The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Nov 20, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #3,181 of 7,980
Quote:

Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem" is probably a fixture amongst audiophile test tracks, though it's not as well done as I would've imagined a Chesky Records album to be. I have the HDTracks 24/88 Bob Katz remaster.

I also find Vivaldi: Recitative and Aria from Cantata RV 679, "Che giova il sospirar, povero core", which can be found easily on the 2L Nordic Sound high-resolution test bench, a great track that tests out vocal tracking (the singer sways around a lot), bass control (the cellos are quite nice), and transparency, as well as airiness (lots of harpsichord going around).

Actually, the 2L test bench tracks are mostly all pretty well done, and easily accessible by the public, so it'd be a good place to get test tracks. In particular, if you choose any of the tracks with violin in it, I'll probably know it pretty well.
biggrin.gif

I've got Rebecca Pidgeon's Retrospective album from HDtracks, will be sure to include Spanish Harlem. Got some 2L as well... 

Quote:

I'll see if I can get in first and start you off :)

Tori Amos or Joss Stone (female vocals)
Tool (contemporary rock/metal)
Led Zeppelin (classic rock)
Phutureprimitive - 'Kinetik' album (heavy sub-bass)
1200 Micrograms (layered synths and electronic drums)
Simon and Garfunkel (male vocals)

Tori Amos: Will be using "Me And A Gun". Brilliant. 
Tool: I've got Tool. And A Perfect Circle. And Puscifer. I like Maynard.
Led Zeppelin: I'll have to dig that up
Simon and Garfunkel: Greatest Hits and Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme are on my shelf.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #3,182 of 7,980
Quote:
In Canada I'd be lucky if they only taxed $50. When the 8a hits customs they'll probably charge me 13% of the declared value if it's high so 13% of $975 would be $126..

Lucky you. :wink:
I pay the full 20% VAT on top of some tax fees. Like another forum user here from the same country I expect to pay around [size=small]£150 which is $239. [/size]
[size=small]Add another [/size][size=small]£50 ($80) for ear mold impressions.:wink:[/size]

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #3,183 of 7,980
Quote:
I pay the full 20% VAT on top of some tax fees. Like another forum user here from the same country I expect to pay around [size=small]£150 which is $239. [/size]
[size=small]Add another [/size][size=small]£50 ($80) for ear mold impressions.:wink:[/size]

He's just counting tax, I would assume coming from China into Canada there would also be duty charged as well as potential fees applied by the courier company. All in I'd expect the cost would be similar.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #3,185 of 7,980
I pay the full 20% VAT on top of some tax fees. Like another forum user here from the same country I expect to pay around [COLOR=222222]£150 which is $239.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Add another [/COLOR][COLOR=222222]£50 ($80) for ear mold impressions.:wink:[/COLOR]

He's just counting tax, I would assume coming from China into Canada there would also be duty charged as well as potential fees applied by the courier company. All in I'd expect the cost would be similar.

from what ive seen so far, canada seems better off with the fees- 13% plus maybe $5-10 for the shipping companies plus $30 initial shipping
the brits have $50 initial shipping, plus their VAT (which looks to be already 20%) plus other fees

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #3,187 of 7,980
Quote:
That track makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Doesn't matter how many times I hear it, still does the same. Heard her do it live once too, and am not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye.

Reading the story behind it sure doesn't help my "allergies" either.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3,188 of 7,980
Quote:
from what ive seen so far, canada seems better off with the fees- 13% plus maybe $5-10 for the shipping companies plus $30 initial shipping
the brits have $50 initial shipping, plus their VAT (which looks to be already 20%) plus other fees

Do customs coming into NA also go through the US? Although not a guarantee that would likely avoid duty but if it's coming straight from China then I would expect duty to be added on to the tax as well. The taxes within Canada vary depending on province, I'm not sure what the highest rates are but right now I pay 5% on items coming across the border, that will increase to 14% when HST comes into effect in the spring though. :frowning2:

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3,189 of 7,980
Quote:

Mine were the dark smoke. It's a sort of a transparent slate. Very nice. You can see the internals. That with a dark wood cap would be rather spectacular.

That being said, if you're in doubt then trust in Wizard. The man knows his craft and he truly is a craftsman.

Quote:
so I just told him to do what he thought looked best. I was not disappointed.

Turns out I finally settled on what Wizard originally suggested and went with the dark smoke and special wood faceplate. I know it will be awesome.
Getting ear impressions today!

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3,190 of 7,980
Quote:
Today's album recomendation is not Fink. I know, it sounds crazy, but hear me out.

Andreya Triana - Lost Where I Belong. Look it up on Amazon, Ebay, Other Bays, Walmart, Whatever.

Andreya Triana? I never knew you had such great taste in music.
tongue.gif
Do check out the tracks she did with Flying Lotus and Bonobo. Good stuff!

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #3,193 of 7,980
I used to live in ChengDu. It is a large metropolitan city with an international airport. I'm sure UPS fly directly out of the city, so it is not unreasonable to expect shipping in under a week if you live in another major city such as LA or Vancouver. But, I would take everything UPS say with a brick of salt. They can't figure out how to work the buzzer on my door. It's a wonder they get anything delivered. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #3,194 of 7,980
I am in California and UPS is clear that expected delivery is Friday. Will be interesting to see when they show up. Our regular UPS guy must have +10 to sneak and a cloak of invisibility, and I expect he will turn into the mailman from the Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm when he realizes he has to collect money for duties to deliver the package.
Someone mentioned they take checks, do they take plastic or is it only check or money order?

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #3,195 of 7,980
Quote:
I am in California and UPS is clear that expected delivery is Friday. Will be interesting to see when they show up. Our regular UPS guy must have +10 to sneak and a cloak of invisibility, and I expect he will turn into the mailman from the Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm when he realizes he has to collect money for duties to deliver the package.
Someone mentioned they take checks, do they take plastic or is it only check or money order?

I live in Denmark (Northen Europe) and stuff from Heir usually takes about 5 days to get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back