The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Feb 23, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #421 of 516
um2... my best in-ear so far... luv them

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #422 of 516
I will say this about the UM2, having once owned it: If you don't hear sibilance, or if you hear it and it doesn't bother you, you will probably like them. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me. But that's why more than one brand exists, right?

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #424 of 516
great thread i must say. :p
so i want to buy a Westone UM1 to pair with my 3rd gen iPod Shuffle, will it be a good pair without amping?
i have no clue about ohm impendence stuff, so i will really appreciate your help.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #426 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great thread i must say. :p
so i want to buy a Westone UM1 to pair with my 3rd gen iPod Shuffle, will it be a good pair without amping?
i have no clue about ohm impendence stuff, so i will really appreciate your help.

Short answer: Yes, it will sound good.

I moved from the er-6i to a pair of UM1s that I got as a gift. Coming from the Ety camp, I wasn't in love with the lack of detail, but there was something pleasing about the warmth and musicality of the sound. Combined with the comfort, they became my regular pair of headphones. I added an amp in place, and tweaked the sound, and they sounded pretty near the etys, but retaining the warmth. I was still quite happy without amping though.

Later I moved up to the UM2, and fell in love. The amp was completely out of the picture being driven by my Karma. The sound was excelent. Good sources help too though. During my UM1 phase, I did make the upgrade to custom tips, which I recommend highly. It makes a huge difference in comfort and I think sound quality. I noticed better isolation, better highs, tighter bass, and far more comfort.

I think you'll be happy with the UM1s out of the shuffle. I've heard good things about the sound quality from the Shuffles, so it shouldn't be a problem.

-Jeff

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #427 of 516
bump

Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got myself a shure triple flanges

i heard of that those tips can be modded to be a double flanges

how do i go about doing it?

any pictorial example?

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #428 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got myself a shure triple flanges

i heard of that those tips can be modded to be a double flanges

how do i go about doing it?

any pictorial example?

very easy...lift up (roll up) the smallest flange and cut it off from the stem so that you are left with a bi-flange without any excess stem.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #429 of 516
Hello everyone,

My current beater IEM is the skullcandy smokin' buds and I am considering the UM1 as my upgrade.

Quick question, how do these IEM's stack up to other IEM's when playing jazz and classical music?

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #430 of 516
Hi, all.
I am using shure e2c with ipod classic 80g and go vibe petite(line out) for portable rig.
I am looking for IEM now cause my e2c wire has been problem.
My question is if I buy UM1, Is it worthy and kind of upgrade or side grade?
Can I get some good improvement from e2c to um1?

Or just step up to UM2?

I need your opinion.
Many thanks.
Sorry for English.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #431 of 516
I have had the e2c and did not like it much because it did not have any bass although it was otherwise a fine phone. I also did not like the thick cable. I have not heard the UM1 and did not buy it because is supposed to have less bass than the UM2, which is what I ended up buying. So I went through the same experience as yours and ended up very happy with the 2's. Good luck! Oh, and don't buy retail. Email them (road dogonline.com) and ask for a better price. Earphonesolutions refused to give me a better deal.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #434 of 516
I recently bought my first pair of decent 'phones, Shure SE210's, but I didn't love the sound, and I actually found them very uncomfortable. Reading up around here convinced me that UM2's might be the way to go, especially regarding comfort, so I splurged more than I'd planned, and got them.

They're exactly what I hoped they'd be -- REALLY comfortable, great sound, and very fun. I've been going back and relistening to tons of music.

I'm having to use the large Comply tips to get a seal, and even then it isn't great. Before I returned the Shures, I tried the black foamies on the UM2's, and the isolation was much better. So I'm ordering those, and I should be set.

Last thing is, as many have noted, they do roll off some highs, especially with the Comply tips, but when I set my iPod eq to treble boost, they sound just perfect. Very musical, much richer and weightier than the SE210's. Good stuff.

To anyone that's hesitating, don't. Just get them.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #435 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by straleno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To anyone that's hesitating, don't. Just get them.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Rule of thumb is, if you are able to, always try them before you buy. If not, just be aware of the sound signature of the phones and consider what you enjoy. If those two match, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back