The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #84,421 of 87,761
What a marvellous first day of the Amsterdam Watercooler Meeting! So lovely to meet all these headfiers in person, sharing a common (and crazy) passion, listening to gear and having nice conversations. A few pictures below of the event so far. We have another half day to look forward to!

Group1.png

Group2.png

2024-03-23 14.35.57.jpg

2024-03-23 16.33.10.jpg
2024-03-23 19.36.00.jpg

2024-03-23 19.51.53.jpg
Lovely - wished I were with you... 😃 Keep going folks and even more pics please...

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #84,422 of 87,761
I mentioned that is a great experience, but would that set beat my utopia on a totl tube amp? not at all.

If you find my post deceptive then 99% of members are guilty of the same charge

There is no harm I praise something and at the same time selling it

For me I prefer to invest in a top of the line tube amp and better dac for my utopia, yes I have the holo bliss, but utopia syncs better with tube amps

As for portable set ups, I feel I can accept down grading while upgrading my desk top rig
yes you are selling both

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #84,423 of 87,761
yes you are selling both
yes i am selling everything I have and just keeping my utopia to be paired with a totl tube amp and dac

as for portable gear a dongle and a good iem sub 1k usd will do the job for me

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #84,424 of 87,761
Thanks to everyone who organised the event and was there yesterday. One of the best HiFi meet-ups I took part in and so much better than audio fairs due to the overall silence and much more informal vibe. Lots of great conversations and beautiful people to meet. The opportunity to listen and compare all the gear was priceless. Will make a write up, later down the road.

Hope we repeat it next year!

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #84,425 of 87,761
This is a very interesting review and youre right, the XL looks absolutely massive lol. Ill probably try out the black ones, thanks a lot.
Can confirm the XL are big bois! I usually need the largest size tips for a good seal but they are even too big for me.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #84,426 of 87,761
What a marvellous first day of the Amsterdam Watercooler Meeting! So lovely to meet all these headfiers in person, sharing a common (and crazy) passion, listening to gear and having nice conversations. A few pictures below of the event so far. We have another half day to look forward to!

Group1.png
Would be great if the names of the wonderful people here are tagged so we can get to know you all :)

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #84,428 of 87,761

Group1.png

Group2.png

2024-03-23 14.35.57.jpg

2024-03-23 16.33.10.jpg
2024-03-23 19.36.00.jpg

2024-03-23 19.51.53.jpg
What an inspiring meet up. Congrats to all of you. These photos are priceless. Looking forward to hearing impressions of gear and of experience!

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #84,429 of 87,761
Here is my little write-up of the Amster-Jam.

What stood out the most, gear-wise:

Fei Wan
7C200863.jpg
Taking the chance to hear this was high on my priority list. John made it possible - thanks again!
Style-check
I'm surprising myself, they are 10/10 for me. What a stunning look. I don't typically care much about the design since I don't see them when I wear them. But in this case, I really enjoyed looking at them.

Sound-check
As always - this is TME (to my ears).
Mighty, overall! Bold bass department. Massive sub, even bolder mid-bass. Round, controlled and textured. Mids: Forward, textured, dynamic. Treble: Energetic, detailed, with my critical zingy track: on the edge. For other critical treble tracks: In alert mode - but still good. Stage: Wide x-axis, wide y-axis, no 3D but I did not miss that for a single moment either. Very high detail and good seperation. The secret sauce for me was in the powerful mid-dynamics (for the lack of a better description).
For the last weeks I almost exclusively listened to the Raven - and I very much enjoyed it. Fei Wan is on par! At least. The same level of greatness and enjoyment. It very much fits my electronic and Miami Bass libraries and probably much more genres too. Since I see a large overlap with Raven, I'm not considering buying Fei Wan. For now. 😄

P6 Pro Ti
7C200873.jpg

This was the other top priority I had. Thanks for making it happen, Alessandro!

