The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Jan 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #46 of 7,980
Quote:
Do you think 3.A are for me? Are they better than 1964-T? I heard 1964-T has flat response, are 3.A more "musical" sounding? I like flat sound signature, i am not basshead, but i really dont know. 

I don't own the 1964-T, so I cannot comment in that regard, but for the current $50 price difference between the 3.A and the 4.A, I'd advise the latter. The 4.A isn't just more neutral, it's also more coherent (its big strength, IMO) and has a wider headstage. So I find it more neutral and more fun.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #48 of 7,980
Read reviews of both and try to figure which one would be most suitable for your taste in music and sound signature.

Really, there is no definite answer, as it would be a matter of preference.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #49 of 7,980
Jan 17, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #50 of 7,980
I just received email confirmation that my 4a shipped out today a few hours ago.  With all of the orders that are in I wasn't expecting such a short turn around, they did not even receive my impressions until last Monday (1/9) evening eastern time and the finished product was shipped out 1/17 in the morning eastern time.  Kudos to the Wizard and his team, I cannot wait to hear and see the results.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #51 of 7,980
Seems the queue doesn't make much sense then. They received my impressions on December 31st and I paid way before that.

But I believe the Wizard is working on the at the moment though.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #52 of 7,980

Quote:
I just received email confirmation that my 4a shipped out today a few hours ago.  With all of the orders that are in I wasn't expecting such a short turn around, they did not even receive my impressions until last Monday (1/9) evening eastern time and the finished product was shipped out 1/17 in the morning eastern time.  Kudos to the Wizard and his team, I cannot wait to hear and see the results.

That is some fast turnaround time! But I believe you were probably first or second in line to have yours built because you paid so long ago (judging by when you started the thread). Do share some pictures when you receive them 
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #54 of 7,980
I will definitely be updating with impressions and photos once I receive them.  And yes due to the fact that I placed the order such a long time ago likely helped with them getting turned around very quickly.  Looking forward to receiving them, hopefully they will be in by the end of the week.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #55 of 7,980
Ok I received my Heir Audio 4a's today and for now I will say that they sound excellent and they look equally as stunning.  Here are some quick photos that I tool of them, I will try to take some better pictures tomorrow.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #57 of 7,980
Glad you finally got them! Also looking forward to your impressions.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #59 of 7,980
Hi Poimandres I am looking for my first set of CIEM's and narrowed my choices down to the 1964-Q or the Heir Audio 4.A. Do you know what is the difference between the two and why did you pick the 4.A over the 1964-Q?

Quote:
This morning I was surfing over at 1964 Ears as well as Unique Melody as I had previously given thought to purchasing the 1964-Q and even kicked around the idea of picking up the Merlin before deciding on the 4a.  What I found astonished me, does anyone know when 1964 or UM started offering woodies?  I may not have noticed them before however the first time that I had seen them in a custom IEM was when Project86 displayed them in his post about his Heir Audio re-shell's.  Were there any other companies offering woodies in CIEM's prior to Heir Audio?  Well you know the old saying imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #60 of 7,980
@Blackmamba: I can't speak for Poimandres, but I'm in the exact same boat as you and I think I've decided on the 4.A's. Basically, it came down to build quality and sound signature.

The Heir Audio reviews I've read, no matter who from and what model, all speak of a nearly peerless build quality. They use words like perfection, mastery, and material clarity. When compared to the big guys in the industry like JH Audio and Ultimate Ears, Heir Audio is described as being as good as if not better in terms of build quality.

In terms of SQ, the 4.A is supposed to have a more measured, intent sound where the 1964-Q is supposed to have a bit more umph at the low-end. I e-mailed the Wizard yesterday and found a response in my inbox this morning. I stated my tastes were highly eclectic but lived more on the rock/electronic/jazz side of the spectrum with the occasional foray into symphonies and hip hop. My desire was that if I heard big bass in the track it's because it was put there by the artist but that if it wasn't there then it wasn't added. Based on that, he said the 4.A was the correct CIEM out of their lineup for me and I think I'm willing to defer to his judgement.

He aslo informed me that they can be driven reasonably well from something as simple as an iPhone but that they do begin to really shine when you start adding an AMP to the line. Considering these will take over, at the least, as my commute/work headphone, that all sounds wonderful to me.

So if you sound like me then I'd say go for the 4.A. If, however, you tend to listen to music that has a lot more bass and really want to push that bass, I'd say go for the 3.A or the 1964-Q. It sounds like they have a more similar sound signature, from what I've been reading.

Also, for the rest of you who have HA 4.A's, I do believe I shall soon be joining your ranks! On a side note, what are those of you who have them already using for an AMP setup? I'm interested in something highly portable that I can easily take to and from work. If it's USB powered all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back