The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Apr 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #6,436 of 7,980
I actually do :) it depends on the Iems...with the Kaede I can use smaller tips (ortofon large) because I can push them in deep. The 5.0 and 1plus2 are blocked by the cable. I use large silicon tips that I found at the store...no idea what they are but they are 1.5x the size of the red heir large tips.
Wow, do you have caverns in your head? 
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Which tips are you using, btw?

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #6,437 of 7,980
I actually do :) it depends on the Iems...with the Kaede I can use smaller tips (ortofon large) because I can push them in deep. The 5.0 and 1plus2 are blocked by the cable. I use large silicon tips that I found at the store...no idea what they are but they are 1.5x the size of the red heir large tips.

How small are ortofon large tips? Maybe in comparison to other buds. I hear that they have smaller sizes than most companies

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #6,438 of 7,980
Quote:
I actually do
smily_headphones1.gif
it depends on the Iems...with the Kaede I can use smaller tips (ortofon large) because I can push them in deep. The 5.0 and 1plus2 are blocked by the cable. I use large silicon tips that I found at the store...no idea what they are but they are 1.5x the size of the red heir large tips.

lmao even if I put the Sui in with a deep insertion I would not get any sort of seal. So the outer part of your ear canals are large while both my outer and inner parts are large lol. I consider the large orthofon tips to be a small tip :wink:...

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #6,439 of 7,980
Sorry to steer the thread back into fit-related territory, but all of you who are having problems getting a proper seal with your ciems, try unplugging the cable and see if it's easier to get and maintain a seal. On my left side, my cheeks are apparently so fat that I need to angle the cable out from my head, or it will break the seal.

Notice the angle of the pins on the left side and how badly I need a proper macro lens for my camera. 

And yes, in the true spirit of Head-Fi I have exchanged the plug on my Magnus cable for a Viablue slim 3.5mm:

Finally a plug that feels as elegant-yet-solid as the Magnus cable. Sonic difference? Nada. Good looks? Heaps!

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #6,440 of 7,980
I spent a lot of time on the forums and decided to order a pair of 8.A's.  So far I am really impressed with Heir Audio's customer service. I think I had over 40 emails with them and got quick responses to all my questions.  They are on top of things at Heir.  

My ear molds got stuck in customs (my fault I put a high value on them) and Heir sent me an email letting me know what I needed to do.  So far, I am glad I went with Heir.  It seems like customer service can make or brake a pair of custom headphones.     

I think the only thing I am bummed about is not being able to afford a wizard design.  They look like pieces of art.  

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #6,441 of 7,980
Sorry to steer the thread back into fit-related territory, but all of you who are having problems getting a proper seal with your ciems, try unplugging the cable and see if it's easier to get and maintain a seal. On my left side, my cheeks are apparently so fat that I need to angle the cable out from my head, or it will break the seal.

This, sadly, seems to be a common issue with the Magnus. I don't have a terribly fat face but my cheekbones do protrude a little more in that area and, as a result, conflict with my cable. I have to push my pins out as well. I'm actually buying a third-party cable with shorter plugs to see whether that helps. I don't remember my 4.A's having that issue but the Magnus that was shipped with them had the shorter plugs you see on the website.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #6,442 of 7,980
Sorensiim, what wood is that??

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #6,444 of 7,980
Quote:
How small are ortofon large tips? Maybe in comparison to other buds. I hear that they have smaller sizes than most companies

They are small to me, the large being slightly smaller than the large red heir tips, and signicantly smaller then Shure large silicon tips (which fit me but I cannot use with most new iems as the bores are too small).

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #6,445 of 7,980
Quote:

Notice the angle of the pins on the left side and how badly I need a proper macro lens for my camera. 

And yes, in the true spirit of Head-Fi I have exchanged the plug on my Magnus cable for a Viablue slim 3.5mm:

Finally a plug that feels as elegant-yet-solid as the Magnus cable. Sonic difference? Nada. Good looks? Heaps!

I am not a fan of Heir design in general, but you Heir 8.a are  among the best looking ciems I've seen all brands included.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #6,446 of 7,980
So unfortunately I can't get my free refit because I didn't make it within the 30 day policy. Reason why I wasn't able to reach the 30 day policy: It took me 10-15 days to first get used to the monitors (first monitors I've ever owned in my life). Took me about 10 days to assess the fit. Receiving responses from Heir audio via e-mail took longer than I thought. With that delay, the audiologist is now gone to vacation until end of April. I'm now out of luck. 

Original shipping day was on march 5. Definitely disappointed now =(. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #6,447 of 7,980
So unfortunately I can't get my free refit because I didn't make it within the 30 day policy. Reason why I wasn't able to reach the 30 day policy: It took me 10-15 days to first get used to the monitors (first monitors I've ever owned in my life). Took me about 10 days to assess the fit. Receiving responses from Heir audio via e-mail took longer than I thought. With that delay, the audiologist is now gone to vacation until end of April. I'm now out of luck. 

Original shipping day was on march 5. Definitely disappointed now =(. 

Explain to Heir the issue with your audiologist. Alternatively see another one. Surely some common sense will prevail :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #6,448 of 7,980
Quote:
Explain to Heir the issue with your audiologist. Alternatively see another one. Surely some common sense will prevail
smily_headphones1.gif

I called every single audiologist in town and most of them will refuse to do an impression and let me walk away with it. Their policy is that you have to purchase something through them. There are only 3 audiologists that will let me take an impression home. One charges $200 and he thinks Heir Audio is a subpar company (definitely not a professional guy based on his statement). The other audiologist was the one I went to first who screwed up my initial impressions. The third audiologist (the one I want to go to) has been recommended by other head-fi members here and have had great experiences doing refit impressions with her. She is gone to vacation. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #6,449 of 7,980
I called every single audiologist in town and most of them will refuse to do an impression and let me walk away with it. Their policy is that you have to purchase something through them. There are only 3 audiologists that will let me take an impression home. One charges $200 and he thinks Heir Audio is a subpar company (definitely not a professional guy based on his statement). The other audiologist was the one I went to first who screwed up my initial impressions. The third audiologist (the one I want to go to) has been recommended by other head-fi members here and have had great experiences doing refit impressions with her. She is gone to vacation. 

Explain that to Heir and see if they are willing to accommodate you mate. You never know :wink:

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #6,450 of 7,980
Quote:

The 30 day refit is when you signal heir you need a refit no ? Not when you send it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back