The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 2, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #85,322 of 88,573
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #85,323 of 88,573
Concerning Diamonds...
Screenshot_20240402_230018_Qobuz.jpg
Screenshot_20240402_232648_Qobuz.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #85,324 of 88,573
Apr 2, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #85,325 of 88,573
Really love hearing everyone's feelings about Monachaa, an iem I demoed on the Watercooler tour, and rather promptly thereafter, bought my own. So yeah, I obviously like it very much.

Couple of things I've noticed about it, which have been mentioned by others as well...

It takes a solid 200 hours of burn in, this is pretty imperative. It takes a lot of power, good power, to drive. This takes my DAPs to high gain, so I doubt cheap dongles will make a happy listener. It's highly tip dependent and has a particularly short nozzle; my preference here has become Coreir brass tips which work well on short nozzles and usually do nice things to the SQ and stage (I've also used the Penon black liqueur tips to great effect). Finally, nice as the included PWA cable is, Monachaa needs better. I've had great experiences with PWA FT, EA Code 23 and 24 (would like to try 24c on it, the colors should be great), and Penon Renata.

When dialed in, you understand why Oriolus has such a good reputation for tuning. This one is outstanding! Deep, sub bass, with thick mids, vocals a little forward evoking a V to U shape, treble to rival Anni 23, and a soundstage to die for.

IMHO, a contender for best at $2k or under (and certainly better than many $3k+ plus sets I've heard!). If course, YMMV, etc., just my opinion!

1000018187.jpg
I’m definitely interested, but I have seen the same cable upgrade concerns in every review I’ve read of the Monachha. What is it about the supplied cable that is insufficient and what are the best options under $500 for upgrading? (As much as I have personally experienced the benefits of cable rolling, I will no longer spend more than $500 on a cable upgrade for a $2000 - $3000 IEM).

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #85,326 of 88,573
Everyone laughed at the price tag, how times have changed.
Honestly if someone told me 10 years ago that ibasso would still be around in 2024, I'd be shocked. Now we are paying double the A&K price tag for chifi. Unthinkable.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #85,327 of 88,573
Sorry to hear that, hope you will get it soon.
I'll own up to it and say that I knew I'd be out of town today way ahead of time and refused to pay UPS another 2 bucks to reschedule anyways.

Figured it go to a hub/access point. Nope, they just rescheduled for tomorrow and said it couldn't be dropped off at an access point for whatever reason.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #85,328 of 88,573

Not the best but pretty pretty good

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #85,329 of 88,573
Seen a few April's fool jokes on the fb audio community it reminded me of the ak480 joke.

How times have changed and once a joke became a new norm.

5867894.png

Everyone laughed at the price tag, how times have changed.

lol, I was surprised that A&K gave me permission to do that one. The funniest part of that joke wasn't even known to the public: A&K got phone calls throughout the day from people wanting to buy it (or at least enter the lottery). 🤣

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #85,330 of 88,573
How does it sounds?
Haven't had extensive time with them but the voice gimmicks are fun and it's nice dynamic driver bass. I don't love planar treble, and there's still some of that here. They sound better than a lot of other tws iems I've heard. But for the world's first 5 driver tws iems, they're also massive. The comply tips they included are a necessity. Without them they fall out of my ears. The kickstarter price was worth it to me and I really like the cherry red aesthetic, but I wouldn't have paid more than that for them given the competition and options. I'll mostly be using them for phone calls and the occasional netflix stream.

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #85,331 of 88,573
lol, I was surprised that A&K gave me permission to do that one. The funniest part of that joke wasn't even known to the public: A&K got phone calls throughout the day from people wanting to buy it (or at least enter the lottery). 🤣
So it was you who got them thinking " so people willing to pay such prices?!"

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #85,332 of 88,573
Apr 2, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #85,333 of 88,573
That's what Joop does, he makes days.

... That is until he gets to 'reviewing' and, in his style, mentions nothing but negatives of everyone's favourite sets. Then, he doesn't make days.

That's what Joop does, he makes days.

... That is until he gets to 'reviewing' and, in his style, mentions nothing but negatives of everyone's favourite sets. Then, he doesn't make days.
Joop and Thanos: Perfectly balanced. As all things should be.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #85,334 of 88,573
Really love hearing everyone's feelings about Monachaa, an iem I demoed on the Watercooler tour, and rather promptly thereafter, bought my own. So yeah, I obviously like it very much.

Couple of things I've noticed about it, which have been mentioned by others as well...

It takes a solid 200 hours of burn in, this is pretty imperative. It takes a lot of power, good power, to drive. This takes my DAPs to high gain, so I doubt cheap dongles will make a happy listener. It's highly tip dependent and has a particularly short nozzle; my preference here has become Coreir brass tips which work well on short nozzles and usually do nice things to the SQ and stage (I've also used the Penon black liqueur tips to great effect). Finally, nice as the included PWA cable is, Monachaa needs better. I've had great experiences with PWA FT, EA Code 23 and 24 (would like to try 24c on it, the colors should be great), and Penon Renata.

When dialed in, you understand why Oriolus has such a good reputation for tuning. This one is outstanding! Deep, sub bass, with thick mids, vocals a little forward evoking a V to U shape, treble to rival Anni 23, and a soundstage to die for.

IMHO, a contender for best at $2k or under (and certainly better than many $3k+ plus sets I've heard!). If course, YMMV, etc., just my opinion!

1000018187.jpg
Appreciated. What cable is it? Pretty pairing. Is it on the same level as the Trifecta?

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #85,335 of 88,573

Users who are viewing this thread

Back