The "WINDOWS 7 IS FREAKING AWESOME!" thread.
Jul 23, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #46 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone using AVG-free antivirus with it?
Also, Anyone using Magic Jack phone with it?

If it doesnt run those, i wont be using it on my main system.
Maybe on a laptop, or dual-boot.

What about Winamp? Zune? Ipod? Alien Dac? As long as my applications work.

Why so attached to AVG? There are plenty other (superior) free anti-viruses...

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #48 of 289
I've been running windows 7 for the past month or so on my laptop and I love it. I especially like the fingerprint recognition much more than the software that originally came with my dell.

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #49 of 289
i have been using it since it was leaked, i like it love it want it hug it lick it stroke it
it's on a xps m1530, 2.4ghz, 4 gigs of ram, geforce 8600 gtm, pretty gr8 in every respect

also, everything that works on vista works on 7. everything.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #50 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I installed Windows 7 yesterday and all was well until I got to installing the drivers for my videocard. A ATI HD 4890. When I rebooted my screen went blank. Neat stuff. So after 10 years of knowing the EDID issue ATI doesn't make drivers that would work around this and there are still monitors which are being made which give the wrong info. Very sad moment. I'm testing with Vista and XP now and if that doesn't work either I think I'll return the card and give up on ATI for the rest of my life.

Windows 7 - to get back on topic - is very nice though. It boots faster than any Windows version before it. Also, the GUI is somewhat better than versions before, but frankly it still doesn't work. You will still have to make your own changes before it's actually useable. For the rest I don't really know yet, because my videocard stopped working...
frown.gif

My 4890 is working fine in Win 7 RC - is it because you have an older monitor?

Win 7 rocks, I'm quite happy with it. Things make sense most of the time, and it's more intuitive to use than Vista though sometimes the Control Panel makes me run a search for things before being able to find them.

The USB issue is bugging me though - very slow USB transfer!
frown.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #51 of 289
So far it's not as stable for me as Vista (wireless disconnect followed by IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL bluescreen on my laptop) but it is a release candidate. I'll definitely upgrade when it becomes available through MAPS or MSDNAA- whichever comes first.
smily_headphones1.gif

It really depends on if Lenovo has the drivers available at launch though, I really miss being able to switch between Intel and ATI graphics w/o going into the BIOS and the fingerprint reader isn't supported yet. All in due time I guess.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #52 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try grabbing the title bar of a window and shaking it and seeing what happens.

It minimizes all other windows

Too much energy involved to perform that, I won't be using it too much. I believe they call it Spaces in Apple. I don't like neither though.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #53 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 4890 is working fine in Win 7 RC - is it because you have an older monitor?

Nah, the monitor is just fine. It was an EDID problem which was affecting both Windows 7 and Vista. There is a huge thread on the AMD forums on this issue. They fixed it now though so I could install Windows 7 again if I wanted to, but I think I'll wait until it's released. I'll be running Vista Business until that happens.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #54 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why so attached to AVG? There are plenty other (superior) free anti-viruses...

I never said i was so attached to it,...i merely said "Anyone use AVG-free antivirus with it?"

But, being it is what im using, and other programs, i was wondering if it would support these, or will i have to switch antivirus programs, and my Magic Jack, which i have for phone service now, and my Alien Dac, which is now my soundcard used with a SS Millet Hybrid.

Also, if youre going to say anything towards my question, you could have:

1: answered it rather than critisized me
2: told me which "superior" antivirus programs are out there
3: realized i never said i was "attached" at all

AVG has worked fine for me, so i use it. There may be better, but the other free ones ive tried havent tickled my fancy really.

Windows 7 could be the best GUI in the world and the most stable, but if it doesnt run my programs, to me it would be useless.

I use Trillian, MagicJack, Alien Dac, Yahoo,MSN,AIM,Google,MySpace, messengers,
ThompsonChain bible software, other bible software, wireless keyboard/mouse/usb wireless modem, zune,ipod,sansa players, and my digital camera, updates to my garmin and tomtom gps, ... and if i cant do this with windows 7, then it is useless to me.

No worries, youve always been nice on the forum.....i just wanted to fully explain my original question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #55 of 289
Win7 is Win.

Honestly, my PC can run Call of Duty 4 and Dead Space in 40-60 FPS on high settings, all because of the simplicity and efficiency of Windows 7. Back when I was using Vista and XP, my desktop couldn't run those games quite well. I will further test Win7 using my other games like Crysis, Red Alert 3, Mirror's Edge, and many more.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #56 of 289
I installed the RTM today and so far so good. It certainly has a nice look and feel to it and feels speedy. I'm coming from XP which I tweaked a lot and had stripped out a lot of the detritus. I'm currently dual-booting and will continue to do so till I get a number of the key progs I use installed. I did install the Ultimate version and I realize I can use the VM XP feature but I want to first see how this OS behaves.

My most recent install is SpeedFan. To my surprise, my CPU is running cooler under 7 than XP which is a very nice bonus indeed.

I am guardedly optimistic.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #57 of 289
I have been using 7 for a while, other than a few issues where apps didnt want to install in 64bit due to a wrong version and picky apps that arent used to 7's implementation of 32/64bit

Works well, sorta wish i ordered the upgrade but I figure the extra 50 bucks for an OEM copy will be better in the long run as I reformat often (use a Mac so little of importance is on windows) and having to install 2 OSes for 1 every time i reformat would be a pain. One thing I did notice is 7 drive showed up in windows but recently decided to disappear ntfs3g cant find it either, my guess is that the extra reserved system space joined the main system partition (i need to upgrade my hdd) and as a result confused osx since it cant find the boot sector.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #58 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]I never said i was so attached to it,...i merely said "Anyone use AVG-free antivirus with it?"

But, being it is what im using, and other programs, i was wondering if it would support these, or will i have to switch antivirus programs, and my Magic Jack, which i have for phone service now, and my Alien Dac, which is now my soundcard used with a SS Millet Hybrid.

Also, if youre going to say anything towards my question, you could have:

1: answered it rather than critisized me
2: told me which "superior" antivirus programs are out there
3: realized i never said i was "attached" at all

AVG has worked fine for me, so i use it. There may be better, but the other free ones ive tried havent tickled my fancy really.

Windows 7 could be the best GUI in the world and the most stable, but if it doesnt run my programs, to me it would be useless.

I use Trillian, MagicJack, Alien Dac, Yahoo,MSN,AIM,Google,MySpace, messengers,
ThompsonChain bible software, other bible software, wireless keyboard/mouse/usb wireless modem, zune,ipod,sansa players, and my digital camera, updates to my garmin and tomtom gps, ... and if i cant do this with windows 7, then it is useless to me.

No worries, youve always been nice on the forum.....i just wanted to fully explain my original question.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Avira AntiVir has better detection than AVG. Both are free.
Digsby IMO is better than Trillian.
If an application works in Vista, then it will most prolly work in 7.

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #59 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu Som3a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avira AntiVir has better detection than AVG. Both are free.

I agree 100%. Not only does Avira have better detection but its engine is significantly lighter so your computer will run faster under heavy IO. My own informal testing showed that Avira used 2.5-3x less CPU than AVG under similar disk IO. This is significant because the on-access AVG scanner was eating up to 70% of the CPU on my old laptop.

Avira has an ad pop up upon every update but that's easily fixed. Google is your friend if you want to find how.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #60 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avira has an ad pop up upon every update but that's easily fixed. Google is your friend if you want to find how.

Thanks. I never knew that was possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back