The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 14, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #86,686 of 88,370
Apr 14, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #86,687 of 88,370
I let the Alter Ego cook all day. Listening on the default setting, they are very easy to enjoy and connect with music. Really good balance from the low end through the mid frequencies. Nothing is distracting. They throw a wide stage. The open backs leave a lot of room for everything to have its moment. The bass is strong and clean. It doesn’t have the same texture or visceral presence as what I've experienced with Monachaa, but it does just fine (on the default setting). I don't hear the same quality top end detail retrieval as Annihilator 23, Monachaa, or even Crimson, but I’m still making accessory adjustments. The Alter Ego has one foot in smooth DD bass boosted reference, and with the flip of a switch, the other foot is having a party. It is going to be a big hit for Melodic Artification.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #86,688 of 88,370
I let the Alter Ego cook all day. Listening on the default setting, they are very easy to enjoy and connect with music. Really good balance from the low end through the mid frequencies. Nothing is distracting. They throw a wide stage. The open backs leave a lot of room for everything to have its moment. The bass is strong and clean. It doesn’t have the same texture or visceral presence as what I've experienced with Monachaa, but it does just fine (on the default setting). I don't hear the same quality top end detail retrieval as Annihilator 23, Monachaa, or even Crimson, but I’m still making accessory adjustments. The Alter Ego has one foot in smooth DD bass boosted reference, and with the flip of a switch, the other foot is having a party. It is going to be a big hit for Melodic Artification.
Exciting. Keen to hear your thoughts re: cable / tip and source synergies.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #86,689 of 88,370
Few things that i truly impressed with Alter Ego: Vocal, Coherency, Soundstage and Puncy Bass.

Still curious how loud the leak though, I think should be less than Radon 6 / Turii Ti, but that's my only assumption.
I could listen to it just fine on a decently-crowded CanJam floor, and my listening volumes tend to just be below average. I’d say they’re more along the lines of pressure-relief-equipped IEMs, and more isolating than the Softears DD IEMs.

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #86,690 of 88,370
Oh and I have to post one more - I've been a huge fan of the AnotherLateNight / Late Night Tales series since it first came out in the late 90s (or perhaps early 00s... need to double check!) - discovered so many artists from these stunning compilations. Revisiting again lately and the Rae & Christian from 2001 was always a huge favourite due to how they actually mixed like a DJ set with brilliantly curated track selection and seamless mixing, plus a hugely eclectic selection of genres that just blend perfectly... the climax track 10 'Roll Call' still brings a massive smile to my face and has me dancing in the kitchen chair all these years later :) Highly, highly recommended to basically anyone!

Edit: just checked, the first AnotherLateNight was in 2001 and by Fila Brazillia (another gem, but they pretty much all are...)

Edit 2: this actually has me in tears... it really is incredible the power of music to connect to a distant time, there is nothing else for me that can achieve that as much as music... next I would say smell, and then photos or video.

Brings back memories, got the zero 7 one kicking about it somewhere, that got played to death at the after parties for a chill!

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #86,691 of 88,370
Why does Passion for Sound keep saying the Rn6 has the fuller low-end, while everyone here says it's the Xn6. Did he get them switch around?

I think he messed up this particular review. Not sure if he rushed it but he got several basic things wrong in this one.

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #86,692 of 88,370
I listen to various heavy music ranging from Disturbed to all kinds of Obituary, Immortal, Shadow of Intent.In my opinion, XE6 does not fit metal at all, it is too soft and imposing, the same RN6 is much better suited for metal.Raven is controversial too, there will be too much bass for some styles.For me, XE6 and Raven are not evil headphones in a good way, RN6 with Anni23, for example, are angrier and more driving in this regard
Scarlet Mini

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #86,693 of 88,370
What a glorious day today in the North East.
What a difference the seasons make,
for fun two shots Spring vs Winter.

IMG_3681.jpeg

IMG_3481.jpeg

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #86,695 of 88,370
What a glorious day today in the North East.
What a difference the seasons make,
for fun two shots Spring vs Winter.

Well, I made myself a killer steak last night, which is almost as good.

20240414_180356.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #86,697 of 88,370
This is the one I re-bought :) still one of the comfiest IEM’s I’ve ever used so I decided to pick one up again for housework and zoom call duties 🤭
Ah, one of two IEMs I've re-bought (and now know better than to sell again). Amazing bass, sound, comfort. Can't praise it enough. ❤️
+1 on IE900. So very underrated! With the right tips, they are so coimfortable!

In the current moment of time I would not recommend buying C9 at all. Paired with N8ii to my taste C9 only worsened the sound signature without adding much power.
Plus Cayin is working on new iteration of it, but besides that there are plenty of other interesting options like Tsuranagi.
Yep just read up on the C9ii. Intersting that C9 worsens the sound of N8ii. Probably will wait for some reviews of that one. Hoped for something simple transportable and not too hot for the summer days to pair it up with N8ii for Atrium and Verite headphones on the move or holidays, or just use at home since Envy 300b amp gets really hot in summer.
N8ii can drive them but there is definitly some room for improvement. Hmm.
N8ii is insane value for money imho. Its still pocketable while having a lot of power and many options to shape the sound, not being far off something like N30 and DX320 which I owned previously and which I really cant consider pocketable devices anymore. I am very happy with the detailed but slightly warm and thick sound signature of N8ii too, DX320 certainly has the edge in imaging and wider stage, but I disliked the coldish timbre and sometimes excessive treble spikes with some iems.

And yep, I already got a totl desktop solution its just very hot in summer both Holo May and Feliks Envy with giant 300b tubes, in winter you can basically heat your room with those. I just have a very weak spot for portable powerful devices since I am on the move a lot. N8ii is already very capable of driving 300 ohm Atrium and VO, I was impressed by how well it could drive Storm too without maxing out the volume. But yes there is just always this little urge to push things further.
I have not tried it myself but I have been hearing a lot of good things with the N8ii + PB5 Osprey combination, especially for Storm!

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #86,698 of 88,370
So apparently Pentacomm released new Coreir AL Alloy tips but I haven’t seen much in the way of posts here for them. Currently testing out with Odyssey now.

Appearance wise, the tips are black vs the steel of the brass. Handy to know what you have on in case you have multiple coreir tips about. As to availability outside Japan, I’m not sure. I didn’t see them available at Jaben or Zeppelin when I was there.
How does al compare to brass?? Which one will give better resolution? which one do you prefer ?

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #86,700 of 88,370
Why does Passion for Sound keep saying the Rn6 has the fuller low-end, while everyone here says it's the Xn6. Did he get them switch around?

I haven't heard either of these myself, but I have noticed that his reviews of other IEMs are almost never in line with my own experience. Strange, because I generally find his taste in over-ear headphones and electronics aligns with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back