The "WINDOWS 7 IS FREAKING AWESOME!" thread.
Sep 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #106 of 289
on the more premium versions windows complete backup (imaging system)

saves third party software. it works perfectly and i have used it many occasions - for me that alone, with the improvement in stability, less bloat, usability (libraries are nice to organize vast collections of media) is worth the price tag imho

i also appreciate the improved taskbar and its ability to pin oft-used files to each application for absolute lazy easy access.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. Tell me something important (besides shaking windows
bigsmile_face.gif
) that you could not do on XP and you can on Vista/7. Something worth a few hundred bucks.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #107 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Welcome to 2007.

The latest NIS is actually very good. I've gone back to it after relying on Kaspersky & ESET for the last several years. Norton have a a greatly improved product now.

Number of times Viruses have destroyed my PC: 0
Number of times Norton has destroyed my PC: 1

I think I'd choose putting a virus on my PC before I'd put Norton on it. Worst software every made.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #108 of 289
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Welcome to 2007.

The latest NIS is actually very good. I've gone back to it after relying on Kaspersky & ESET for the last several years. Norton have a a greatly improved product now.

To this I will agree. I don't have IS, just NAV and it works well, doesn't hog resources, and full scans are fast. After using NAV for a number of years I switched to BitDefender. It was also a resource hog but was good at what it was it was intended for. I then heard some really negative things about the latest version of BF but good things about NAV so I switched back.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #109 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Number of times Viruses have destroyed my PC: 0
Number of times Norton has destroyed my PC: 1

I think I'd choose putting a virus on my PC before I'd put Norton on it. Worst software every made.

I did a fresh install of Windows. Working fine. I then installed Norton. And then I got a fatal BSOD the next reboot. Get the XP install disc out. A
angry_face.gif
GAIN. And cut the Norton disc in two with some kitchen scissors.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #110 of 289
Using Windows 7 Pro for a while now, working OK.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #111 of 289
Quote:

bigsmile_face.gif
) that you could not do on XP and you can on Vista/7. Something worth a few hundred bucks.

A complete rearchitecture of the security model. UAC, which causes programs to run with lower privledges and prevents them from damaging the system configuration. Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), which makes it a LOT harder to write exploits. Video Drivers pulled out of kernel mode, which dramatically increases system stability (I lost count of how many times NVIDIA/Ati drivers crashed my system on XP; on Vista, the drivers can crash but my system recovers within 10 seconds and my programs are still running (even full-screen games!) without a hitch.

Libraries, which make it easier to group together and search your media libraries, regardless of where they're stored. Homegroups, which makes home networking so simple it's crazy.

The new Taskbar, which gives me a consistent place to access my programs whether they're running or not. Improved search across everywhere - Start Menu, Control Panel, Hard Drives, Libraries, etc.

Snap features - want to look at 2 windows side by side? Drag one to one side of the screen and it'll snap to take up half hte screen. Drag the other to the other side and suddenly you have two windows side-by-side for easy work. There's also peek, which lets you find your applications easily by hovering over their taskbar thumbnails.

A new networking stack that's much more secure and all-around better.

A built-in monitor calibration tool.

A huge array of tablet/touch features. Vista was a huge step, and 7 over Vista is almost as huge of a gain.

Service Hardening - isolation of system services so that they can't harm or affect running programs.

Improved UI responsiveness - you'd be shocked what a couple of milliseconds shaved off response times can do to make something feel snappy. XP feels like a drag in comarison.

Per-app volume controls - want to mute just IE to have it not interrupt your MP3 playing? You can do that. Do you want to up the Skype volume and turn down your game? You can do that.

Desktop Gadgets. Not a huge feature, but a nice touch.

Windows+P for quick changing of Multi-Mon/Projector settings. A huge time saver in a business environment.

Care for me to continue? Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not unless you install XP/Vista THEN use the upgrade disc...what a chore.
Which services can I disable?

Don't. This isn't XP; just leave it be. Vista/7 get faster, not slower, over time.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #113 of 289
Quote:

bigsmile_face.gif

I have something to add to Arainach's post. Windows 7 has much improved Cleartype. This means that text no longer has a colorful halo on my H-IPS monitor, which in itself is worth the full price of the OS to me.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #114 of 289
7 mapped my nas for me automatically, you wouldnt believe the hassle a nas newbie like me had setting it up first time round on vista, it was a nightmare. On 7 I literally plugged it in and bang, mapped and sorted.

Not to mention a 6 or 7 year old printer needing driver updates etc off the manufacturer website when using vista, installed automatically in 7 and it even showed me a pretty picture of it too lol

7 is a whole new experience and one which so far, for me, just works.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #115 of 289
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Welcome to 2007.

Norton 2009 is a complete revamping of their security software. Greatly improved speeds/efficiency, with record-setting detection/defense rates. I also used to use Kaspersky, ESET and ZoneAlarm, but now rely solely on NIS. Currently, I'm using the NIS 2010 beta, on all of my Win7 PCs. Norton Insight is pretty cool. Good use of crowdsourcing.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #116 of 289
So I can just do an upgrade install instead of clear install for my laptop which is currently on Vista premium, right?

I am not really confident in doing a fresh wipe/install with new OS (with a laptop) so I thought I'd just play it safe if it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #117 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I can just do an upgrade install instead of clear install for my laptop which is currently on Vista premium, right?

I am not really confident in doing a fresh wipe/install with new OS (with a laptop) so I thought I'd just play it safe if it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Yes. Believe so. Win7 asked me if I wanted to upgrade install when I already had Vista Ultimate, and I did so. Hasta la Vista, Vista!

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #118 of 289
I currently have Windows 7 on my main desktop and I absolutely love it. At first I had a few blue screens of death, but once I updated my devices via Windows Update, everything has been as smooth as butter.

I want to get it for my Asus EeePC, but I first need to get a hold of a USB DVD drive. Is there a way to install Windows 7 without a USB DVD drive?

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #119 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to get it for my Asus EeePC, but I first need to get a hold of a USB DVD drive. Is there a way to install Windows 7 without a USB DVD drive?

huh?

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #120 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have Windows 7 on my main desktop and I absolutely love it. At first I had a few blue screens of death, but once I updated my devices via Windows Update, everything has been as smooth as butter.

The external optical drive is a nice and easy way to do it, but as long as your MB supports USB flash drive booting, you can install from any sufficiently sized USB flash drive as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back