The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 10, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #86,041 of 88,271
I actually agree with you on at home use. RU6 from my laptop sounds better than my A1M2 with the same YouTube music. I may need to experiment more on cellphone on the road use case more.
Keep in mind there are issues with traveling with a dongle, too. I don't get interference from the phone per se but there is ambient noise to deal with, especially on a plane, and even in the car where the thrum of the engine/tires on the road can blot out upper bass and lower mids if you don't have a really good seal (not that I condone driving with IEMs in hahaha). But I have an electric car and with the RU7 and my Monachaas with size L Tri Clarion tips, I am lost in musicland completely. I use a longish USB cable as well, so the dongle remains on the passenger seat or the cup holder and I can access the phone without having to lift the whole dongle up.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #86,043 of 88,271
I was riding indoors bike at home two days ago, and I used AirPods Pro while watching apple movies on my iPad pro. The SQ is pretty good. The convenience is way outweighing than any SQ improvement I might got using IEM. At certain point, I may just take another pill (@HiFiHawaii808's metaphor of taking red or blue pill to become audiophile or not), and happily live with AirPods.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #86,044 of 88,271
Are dongles plug & play or do you have to do a lot of techy things to make them work? :unamused::v:
Plug and play, although some have software you can use to tweak them. RU7 is totally plug and play. DC-Elite software is minimal and only works with Android phones and I have an iPhone, so plug and play there for me too.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #86,045 of 88,271
The convenience is way outweighing than any SQ improvement I might got using IEM. At certain point, I may just take another pill (@HiFiHawaii808's metaphor of taking red or blue pill to become audiophile or not), and happily live with AirPods.

giphy.gif

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #86,046 of 88,271
I was riding indoors bike at home two days ago, and I used AirPods Pro while watching apple movies on my iPad pro. The SQ is pretty good. The convenience is way outweighing than any SQ improvement I might got using IEM. At certain point, I may just take another pill (@HiFiHawaii808's metaphor of taking red or blue pill to become audiophile or not), and happily live with AirPods.
I hear you but I have rigged the Ru7 out of my iPad and use Cascara with Timestream cable while working out. Cable is super lightweight and doesn't get in the way on a stationary bike, at least for me.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #86,047 of 88,271
A famous philosopher once said “ having Guano in your ears, doesn’t give you bat 🦇 ears”. I’m still waiting for proof of MASSIVE sound differences between two well designed and competently manufactured audio cables; IEM, hookup, speaker et all…. No offense to anyone, I can change my view. Yes, there’s stuff we miss in measurements. We’re not talking a crap cable compared to a well executed one. 👍

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #86,049 of 88,271
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #86,050 of 88,271
I think your account might be hacked! :xf_cool:

drftr
Well I was mostly chilling' on this website for years and years with no issues really - and rarely came into the watercooler, but I did a few months back, and apparently I dared post a short couple sentence critique of the $8.5k UM IEM's that mentioned nobody in the thread it was purely my own observation about a specific product and price point only. Then I got attacked for it - literally being associated with mental illness. And I did respond back and didn't take it lying down. While I got multiple PM's saying don't mind those guys, their is this kind of boys club of some jerks that think they run that thread, nobody stood up for me in the actual thread. So yes, I've gotten more feisty since and maybe had a chip on my shoulder and regret a few things I've said. I've stepped out of line a few times but there are a few core members here who seem to do the same with impunity. But I'm working on it.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #86,051 of 88,271
Ha. Indeed one has to measure benefits and negatives and make compromises on things for certain things, one of those is convenience.

But definitely don't just happily live with AirPods, that WOULD be unhealthy :wink:

Although I know you are joking.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #86,052 of 88,271
Well I was mostly chilling' on this website for years and years with no issues really - and rarely came into the watercooler, but I did a few months back, and apparently I dared post a short couple sentence critique of the $8.5k UM IEM's that mentioned nobody in the thread it was purely my own observation about a specific product and price point only. Then I got attacked for it - literally being associated with mental illness. And I did respond back and didn't take it lying down. While I got multiple PM's saying don't mind those guys, their is this kind of boys club of some jerks that think they run that thread, nobody stood up for me in the actual thread. So yes, I've gotten more feisty since and maybe had a chip on my shoulder and regret a few things I've said. I've stepped out of line a few times but there are a few core members here who seem to do the same with impunity. But I'm working on it.
Feisty 😼

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #86,053 of 88,271
Well, I will say, sort of combining the two sentiments here, that the RU7 and the DC-Elite, fed from my computer using Roon and HQPlayer upsampling, sound better than my N7 and my RS8 alone. I am not trying to stir the pot but that is my experience. I am also not willing to say that the dongles through my phone sound better than those DAPs. Just that I have achieved a synergy between computer software, cable and dongle that has rendered DAPs at home for me useless. I am also very much enjoying only having the small, lightweight RU7 on the road with and still getting TOTL sound without an extra case and heavy DAP. Ramen, ramen, ramen.
Honestly, i used to think DAPs and Dongles were inferior to what i had at home and its nothing to be wowed at (schiit modi multibit).

I couldnt tell any differences between the RU7 and my desktop setup. Maybe if i really tried but if i have to do that...

Im just glad im not one who can hear drastic if any differences with a slew of components.

Even at canjam with those huge bricks. RU7 sounded just as good.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #86,054 of 88,271
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #86,055 of 88,271
Honestly, i used to think DAPs and Dongles were inferior to what i had at home and its nothing to be wowed at (schiit modi multibit).

I couldnt tell any differences between the RU7 and my desktop setup. Maybe if i really tried but if i have to do that...

Im just glad im not one who can hear drastic if any differences with a slew of components.

Even at canjam with those huge bricks. RU7 sounded just as good.
Those bricks are for full size headphones. I am really curious regarding RU7, since I thought RU7 is not that different from RU6 (from one of the YouTube review).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back