The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #85,876 of 91,352
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #85,877 of 91,352
Aye, im so tired after the sg show. not super good at writing reviews but here is some short notes that I jotted down during the show.

1) Campfire Fathom - Big bass, full mids but lacking in resolution
2) UM Nuit etoilee - I won't say anything, afraid of being cancelled. It's really... not the best.
3) Craft Ears Omnium - Surprisingly good, step up from the Aurum. Bright and open.
4) Empire Ears Triton - Warm, lush. Strong lows. Heard some weird reverb on the mid highs tho.
5) Ame Gaia - so bright on the edge of being too sharp, nice female vocals, male vocals not much weight.
6) Night Jar Singularity and Duality - fun sound, good safe tuning, Nothing to fault but nothing too impressive. Duality is Singularity with better bass. With the new impedance device plugged it, it sounds way better.
7) Symphonium Titan - beautiful mid tonality, pretty nice.
8) Elysian Pilgrim - does indeed sound like the Anni but less details. Slightly thinner sound, addictive forward midhigh but a little too airy. Did they price it wrong at 400usd? lol its a steal.
9) Elysian Pilgrim Noir - Pilgrim but thicker sound. I prefer this over the normal pilgrim
10) Lime Ears Anima - Don't like the vocal presentation. Any music without vocals is perfect for this
11) Lime Ears Terra Green - Fresh sound, best of all 4 of their iems.
12) Lime Ears Terra Silver - Its the green but without the fresh sound. more balanced.
13) QDC Emperor - Musical, thick enveloping sound. Impressive Resolution. Mid highs are placed slightly further although ever slightly "shouty". Pretty enjoyable overall, liked it.
14) Fatfreq Grand Maestro - Thinner sound, not much weight. Sounds tad incoherent Not too impressive to me at least.
15) Noble Bluetooth Headphone - Supposedly 3 different types of drivers. Clean and Fast sound. Could be bassier.
16) Noble Onyx - Nice and fun sound. Enjoyable but slightly sibilant. Prefer this over the viking
17) Novus - Its good, full strong sound. The only problem is that it plays too safe. Can't decide if I prefer this over the Emperor.
18) Aura - Beautiful male vocals. Not as bassy as Novus. Will take this over the Novus. I really like this.
19) Soranik Xmems - Didn't recall mems to be this this good. My friend really liked it. But its too bright for me, not for me unfortunately.
20) Melodic Artification Alter Ego - Ok this is really good. Surprising amount of resolution and soul, sucks you into the music. Male vocals slightly odd but this stole the show for me. like who are you?? wow.

ran out of time, didn't manage to get to try storm. was looking forward to it with the huge ass cable lol

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #85,878 of 91,352
2) UM Nuit etoilee - I won't say anything, afraid of being cancelled. It's really... not the best.
LOL I thought cancel culture only applies to people who commit criminal or ethical offences.. not to those who express honest opinions

But seriously who are these UM (Unique Melody) guys? Are they really that powerful and spiteful?

I mean even Elon Must does not cancel people who review Tesla cars unfavourably 😅

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #85,879 of 91,352
We may need to make you a whole bunch of them! :smile:

Wow, that was fast! :smiley:
I call her the Queen of Watercooler! or Jemy the Ninja! she acquires things swiftly and silently. My role model!

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #85,880 of 91,352
LOL I thought cancel culture only applies to people who commit criminal or ethical offences.. not to those who express honest opinions

But seriously who are these UM (Unique Melody) guys? Are they really that powerful and spiteful?

I mean even Elon Must does not cancel people who review Tesla cars unfavourably 😅
just to be on the safe side lol

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #85,881 of 91,352
Watercooler,
A question- With a Trailli and Volur going strong for me, what third set from the following would be the most complementary and why: CA Bonneville, CA Supermoon, Madoo Typ821, Anni 23 ?

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #85,882 of 91,352
Always a good sign when I continue to regularly reach for a set after a review is completed - definitely the case with Project M, loving it with the R3 II for my morning walk and it will be a fantastic poolside choice when holidays come around in few weeks!

Listening to the excellent ‘Iradelphic’ by Clark.

IMG_2906.jpeg

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #85,883 of 91,352
For the Tidal fans out there there is a new feature: AI playlists! Powered by ChatGPT so it can do other things besides your kids term papers.
Let’s give it a whirl…

First pitch softball - “Dance songs of the 1990s”
IMG_0913.png

Besides Twice being a Kpop band probably not alive when the rest of the songs were filling the airwaves. Not bad taste I must admit.

