The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Nov 20, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #3,166 of 7,980
Quote:
Aaagghh I'm tortured. 
confused_face_2.gif
 I'm trying to finalize my 8a order and can't decide on shell color. Amboyna with dark smoke or black mamba. Anyone want to post pics of theirs to sway me in one direction? Wizard suggested dark smoke.
I want to send the order so my mind can rest!

If I were to redo my 8.A I'd spring for the wood inlay. Ebony faceplate with the Heir crown done as amboyna burl inlay in either a dark smoke or amber shell.

Or you could go all in, pimpin' style: Purple shell, gold flakes and gold faceplates 
biggrin.gif

Part of me actually want gold flakes in my 8.A. Not for the looks, but to make it easier to comprehend for my non-audiophile friends that these bad boys are $1000-$1300 depending on options. Also, they'd be awesome for offending people asking for donations to save the Alabama Spotted Seal or the Antarctic Wild Ponies... "No, sorry, I just had my $1200 customs infused with 24 carat gold so you see there's no money left for charity".

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #3,167 of 7,980
Quote:
If I were to redo my 8.A I'd spring for the wood inlay. Ebony faceplate with the Heir crown done as amboyna burl inlay in either a dark smoke or amber shell.

Or you could go all in, pimpin' style: Purple shell, gold flakes and gold faceplates 
biggrin.gif

Part of me actually want gold flakes in my 8.A. Not for the looks, but to make it easier to comprehend for my non-audiophile friends that these bad boys are $1000-$1300 depending on options. Also, they'd be awesome for offending people asking for donations to save the Alabama Spotted Seal or the Antarctic Wild Ponies... "No, sorry, I just had my $1200 customs infused with 24 carat gold so you see there's no money left for charity".

Mine were the dark smoke. It's a sort of a transparent slate. Very nice. You can see the internals. That with a dark wood cap would be rather spectacular.

That being said, if you're in doubt then trust in Wizard. The man knows his craft and he truly is a craftsman. This thread is 212 pages long and the only negatives I've heard so far are a couple people have had fit issues (quickly rectified) and one very unfortunate person had their CIEMs stolen. No none has had anything but stellar things to say about their purchase in terms of both sound and build.

So take your time, think it over, browse their gallery (and Facebook, I think it has more images than the site (which needs so much love (Wizard is aware of this))). Whatever you end up with will be amazing.

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #3,168 of 7,980
Quote:
7. I had to take them off and look at them.  The wood looks great, almost mirror images on the right and left, NEAT!

From what the Wizard has said to me in the past, that's on purpose. It just goes to show how much care and attention goes into every single one he makes. This is why I keep saying the man is a master craftsman.

Sorry double post. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #3,169 of 7,980
Quote:

Mine were the dark smoke. It's a sort of a transparent slate. Very nice. You can see the internals. That with a dark wood cap would be rather spectacular.

That being said, if you're in doubt then trust in Wizard. The man knows his craft and he truly is a craftsman. This thread is 212 pages long and the only negatives I've heard so far are a couple people have had fit issues (quickly rectified) and one very unfortunate person had their CIEMs stolen. No none has had anything but stellar things to say about their purchase in terms of both sound and build.

So take your time, think it over, browse their gallery (and Facebook, I think it has more images than the site (which needs so much love (Wizard is aware of this))). Whatever you end up with will be amazing.

So true, the man is brilliant. I've seen quite a few just leaving it up to Dr. Moulton and then be stunned by the result. I had a general idea of what I wanted (blue with aluminum shells) but couldn't decide on the specifics, so I just told him to do what he thought looked best. I was not disappointed.

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #3,170 of 7,980
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I just ordered mine today, and I may have pimp'd them out a bit much because all of the options were so intriguing and alluring. I went with a teal shell, afzella burl, woody logo, and coloured tips... I'm worried about the teal & wood colour most in retrospect, but at least they will be "individualized" :)

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #3,171 of 7,980
Quote:
I just ordered mine today, and I may have pimp'd them out a bit much because all of the options were so intriguing and alluring. I went with a teal shell, afzella burl, woody logo, and coloured tips... I'm worried about the teal & wood colour most in retrospect, but at least they will be "individualized" :)

You sir, you WILL post pictures when you receive them!! I was AMAZINGLY close to going with the teal shell as well...

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #3,174 of 7,980
Quote:
 You sir, you WILL post pictures when you receive them!! I was AMAZINGLY close to going with the teal shell as well...

I certainly will. I'd also like to throw out a request for youtube vids of the 8.As. At the moment, there are only 3 vids on Heir products, and none of them review (or show off) CIEMS. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #3,176 of 7,980
Today's album recomendation is not Fink. I know, it sounds crazy, but hear me out.

Andreya Triana - Lost Where I Belong. Look it up on Amazon, Ebay, Other Bays, Walmart, Whatever.

Alicia Keys meets Ane Brun - with an extra pinch of soul. Great recording, it sounds awesome on the Rendition 1/Tzar 350 rig I'm reviewing.

Disclaimer: I ran into this artist when tube surfing for Fink live performances. I found this:

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #3,177 of 7,980
Quote:
Today's album recomendation is not Fink. I know, it sounds crazy, but hear me out.

Andreya Triana - Lost Where I Belong. Look it up on Amazon, Ebay, Other Bays, Walmart, Whatever.

Alicia Keys meets Ane Brun - with an extra pinch of soul. Great recording, it sounds awesome on the Rendition 1/Tzar 350 rig I'm reviewing.

Disclaimer: I ran into this artist when tube surfing for Fink live performances. I found this:

Very nice, she has a really nice voice, I'm going to have to hear more. Thanks for posting the video. :)

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #3,178 of 7,980
I've started work on the Tzar 350 review... Is there any music you guys would like me to try with them? Genres, artists or specific tracks. 
smile.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #3,179 of 7,980
Quote:
  I've started work on the Tzar 350 review... Is there any music you guys would like me to try with them? Genres, artists or specific tracks. 
smile.gif

Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem" is probably a fixture amongst audiophile test tracks, though it's not as well done as I would've imagined a Chesky Records album to be. I have the HDTracks 24/88 Bob Katz remaster.

I also find Vivaldi: Recitative and Aria from Cantata RV 679, "Che giova il sospirar, povero core", which can be found easily on the 2L Nordic Sound high-resolution test bench, a great track that tests out vocal tracking (the singer sways around a lot), bass control (the cellos are quite nice), and transparency, as well as airiness (lots of harpsichord going around).

Actually, the 2L test bench tracks are mostly all pretty well done, and easily accessible by the public, so it'd be a good place to get test tracks. In particular, if you choose any of the tracks with violin in it, I'll probably know it pretty well.
biggrin.gif

Would also appreciate some Melody Gardot or Stacey Kent --- none of their stuff is supremely mastered, but obviously not pop music bad.

Notice that everything I'm choosing is not "out of the element" for the Tzar 350.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #3,180 of 7,980
Quote:
smile.gif

I'll see if I can get in first and start you off :)

Tori Amos or Joss Stone (female vocals)
Tool (contemporary rock/metal)
Led Zeppelin (classic rock)
Phutureprimitive - 'Kinetik' album (heavy sub-bass)
1200 Micrograms (layered synths and electronic drums)
Simon and Garfunkel (male vocals)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back