The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Jun 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #7,936 of 7,980
Jun 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #7,938 of 7,980
This is what I find bothersome, it seems like some feel like it's a conspiracy or something but this isn't exclusive to the Heir threads, go read the Aurisonic lovefest threads, it's pretty much the same thing. I wouldn't think of posting my impressions from the brief encounter I had with the ASG-1.2's in any of those threads, I'd be massacred.

And likely massacred by some carrying on in this thread :wink:

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #7,939 of 7,980
     Actually my mother had a large part in it the logo. She tried to hand mock it together, as a former artist she did every thing from oils, charcols, to even pottery...    The thing is, her ability to do art slowly dwindled as her essential tremor it became worse over time. Eventually, she could no longer sign her name.  Her DBS surgery was done two days ago, from my dad's reports, she is recovering well. 

I was rather proud of that logo as a bit of her was in that logo.

To further the explanation of the logo....   (Truth is I should write a book about this experience)  When Heir Audio began, it was began with little money, and on the scale of things, some would say it was began with no money.  Just a closet for a lab, old dusty tools that I dare say were nicked from a "lost and found" bin and we didn't even have a microscope in the lab at the time. 

In fact about the first 20 CIEMs were built in a bathroom, as the bathroom would contain the dust, and a small space heater was adequate to keep the room warm.

But in relation to the logo, we did not have a laser machine, as at the time the cost was too high for one. But we felt we could afford a vinyl cutter. (Essentially vinyl cutters make "stickers.")   Thus we were subject to the restrictions as to what a vinyl cutter could do, which isn't much. Also keep in mind, the logo will be placed on a surface area not much bigger than the size of a jelly bean, it is difficult for a vinyl cutter to make small intricate cuts, a laser can do a better job, but even it has limitations.

So, the logo was born, from the hands of a disabled mother, from the restrictions of a small bank account, and from a Head Fier that dared to follow his dreams.

Wizard

I had a feeling this would happen when I posted that. I say this because a part of my comment was implying that the logo was important on a personal level and that things aren't always as simple as they appear. I could probably have worded it better.

Good art and good design unfortunately don't always overlap and personal investment or involvement doesn't always provide the best result for every aspect of a business. There is nothing inherently wrong with the logo. While it does reflect the personal nature of your work, I just believe that there is a lot of room for refinement and better visual communication in relation to an overall brand representation and aesthetic balance.

It's absolutely difficult when starting a business from "nothing" to find this sort of thing worth shifting important parts of an already restricted budged and as you said, there are always restrictions. Also, rebranding, especially in a manner worthy of the cost and effort, is also a very difficult and time consuming endeavor that is not without it's risks. It's a hard thing to do well and I know it will be very hard to separate my comment from the personal aspect due to the nature of its origin, but thank you for not taking it as a personal attack.

I'd like to seriously thank you, very much, for writing that and actually posting it. I believe it will be insightful and useful to some
If not many and a book or extended piece on the experience would actually be something I would enjoy reading. I know it was probably not easy and even though I don't know you and haven't spoken to you until now, I wish your mother the best in her recovery.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #7,940 of 7,980
Quote:
Thanks for sharing that story, Wizard.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1

Quote:
I wish your mother the best in her recovery.

Same here, best of luck with your mom, and best wishes for your current situation as well.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #7,941 of 7,980
Quote:
Nothing new here. I knew about this back in the late 70's (showing my age). One of the reasons why I started to really dislike them.

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=82341

Is that just the song titles that they allegedly copied? If so, I can show the plagiarism of thousands of bands. Regardless, they're too accomplished of a band, and they've done a tremendous amount of original material, for me to let that tarnish their reputation. 

Thread derailment over.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #7,943 of 7,980
Quote:

Is that just the song titles that they allegedly copied? If so, I can show the plagiarism of thousands of bands. Regardless, they're too accomplished of a band, and they've done a tremendous amount of original material, for me to let that tarnish their reputation. 

Thread derailment over.

No, sorry, they stole the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiiY4ciKFQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5uMQDlKn8g&list=PLCED74A2A5E594E76

Actually youtube has a bunch of examples, many repeat themselves though.

Thread derailment over.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #7,945 of 7,980
Quote:
No, sorry, they stole the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiiY4ciKFQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5uMQDlKn8g&list=PLCED74A2A5E594E76

Actually youtube has a bunch of examples, many repeat themselves though.

Thread derailment over.

Well, this is the freakin' bummer of the year for me. I'm going to have to look into it more, as I don't know why I've never heard of this. Thanks for taking the time to educate me though. 

Thread derailment really over. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #7,946 of 7,980
Quote:

Well, this is the freakin' bummer of the year for me. I'm going to have to look into it more, as I don't know why I've never heard of this. Thanks for taking the time to educate me though. 

Thread derailment really over. 

Every musician copies from one another and plagiarises, albeit discreetly. 

I sincerely hope your Mum will get better Dr Moulton, and thank you for your story behind the Heir logo. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #7,949 of 7,980
Quote:

Wow... welcome to marketing, everyone hypes their products. That is what advertising is all about. Your lack of researching before buying a product is your fault, not the fault of the company. Do your homework, simple. 

Personally, I do hold a company responsible for its statements. This said, with regard to the 4.A, I agree with Heir Audio's description. As Project86 pointed out, however, I didn't hear the 4.Ai as being identical, or even similar, to its custom cousin.

Quote:
I heard the 4.Ai much later and could definitely hear the differences - rather significant ones. I liked the 4.Ai for what it was but always recommended the "real" custom version for a significantly improved experience. As did Sinocelt who was one of the earliest 4.A users/fans that I can remember.  

Indeed.

Not a headphone but For Sale
size]

Now that's a sales pitch!

I hope all is well with your mom John. I personally liked the original logo, especially when it was floated in John (project86's) 8a.

I like it too, I admit.

(4.A)

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #7,950 of 7,980

Users who are viewing this thread

Back