I can keep this short. It took a bit of time and the cosy couch, some meters away from the Dutch head-fi epicentre in order to focus on this A/B test. After 2 tracks I was able to pinpoint where I hear the difference. It's in the mids. The Ti is a tiny bit pulled back which added some "elegance" for me. This might have led to my interpretation of even one little little tiny bit more roundness of the R2R-esque liquid treble. I can understand why the description focussed on voice and timbre when it was released. Everything else, including the insane and impulsive dynamic range is there.
Listening to it was bittersweet and I found myself (virtually) scratching my head, how I'm not adult enough to be immune against this minimally hearable and impossible for me to quantify difference. That's probably what drives some / many of us, I guess... What will happen from here - I honestly have no idea for now. 😊
To sum up matters: Mighty Alessandro asked me to complete my testing by listening to his LP6 Ti 99 too - the implementation was different and even more analogue (and I mean, how is that even possible?) but the perfect form factor of the P6 pro series makes the LP a no go for me. My P6 has seen 3 continents and an LP would never leave Zurich since I would not want to put in a pocket of my trousers ...

Up to the last point: What stood out besides the gear has been mentioned by other posters a lot and here is my version. The vibes of such a meeting can not be described but must be experienced - my apologies if this sounds too cheasy for you. Reading / writing on a good forum is one thing but being able to dive deeper when in a face to face discussion, to me lifts everything to a whole new level. Talking gear is great and I love(d) it. Being able to talk about other things is priceless and this bears the potential of creating friendships (big word for me). And with that, here is my personal summary - my apologies to the less than a handful of people I was unable to speak. Next time!

7C200882.jpg

In no particular order:
@DutchKarma Thanks for sharing the insights in the Dutch Football league - and Bangkok architecture! @armstrj2 Thanks for supporting my aspiration to drink less beer by making me switch over to Cidre! Cheers! @Junmoe62 Thanks for reminding me of the fact that I can always buy a single DD IEM for 8K! @Alpexis Thanks for reminding me of the fact that I can always buy a simple power cable for 8K! @Alexzander Thanks for being such an easy guy to chat with! @Leto Dal Thanks for taking explodingravenconcerns seriously! @Oschi Thanks for reminding me how close Der Ruhrpott is to Amsterdam! @lafeuill Thanks for explaining to me that a vitamine B9 deficiency can have impact on memory. Or was it B8? C9? @LFC_SL Thanks for planting the seed in my brain that hypothetically I could state the real costs of gear to my spouse! @julioiglesias Thanks for the Voldemort moment when you dared to say the name. MQA! @F700 Thanks for letting me send some regards to your wife over the phone - in my bad French language! @NYanakiev Thanks for sharing the cab and touching on many topics. I will find a way to transfer to you the 7€! @hAbIrAbI Thanks for being kind enough for not judging me for drinking Weissbier! @MSwiss Thanks for reminding me of Hulks, Pepsis and Batmen - and how to properly talk to Brits, mate! @slumberman Thanks for being the living definition of modesty - you are a legend, Sir! @oliveradr Thanks for reminding me of the power of ratings and the quick mental journey back to Frankfurt.
And then, a special thank you @drftr for making this happen, for all the extra miles you went for and for knowing that your offers for support are no lip service but the real deal. And another special thank you @MatW for the organisation, for all the efforts, for being a really nice guy and for making me remember Rotterdam Termination Source and how uncatchably advanced the Western Dutch Gabbers were style-wise, in the 90s.

The final two specials go out to Stefan from Headphone Auditions for being such a great host - this was one hell of a burger!
20240323_130242.jpg

And finally thank you KLM for cancelling my return flight, referring to the fairy tale of weather conditions and making me having to rebook myself in order to be on the first flight out to Zurich, this morning, 07:00, making it impossible to attend the second meeting. You did a great job in assuring that I will never fly KLM again. In this case: SWISS 10 points, KLM 0 points.

20240324_072816.jpg

Thanks everybody - over in person in Amsterdam, or here, in the forum, for making this happen! ✌

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #84,430 of 87,761
great that you got to listen to the P6P Ti and the LP6. You can look forward to the LP7 when it is finally ready for release. :)

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #84,431 of 87,761
By popular request, the headfi names to the faces:

1711291980962.png

And all of a sudden, the event is over and all is quiet...

2024-03-24 13.50.20.jpg

It was such a great opportunity to meet all these nice people. Truly heartwarming to see people sharing their passion and getting along that well, almost all of them meeting for the first time in real life. Also on behalf of @drftr, thanks to all of you for taking the time and effort to come over to Amsterdam and make this event a success!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #84,432 of 87,761
Here is my little write-up of the Amster-Jam.