Let’s get a little more subjective “Country Queens”

IMG_0914.png

Ummm okay Dolly is number one - what no Beyoncé?!? The Jonas Blue song is a dance song from 2017 so swing and miss there …

Let’s throw a curveball here and get specific with sub genres - “Post Punk”

IMG_0915.png

ChatGPT must like to boogie - the Fisher song is from 2023 so being a bit liberal with the post in post punk

And finally the knuckler - “Best songs about cannibalism”
IMG_0916.png

EPIC FAIL! No “Timothy” by the Buoys.?!?!?
Not even a morsel of “Petrov Yelyena and Me” by Flight of the Conchords. Not even an amuse bouche of “Maneater” -by Hall and Oates?! No Fine Young Cannibals. Not even any Pretty Decent Middle Aged Cannibals. “Land of 1000 Dances” by Cannibal and the Headhunters - they said na na na na na na na na na na na na naw na na. You got to learn how to pony, ChatGPT.

No accounting for tastes.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #85,884 of 91,352
Great post. Novus is my favorite EE so far also.
Novus is nice. I tried it out of both the SP3000, SP3000Cu and SP3000T and my favourite pairing was with the Cu.

For me, my favourite EE to date is the Triton,

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #85,885 of 91,352
I feel the same way about the u12t-- to me it sounds dry, dull and unnatural and it sucks the life & soul out of whatever it plays. And yet it is a very popular IEM. This used to be a great mystery to me until one day I just accepted that there is no one ideal way to hear and present sound and that many people hear, perceive and judge things differently.

Regarding your earlier comment on bass. I think that broadly speaking there are two modes of listening-- on the one hand you can listen for information, how much is there, now it is presented and organized etc. This might be called an "analytic" approach to listening. On the other end of the spectrum is listening for "feeling" which is less concerned with the presentation of information and more concerned with, as the name implies, the "feel" of the sound. Most people and transducers are a combination of both and fall somewhere in the middle however people who prefer DD presenations are generally more concerned with "feel" and people who gravitate towards BAs are more interested in the amount and quality of the information being presented. Of all ares of the FR bass seems to be the one where people most fixate on the "feel" hence DD bass being quite a popular thing in some quarters. Unfortunately the Annihilator is imho a poor example to use as for many of us it's not a great example of high quality DD bass. YMMV etc.

Yeah we all prefer different things and hear things differently. I am just still rather curious about why Trifecta gets so much attention considering its shortcomings. On paper its everything I would like: I listen to a lot of analog music, I rarely favour detail over emotion, I like excentric tunings. My main system is a rather coloured Western Electric tube setup and I do enjoy ZMF house sound, infact I owned evrey ZMF headphone at some point.

Trifecta sounded dull and very wonky to me, the bass was good but thats about it. I feel like something like Mentor provides a wider and deeper stage too. I am not overly analytical in my listen - sometimes I am when the recording has stuff to look for, but I can enjoy a bad recording if the music aligns with my taste. Still to me it was glaringly obvious that Trifecta falls behind in detail retrieval aspect, I cant help myself but to hear a lack of sonic information in familiar recordings. Well, maybe I am just spoiled by higher end gear. Apart of that the tuning is just a bit weird, its not a cozy blanket which I can appreciate even if there is a lack of resolution like its the case with Atrium headphones. With trifecta there are plenty of distracting treble spikes and lack of meatyness or too much meatyness where it doesnt belong (subjectivly). To my ear its a very weird IEM, I cant quite wrap my mind around.

As for the detail vs emotion. I dont think its that binary. Imho there is more to it. For example, if we take this recording by Kyuss

On a lower res Atrium it will sound meaty but rather dull wall of sound like, which one certainly still can enjoy. Though its easy to blame the quality of the recording as another rock / metal garage production. When you listen to it on something like Susvara on a mid range amp you will extract additional detail but lose the meatyness and the heavyness of the sound, whole experience might lack emotion and sound bit dead indeed. But if you run the Susvara from a powerful high end tube amp, you will get both the wide life-like airyness, loads of detail and the big meaty emotional euphonic oomph. The recording will sound much closer to a life gig experience and you will get more emotional than with the Atrium, because of the added detail and air.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #85,886 of 91,352

quite the contrary, I believe UM would value and benefit from honest feedback. just be sure to maintain respectful tone when sharing your thoughts, to avoid potential backlash from those who disagree with you.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #85,890 of 91,352
I quite enjoyed the Titan at CJ NYC! I've been wrestling with the idea of snagging a pair.

Sirens of the Sea <3
I think I did learn about that through one of your earlier posts. The Titan had a nice clean bass presentation. It all seemed "in order". I had to turn up the volume though. :L3000:

Check out the Oceanlab: Anthology, some new old tracks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back