The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 30, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #84,976 of 88,294
Thank you for the nice impressions.

ONYX sounds like it could have a good synergy with Orpheus shielding cable.

Regarding the Volur, are you going for a little more bass compared to U18t? I recall that you have/had U18t/A18t. If so, please see if you can get your hands on Lavricables Grand silver cable. It brings a nice boost to A18t with m15 module and the resolution is top notch and treble has the full extension without brightness/fatigue. I hear a slightly more coloration in the lows than I would prefer (minor annoyance) but the rest of the spectrum is clear and awesome. Very nice cable to fine tune the sound of U18t.
You have a good memory, my friend. I did sell U18t however because I wanted slightly fuller and warmer sounding mids plus quite a bit more bass. It was too much for a combination of a warmer DAP and copper cable to make up for, and for that reason I moved to Noble Sultan. Sultan brought bass and warm mids in spades but since I'm still fine tuning my next set will have slightly less bass (but as organic and DD), slightly less lower treble (and most likely BA), and better technicalities. Not sure yet what that would be as I haven't found it yet; most likely because it doesn't exist yet. But I'm patient, and when I started on the Watercooler I always whined there were no IEMs with full, warm, and bodied mids, and less than a year later that was all the rage. So I'll get there in the end. I guess??? 🤔

drftr

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #84,977 of 88,294
Heya Watercooler Peeps! I stayed away for a bit as I was gathering fund to buy a new DAP. Had my eyes on the N30LE originally, but a surprise and very good resell deal came through with the iBasso DX320 Max for me instead.

And I have to say... this DAP is absolutely blowing my mind.

I have been putting through its pace and listening to it with my Phonix for the evening. I was originally thinking of selling my Phonix, but this DAP is making me second guess myself. I am in love with the Phonix again.

PXL_20240330_133843788.MP2.jpg

I am now trying my Trifecta with it... and just... wow.

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #84,978 of 88,294
Heya Watercooler Peeps! I stayed away for a bit as I was gathering fund to buy a new DAP. Had my eyes on the N30LE originally, but a surprise and very good resell deal came through with the iBasso DX320 Max for me instead.

And I have to say... this DAP is absolutely blowing my mind.

I have been putting through its pace and listening to it with my Phonix for the evening. I was originally thinking of selling my Phonix, but this DAP is making me second guess myself. I am in love with the Phonix again.

I am now trying my Trifecta with it... and just... wow.
Phoenix and trifecta are such a good duo to have and that DAP is insane 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #84,979 of 88,294
I would like to recommend this one to you. Tasteful Polish prog rock band.

1000012666.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #84,981 of 88,294
He said he was insane, so I figured he could take a little friendly ribbing, since he admits straight up it's crazy. Otherwise, mouth sealed.
No worries. It's all fair game once it's out here in the interweb. I can take a little ribbing :)

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #84,982 of 88,294
IMPRESSIONS ROTTERDAM

Today I started hunting down great head-fi gear dealers in the Netherlands after being spoiled in (South) Eastern Asia in the past few years. First stop was Sound Kitchen in Rotterdam who, as luck would have it, just started selling Noble IEMs - so fresh it's not even on their website. More about that later as I started with an in-depth demo of Volür. If I recall correctly Sound Kitchen was the first shop introducing the concept of combining top notch head-fi gear with specialty coffees about 7 years ago.

1000346817.jpg

64 AUDIO VOLÜR
Second listen after @MatW introduced them to me last weekend at our Watercooler Europe Meetup. My impressions over just 3 half songs mimic my 1.5 hr in-depth demo exactly, except that I now listened using mX and m12 modules. As always I would have loved a module right in between these and for that reason it doesn't exist... :wink: Where I find mX makes it sound like U18t with bass but without the resolution, treble quality, and imaging, m12 makes it sound slightly too thick in the bass plus that it seems to suck the last bit of airiness out of it and makes the mids a bit veiled and 2 dimensional. I'm debating trying to lay my hands on Chiron to see if I can open up the stage, make it a bit tighter in the low end, a bit more dynamic, and improve treble quality. I'm slightly worried the resolution and tonal beauty is simply not there, so I'm mentally preparing myself for a longer wait than hoped for.

NOBLE AUDIO ONYX
Really missed this one at our meetup being a recent Noble fanboy, and for good reasons: Onyx has exactly the right quality, tonality, and timbre for my bass and mids, great imaging, dynamics, PRaT, anything really, but it is BRIGHT!!! Even after Sultan I can't handle this and that's really an extreme pity. If only this was Ronin with DD bass timbre or simply Onyx with Ronin treble it would have been an instant buy. But using PAW6000 and August Fun (1960s 2-wire) I'm already on the very polite side of the spectrum so I won't be able to turn down the treble without cutting off my ears. What a pity... :frowning2:

1000346820.jpg

Anyway, it was nice to find some serious gear like Acoustune and Earsonics (some of which they have heavily cut prices for so let me know if that's up your sleeve). I also spotted M30 and Mjölnir, but that's for another time.

Next round, Delft or Amsterdam.

1000346824.jpg
1000346823.jpg
1000346822.jpg

drftr
You're living the life I would dream of seeing ever part of the world and nothing to hold you back.

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #84,983 of 88,294
You're living the life I would dream of seeing ever part of the world and nothing to hold you back.
I called it quits in November though after 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days on the road. Time to raise some hard cash, then throw it at the first hobby that comes up in my mind 😜

drftr

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #84,984 of 88,294
"As always I would have loved a module right in between these and for that reason it doesn't exist... :wink:" @drftr

The hunt can never ever stop. What else would there be to do after enjoying the moment? :) I doubt a M11,42 module would fix the problem in the end...😁

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #84,985 of 88,294
"As always I would have loved a module right in between these and for that reason it doesn't exist... :wink:" @drftr

The hunt can never ever stop. What else would there be to do after enjoying the moment? :) I doubt a M11,42 module would fix the problem in the end...😁
Enjoying the moment??? Crazy talk...

drftr

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #84,989 of 88,294
I called it quits in November though after 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days on the road. Time to raise some hard cash, then throw it at the first hobby that comes up in my mind 😜

drftr
Not many professions from which you can save enough for a 10 year hiatus, software/IT is one of them, until AI take over everything in the not far away future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back