that he got a discount on the 8a. After reading the reviews of the 8a compared to the JH16, it sounds like they're two different ciems. The JH16 excells at soundstage and bass and the 8a possibly deeper bass with less soundstage.

Like many other headphones which I own, none are just completely better than the other unless the are trying to achieve the same sound and one is just well, better!

I am not trying to call anyone out. I am perhaps just questioning what I have heard.

Maybe someone can put my quandrys to rest.

Also excuse my grammar and spelling, spell check was never kind to me as a child =(

Hi Mopo,

I think it's good to have a little critical apprehension because it is a big purchase.

With the ear molds, it is actually a great thing that Heir Audio is critical of those. You want the best sound possible, right? And the best comfort, right? And the best isolation, right? All these are dependent on having the right fit.

The fit is only as good as the earmolds, those earmolds are the only thing a custom company (any custom company you could name) has to go by. The shipping issue is a good point, one that may lead you to a company that is based close to you.

As for Staal selling his, I think you're welcome to ask him, but keep in mind it's actually a strength of Heir Audio that you can transfer warranty over to the new buyer--something that makes selling them much easier.

As for me, well, the JH16 is three years old, pretty old for a custom... the 8.A is new, so I don't think it's unreasonable to say that once the hype is cut through that the 8.A does a number of things better. I would say that the 8.A is masterfully tuned in a way that you won't find elsewhere, things are coherent in a way you usually don't find with multi-armature iems. It's super smooth and it has the sound signature I've described in my review. However, for the largest soundstage, you'll want a vented shell custom (one with a dynamic driver).

It really all depends what you're looking for, Mopo. No one can tell you that for you. Only you can say, "I'd like this sound..." Once you know that, then you can find something that is best for you--that's the whole point. Best wishes to you on that!

May 13, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #883 of 7,980
Well said Kunlun. It's hard in a way because people tend to rave about the fit of their customs, but not as many people are willing to document their experience if it was difficult and involved refits. Or they talk about it once, but everything from that point on is focused on the comfort they now have.

Good impressions simply cannot be overstated in terms of importance. It is critical. Dr. Moulton is an experienced Audiologist so he certainly knows what he is talking about. I know there are tons of people who practice audiology, and just like any profession, some are better than others. Also, some focus primarily on hearing aids while only a small percentage have experience with custom IEMs. They are two very different things, even if the audiologist thinks they aren't.  

Ultimately they are there to give you good service. Anyone who balks at the fact that their impressions were rejected, rather than offering to redo them for you, is giving poor service. I can't imagine Heir Audio turning down impressions for fun  -  it isn't ideal for them either. 

May 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #884 of 7,980
Quote:
How did they sound after re-shelling?

They sound about the same. I didn't find any noticeable differences in sound to be present as such, but they do sound a little bit better overall which is probably due to the great fit and seal.

Quote:

Like Kunlun said, you should in fact be happy that they are critical of the ear molds that they receive. I had to send my 8.A's back for a refit and that's a 6 week process that could've been avoided if my molds had been proper to begin with.

The fact that I am putting mine up for sale has nothing to do with the 8.A being a bad CIEM in any way. I need some cash and I have several CIEMs lying around. The 8.A was obviously gonna be the easiest one to sell without taking a huge loss due to the great ownership transfer service offered by Heir. Also, I found the 8.A to be a tad too warm and musical with most of my prefered musical genres. This doesn't mean that it isn't still a stellar product, it just wasn't for a guy like me who prefers a very bright signature. If I could justify keeping all of my IEMs around despite the limited time that I have to listen to music these days, I certainly would have kept my 8.A

As for your thoughts on the JH16 vs 8.A, I certainly do not agree that the JH16 wins when it comes to soundstage. I have both and while I love my JH16, it certainly isn't very great with neither positioning nor 3-dimensionality. Comparing the 8.A and the JH16 is quite tricky, as they are indeed very different and I find the main difference is that the JH16 is agressive and bright while the 8.A is very smooth, warm and musical.

May 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #885 of 7,980
Would it be better to send a perfectly fitting acrylic ceim as a mold, rather than a new mold from the same audiologist? would this guarantee that the product I get would fit exactly the same as the ceim that I sent? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back