The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 7, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #85,726 of 88,247
@drftr It just occurred to me that you can probably try to build a filter? Maybe cut some low density foam into small cylinders, and then glue those filters into the middle of your favorite tips? That way you can still use the tips that fit you best, but get some high-frequency attenuation at the same time.
Thanks for reminding me about these, they come with filters you can remove snd use on other tips, OS300 dampens the most treble.@drftr

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNFvAgQ
So you narrow the bore, is that what you're suggesting? I'm afraid I'd end up with a Final E kind of tunnel syndrome. Treble gets attenuated indeed but to these ears with the trade-off that the stage shrinks quite dramatically. Perhaps that's what @aaf evo referred to yesterday?

drftr

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #85,727 of 88,247
So you narrow the bore, is that what you're suggesting? I'm afraid I'd end up with a Final E kind of tunnel syndrome. Treble gets attenuated indeed but to these ears with the trade-off that the stage shrinks quite dramatically. Perhaps that's what @aaf evo referred to yesterday?

drftr

It'd be more like filling up the bore, but I see what you're getting at wrt trade-offs. 🙁

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #85,728 of 88,247
I was listening to Monachaa on Friday night via my desktop and certainly a set that appreciates power… they sounded absolutely incredible, especially with some of my energetic electronic library - ‘Myam James Part 1’ by Kettel is an album that blends IDM fast-paced percussion, synths, along with classical strings - Monachaa sounded vast, snappy, holographic and incredibly engaging… love the DD timbre for both electronic and strings.

IMG_2802.jpeg

IMG_2801.jpeg

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #85,729 of 88,247
Like some who have mentioned, Melodic Artification’s Alter Ego is fantastic to my ears. There’s an incredible amount of ease and finesse across the spectrum. The fp design is my absolute love, metal (titanium), with intricate etchings. V comfortable, incredibly light and the switches (2 modes) have a nice tactile heft. Melodic Artification is a new brand, working with Timsok. They are working out details to replenish supply (first batch sold out), I look forward in seeing their foray into the western market. A shoutout to @Crazeee who recommended this!
I'd like to know more about configuration, price and release date of these beauties after Eclipse 😍😍😍
What do the switches and yellow buttons on the shells make to the sound?

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #85,730 of 88,247
My current favorite tip for everything, from fit, isolation to sound quality is Nostalgia Audio's XWB tips. They are one of the few tips that sit at a sweet spot in their sizing between other companies, where their medium isn't as big as others mediums but not too much smaller where I don't get a good seal. SQ wise, they are incredibly transparent with no coloration and let the iem shine through as intended, just the right thickness on the nozzle, incredible hold (never slips, even on nozzles with no notched grip) and they don't make my ears itchy like some other silicone tips do. Highly recommend these guys.

On the topic of Nostalgia Audio, those who know me know I'm a giant fan of the Tesseract and spent half my CanJam attendance at NYC trying to get fellow WCer's to listen to it :laughing:. I recently got a demo of the Camelot and also instantly fell in love with it, and luckily unlike the Tesseract, the Camelot can be a CIEM, so guess which guy has THREE CIEMs currently in the works 🫣.

Nothing but praise for the Camelot really, incredibly transparent and uncolored, absolutely fantastic with neutral sources for just being accurate and great timbre with a nice wide/deep and relatively tall soundstage and great resolution. The bass is fast, tight without being overly in your face or punchy, one of the best DD bass out there, mids are neutrally placed, never recessed or too far forward with a nice airy but cohesive and detailed sound while the treble is decently well extended but not over present or piercing to those who may be sensitive. I'd say the only place this set lags behind some of my others in overall technicality is it's imaging, while still great for it's price range, it's no Indigo or Viking. Highly recommend to anyone who just wants a very neutral, accurate and easy listening set, the UIEM (while large, but not as big as Tesseract) is one of the most comfortable UIEMs I've owned, Nostalgia certainly knows how to make a shell AND eartips now.

I’m always pleased to read more praise for Camelot, such a wonderful set.

IMG_2445.jpeg

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #85,731 of 88,247

drftr
You should definitely give the AET07 a try. You find it cheap too.

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #85,732 of 88,247
Changed it up a little today with Monachaa, in many ways polar opposite of Trifecta, and certainly ways in which they're similar at least when talking drivers. The DDs are so far, my favorite drivers in iems.

1000019301.jpg

Why don’t you use the longer 4.4 IC cable that came with the PB5? My OCD kicks in very hard on this picture 🫣 🥴😆

Will get this next year the Mjolnir + wireless transmitter. Too busy enjoying my nightstand IEM setup this year.

Can this transmitter only be used with the Mjölnir? I was hoping for a workaround for the inferior Apple bluetooth stack so you can stream high-res from iPhone to any capable BT receiver. No?

Just add the PB5 to the Sony and you're golden 😁

💯 Never heard the Sony but I think the PB5 turns everything into golden 👍

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #85,736 of 88,247
I'd like to know more about configuration, price and release date of these beauties after Eclipse 😍😍😍
What do the switches and yellow buttons on the shells make to the sound?
Price is approx 2400 USD. Pardon me, but my head feels heavy from the intensity of the activities spanning across the last couple of days. One switch has lighter bass quantity, but I vaguely recall that the vocals on both switches are engaging. I preferred the switch with the elevated bass shelf, which did not narrow the soundstage. The yellow / golden knob-like things are just part of the design.
It struck me more during this CanJam that notwithstanding the smorgasbord of iems with varying technicalities, it’s not always the one which has the most impressive technicalities that tug my heartstrings.
I made new friends and deepened existing friendships. As I end this CanJam and try to get back to humdrum normality, I dedicate this post to Kiats and Steve ~ I miss you both dearly and hope to see you again soon

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #85,738 of 88,247
They didn't improve attenuation compared to Spinfit 145, which was my main goal.

drftr
@drftr my friend, if you don’t mind me giving you an advice, I would recommend to stop trying attenuate one particular IEM given that regular proven tools are not working.
Of course, you can go all-in, changing cable to a classical copper and switching source to a darker one on top, but I’m afraid that this would take away something like what happened during your EQ experiments.
If something is meant to be that bright than let it be.

TLDR: just buy Ronin, you don’t need that bass to be DD to enjoy the music 😂

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #85,739 of 88,247
Like some who have mentioned, Melodic Artification’s Alter Ego is fantastic to my ears. There’s an incredible amount of ease and finesse across the spectrum. The fp design is my absolute love, metal (titanium), with intricate etchings. V comfortable, incredibly light and the switches (2 modes) have a nice tactile heft. Melodic Artification is a new brand, working with Timsok. They are working out details to replenish supply (first batch sold out), I look forward in seeing their foray into the western market. A shoutout to @Crazeee who recommended this!

Was there any mentioning about the price? Both, Melodic Artification (Eclipse) and Timsok (TS-316) had fantastic budget releases. So, I'm wondering if this one follows the same footsteps.

... nevermind, just saw your reply above, $2400

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back