The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Feb 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #288 of 7,980
I think this one looks amazing. Great design and those laser cut holes give it a whole different feel. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #289 of 7,980
Quote:
I think this one looks amazing. Great design and those laser cut holes give it a whole different feel. 

Indeed. Though if it were me, I'd choose a bigger hole (in the shape of the Heir Audio logo, for instance; it looks pretty neat) so that more of the internals are visible -- especially since there's no light coming out of my ears, in spite of all my luminous ideas.

A "computer on"-shaped hole over a green shell would also look pretty cool! And over a phosphorescent shell, it would look even better!... in the dark, at least.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #291 of 7,980
Visually stunning however we would expect nothing less from the Wizard. My CIEM's have been refitted and will be on their way back shortly. What is amazing is that Heir was able to re-use the existing shell, make the adjustments and even extended the length for me to musician's fit. Very much anticipating their return.

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #295 of 7,980
I wonder how many 6.As are left.

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #296 of 7,980
Good question. One less by now I guess :)

In case anyone is unfamiliar, I'll repeat the story. Apparently Wizard had a large stash of DTEC drivers from Knowles Acoustics that he was using. He had been working with these particular drivers for about 3 years and had just released this 6.A model with the newly formed Heir Audio (Wizard has patents for other models that he has done for other companies, don't know if any of them used this same DTEC). Knowles then told him that this particular DTEC is a proprietary design and Wizard was never supposed to have it in the first place. No big deal, except when it comes time to reorder and he can't get any more. Since each 6.A pair uses 8 of these drivers total, he would burn through his stash quickly.

Wizard asked me not to spend much time reviewing my 6.A when I get them. He doesn't want a bunch of hassle with orders coming in and not enough drivers to build them. There is probably enough left for a few more but that's it. I'm sure at some point Wizard will come up with a suitable replacement and start selling the 6.A again, but it could be a while since Heir is so busy with orders these days. 

Of course, I won't be able to refrain from posting at least a few impressions of the 6.A when I get them. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #297 of 7,980
The craftsmanship looks like the best out of any of the custom iem companies right now.  I don't need an 8.A..I don't need an 8.A..I dont need..sigh

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #300 of 7,980

Quote:
Knowles then told him that this particular DTEC is a proprietary design and Wizard was never supposed to have it in the first place. No big deal, except when it comes time to reorder and he can't get any more. Since each 6.A pair uses 8 of these drivers total, he would burn through his stash quickly.

Dunno what kind of DTEC he uses but it's easly available through mouser http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Knowles-Acoustics/DTEC-30008-000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMttVYCpp6LxRWugUaSZfB8f

Users who are viewing this thread

Back