The "WINDOWS 7 IS FREAKING AWESOME!" thread.
Sep 5, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #80 of 289
Very nice! Just installed RTM Ultimate yesterday, on my newly built PC. Beats Vista in terms of resource efficiency. Still not a revolutionary improvement, but for now, I'm content.

Intel i7 920 (with a Xigmatek Dark Knight Cooler)
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600
WD 640GB HD
Corsair 620HX 620W PSU

And a temp 9600GT, since I'm waiting to snag one of the ATI 5 series GPUs.

Sep 6, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #81 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Far Cry is asking for DX9. I installed it under XP can't be bothered to install another for 7. I don't like the exclusion of start menu.

Pretty sure Windows 7 has a start menu...

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #83 of 289
I just ordered the free upgrade pack (from Vista Home Premium) for my Gateway laptop.
I hope I made the right decision because I have no idea how resource heavy this thing is (whether my lappie can cope it) and how compatible it is with other softwares..

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #84 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the free upgrade pack (from Vista Home Premium) for my Gateway laptop.
I hope I made the right decision because I have no idea how resource heavy this thing is (whether my lappie can cope it) and how compatible it is with other softwares..

It's less resource heavy than Vista. You can run 7 on a low-powered netbook.

Pretty much everything that works with Vista works with 7. The only thing which doesn't work perfectly (from my experiences) is the latest release of MediaPortal. But even that works. Just not very well.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #85 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty sure Windows 7 has a start menu...

wink.gif

Always wanted to visit NZ...my mom's college roommate lives in Auckland...

Win7 is treating my 6GB of Corsair Dominator very nicely...

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #86 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's less resource heavy than Vista. You can run 7 on a low-powered netbook.

Pretty much everything that works with Vista works with 7. The only thing which doesn't work perfectly (from my experiences) is the latest release of MediaPortal. But even that works. Just not very well.

So what are the main attractions of Windows 7?
I am not a very savvy Windows user so any complicated benefits probably won't be that much of a use for me.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #87 of 289
A much cleaner interface, very Leopard-like. The ability to selectively turn-off unwanted windows OS features freeing up system resources. Virtual console. Robust driver support on first install (Vista had ****ty driver support upon release). The list goes on...

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #88 of 289
Everything works right out of the box. Drivers are installed automatically etc...

And the interface is nicer and is much snappier than Vista. It has really nice built in wallpapers too.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #89 of 289
So since my laptop is currently running Windows Vista premium, I can actually install it without doing a fresh install (that's according to the website).
Since the laptop is very new and I only have 2 programs installed so far (Norton internet security and MS office), do you think it's ok to do a straight install instead of a fresh install (wiping out everything)?

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #90 of 289
Yep, congrats. I had to do a full install. Took forever to back up my boot drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back