The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #86,011 of 89,506
Dongle is tricky business, in my own experience, none of the dongles work well from your smartphones. However, my RU6 really shines if connected to a PC or MacBook.
? Isn't that a weird(ish) statement? The whole (audiophile) world uses dongles exactly that way and if I'm not mistaken they were designed specifically for that use case. What didn't work for you when doing so?

drftr

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #86,012 of 89,506
? Isn't that a weird(ish) statement? The whole (audiophile) world uses dongles exactly that way and if I'm not mistaken they were designed specifically for that use case. What didn't work for you when doing so?

drftr
Yeah, good question. My RU7 and DC-Elite work perfectly from my phone - better than from my Macbook, which has trouble switching over to them for audio output sometimes...

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #86,013 of 89,506
Dongle is tricky business, in my own experience, none of the dongles work well from your smartphones. However, my RU6 really shines if connected to a PC or MacBook.
And when did you even try all of these dongles on MY phone?! 😵😋

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #86,016 of 89,506

drftr
I agree with original poster as far as not liking a dongle attached to my phone for portable use. Of course you are right that it is what they are intended for. I will take a blue tooth option for convenience.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #86,017 of 89,506
I agree with original poster as far as not liking a dongle attached to my phone for portable use. Of course you are right that it is what they are intended for. I will take a blue tooth option for convenience.
Well, his point was that none of them work well from his phone so that's what I reflected upon. I don't think the physical part was the issue.

drftr

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #86,018 of 89,506
Well, his point was that none of them work well from his phone so that's what I reflected upon. I don't think the physical part was the issue.

drftr
My guess was that it was an exaggeration to make a point that a phone often can limit the current available to the dongle, so it is not running at optimum. I have seen those discussions on the dongle threads.
Using a configuration with a battery to power the dongle is one way to provide more current.

I view this area as similar to whether a TOTL Amp connected to a DAP is better. Or a TOTL cable to an IEM. Yes, they are better, but not a Must. Every configuration has it's purpose and value. Otherwise, we would only be using headphones connected to a TOTL desktop system, and no mobile system would be acceptable.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #86,019 of 89,506
Bluetooth and dongles are surely for different purposes. It’s horses for courses , I like my Bathys for Bluetooth but prefer them on android vs Apple which then requires a dongle or dap as I’m an apple user lol.
So for me dongle dangles work.
I’ve got a CMA18 on the way as I like the fact I can use the great interface of an iPhone when I’m travelling but have great sound through a dongle esq product.

Some of the dongles I’ve heard have been great so not sure why you’d be struggling.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #86,020 of 89,506
@metaljem77!

Screen Shot 2024-04-10 at 12.06.29 PM.png

https://www.joskna.com/products/💖last-day-70-off-funny-animal-brooch

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #86,022 of 89,506
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #86,023 of 89,506
Hopefully will be able to meet some of you at Can Jam SoCal, my last CanJam was pre Covid 🙄

Same! I’m hoping to meet a bunch of the water cooler folks at So Cal, too! I went last year, but I didn’t really know many people. Hoping to make this year an even better experience!

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #86,024 of 89,506
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #86,025 of 89,506

Users who are viewing this thread

Back