The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Jan 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #61 of 7,980
Quote:
Also, for the rest of you who have HA 4.A's, I do believe I shall soon be joining your ranks! On a side note, what are those of you who have them already using for an AMP setup? I'm interested in something highly portable that I can easily take to and from work. If it's USB powered all the better.

I'm using the DACPort, which I enjoy for its clarity and really "black" background. When I take this test with the DACPort and the 4.A, I easily get 10/10.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #64 of 7,980
Been looking into the DACPort and it seems rather perfect for my needs. There are (obviously) cheaper options but it looks like the DACPort does everything very, very well.

One question I have, unrelated to that, is how did you guys go about sending your impressions to Heir Audio?

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #66 of 7,980

Quote:
@Blackmamba: I can't speak for Poimandres, but I'm in the exact same boat as you and I think I've decided on the 4.A's. Basically, it came down to build quality and sound signature.

The Heir Audio reviews I've read, no matter who from and what model, all speak of a nearly peerless build quality. They use words like perfection, mastery, and material clarity. When compared to the big guys in the industry like JH Audio and Ultimate Ears, Heir Audio is described as being as good as if not better in terms of build quality.

In terms of SQ, the 4.A is supposed to have a more measured, intent sound where the 1964-Q is supposed to have a bit more umph at the low-end. I e-mailed the Wizard yesterday and found a response in my inbox this morning. I stated my tastes were highly eclectic but lived more on the rock/electronic/jazz side of the spectrum with the occasional foray into symphonies and hip hop. My desire was that if I heard big bass in the track it's because it was put there by the artist but that if it wasn't there then it wasn't added. Based on that, he said the 4.A was the correct CIEM out of their lineup for me and I think I'm willing to defer to his judgement.

He aslo informed me that they can be driven reasonably well from something as simple as an iPhone but that they do begin to really shine when you start adding an AMP to the line. Considering these will take over, at the least, as my commute/work headphone, that all sounds wonderful to me.

So if you sound like me then I'd say go for the 4.A. If, however, you tend to listen to music that has a lot more bass and really want to push that bass, I'd say go for the 3.A or the 1964-Q. It sounds like they have a more similar sound signature, from what I've been reading.

Also, for the rest of you who have HA 4.A's, I do believe I shall soon be joining your ranks! On a side note, what are those of you who have them already using for an AMP setup? I'm interested in something highly portable that I can easily take to and from work. If it's USB powered all the better.

Thanks for your input Doug i really appretiate it. You've finally convinced me to order the 4.A's over the 1964-Q and i have submit my order. I am going to mail my ear impressions today and am eagerly awaiting to try out my first CIEM.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #67 of 7,980

Quote:
Been looking into the DACPort and it seems rather perfect for my needs. There are (obviously) cheaper options but it looks like the DACPort does everything very, very well.

One question I have, unrelated to that, is how did you guys go about sending your impressions to Heir Audio?

From the Heir Audio FAQ:

20. How do I ship my ear mold impressions?
Pleas ship together, your Ear Mold Impressions and your printed confirmation page to:
Company Name: Micro-DSP/Heir Audio Division
Shipping Address: Floor 10, Tower C, Chengdu International Commerce Building 136 Bin Jiang Dong Road Chengdu, Sichuan Province, China
Postcode: 610021
Tel: +8628-8667-8148 Ext. 6608
Contact Name: "Nancy"
Item Description: "Sample Ear Mold Impressions"
Value: "No commercial value" & "Value less than 5 USD"
It is best to protect your ear mold impressions with a sturdy box.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #68 of 7,980
I more meant did you guys use FedEx, UPS, USPS... etc. :p

I just filled out my order earlier today and printed it out. I have an appointment on Saturday to get my impressions made then I'll ship them out right away.

With any luck I'll have my headphones before February is over! My first set of CIEMs! I can't wait!

Does this mean I'm officially an audiophile?

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #69 of 7,980

Quote:
I more meant did you guys use FedEx, UPS, USPS... etc. :p

I just filled out my order earlier today and printed it out. I have an appointment on Saturday to get my impressions made then I'll ship them out right away.

With any luck I'll have my headphones before February is over! My first set of CIEMs! I can't wait!

Does this mean I'm officially an audiophile?

Have you eaten nothing but ramen for a week to help fund an audio related purchase?

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #71 of 7,980
It is not a big deal but are all CIEMs warranties like this? Makes me wonder what it can actually cover. I guess it can cover broken shell or something but then again that could be "Damage or breakage due to ordinary wear and tear". I thought the whole point of warranty was for driver failure.

Quote:
If your product is within warranty it shall be repaired or replaced at our own discretion. Damage or breakage due to ordinary wear and tear, misuse, abuse, negligence, accident, excessive volume, shock, misapplication, unauthorized repair, acts of God, or modification of, or to any part of the Custom IEM is not covered by the warranty. Any modifications done to the Custom IEM will void the warranty. Only materials and labor are covered by the warranty, drivers are excluded.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #73 of 7,980
Quote:
I just got a new job that allowed me to not do that. However, I've been eating ramen for the last year so I've earned it.

Actually, no. Your eating ramen for a year means you earned the right to buy a CIEM. But your having a new job has made you lose the right to enjoy it. The only solution to this apparent dilemma is that you should buy a CIEM but send it to me.

(I'll generously provide you with my ear impressions.)

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #75 of 7,980
@Sinocelt: Haha, nice try, but no.

The warranty thing has me rather worried now. As it would, given I just dropped $505 on something I can't really return if I don't like it. I mean, I can understand a warranty that's, "If you mistreat it, it's your fault and not ours" but saying there are parts of it that under no circumstances will you cover should they break? That worries me. A lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back