What stood out the most, gear-wise:

Fei Wan
7C200863.jpgTaking the chance to hear this was high on my priority list. John made it possible - thanks again!
Style-check
I'm surprising myself, they are 10/10 for me. What a stunning look. I don't typically care much about the design since I don't see them when I wear them. But in this case, I really enjoyed looking at them.

Sound-check
As always - this is TME (to my ears).
Mighty, overall! Bold bass department. Massive sub, even bolder mid-bass. Round, controlled and textured. Mids: Forward, textured, dynamic. Treble: Energetic, detailed, with my critical zingy track: on the edge. For other critical treble tracks: In alert mode - but still good. Stage: Wide x-axis, wide y-axis, no 3D but I did not miss that for a single moment either. Very high detail and good seperation. The secret sauce for me was in the powerful mid-dynamics (for the lack of a better description).
For the last weeks I almost exclusively listened to the Raven - and I very much enjoyed it. Fei Wan is on par! At least. The same level of greatness and enjoyment. It very much fits my electronic and Miami Bass libraries and probably much more genres too. Since I see a large overlap with Raven, I'm not considering buying Fei Wan. For now. 😄

P6 Pro Ti
7C200873.jpg
This was the other top priority I had. Thanks for making it happen, Alessandro!

I can keep this short. It took a bit of time and the cosy couch, some meters away from the Dutch head-fi epicentre in order to focus on this A/B test. After 2 tracks I was able to pinpoint where I hear the difference. It's in the mids. The Ti is a tiny bit pulled back which added some "elegance" for me. This might have led to my interpretation of even one little little tiny bit more roundness of the R2R-esque liquid treble. I can understand why the description focussed on voice and timbre when it was released. Everything else, including the insane and impulsive dynamic range is there.
Listening to it was bittersweet and I found myslef (virtually) scratching my head, how I'm not adult enough to be immune against this minimally hearable and impossible for me to quantify difference. That's probably what drives some / many of us, I guess... What will happen from here - I honestly have no idea for now. 😊
To sum up matters: Mighty Alessandro asked me to complete my testing by listening to his LP7 Ti too - the implementation was different and even more analogue (and I mean, how is that even possible?) but the perfect form factor of the P6 pro series makes the LP a no go for me. My P6 has seen 3 continents and an LP would never leave Zurich since I would not want to put in a pocket of my trouser ...

Up to the last point: What stood out besides the gear has been mentioned by other posters a lot and here is my version. The vibes of such a meeting can not be described but must be experienced - my apologies if this sounds too cheasy for you. Reading / writing on a good forum is one thing but being able to dive deeper when in a face to face discussion, to me lifts everything to a whole new level. Talking gear is great and I love(d) it. Being able to talk about other things is priceless and this bears the potential of creating friendships (big word for me). And with that, here is my personal summary - my apologies to the less than a handful of people I was unable to speak. Next time!

7C200882.jpg

In no particular order:
@DutchKarma Thanks for sharing the insights in the Dutch Football league - and Bangkok architecture! @armstrj2 Thanks for supporting my aspiration to drink less beer by making me switch over to Cidre! Cheers! @Junmoe62 Thanks for reminding me of the fact that I can always buy a single DD IEM for 8K! @Alpexis Thanks for reminding me of the fact that I can always buy a simple power cable for 8K! @Alexzander Thanks for being such an easy guy to chat to! @Leto Dal Thanks for taking explodingravenconcerns seriously! @Oschi Thanks for reminding me how close Der Ruhrpott is to Amsterdam! @lafeuill Thanks for explaining to me that a vitamine B9 deficiency can have impact on memory. Or was it B8? C9? @LFC_SL Thanks for planting the seed in my brain that hypothetically I could state the real costs of gear to my spouse! @julioiglesias Thanks for the Voldemort moment when you dared to say the name. MQA! @F700 Thanks for letting me send some regards to your wife over the phone - in my bad French language! @NYanakiev Thanks for sharing the cab and touching on many topics. I will find a way to transfer to you the 7€! @hAbIrAbI Thanks for being kind enough for not judging me for drinking Weissbier! @MSwiss Thanks for reminding me of Hulks, Pepsis and Batmen - and how to properly talk to Brits, mate! @slumberman Thanks for being the living definition of modesty - you are a legend, Sir! @oliveradr Thanks for reminding me of the power of ratings and the quick mental journey back to Frankfurt.
And then, a special thank you @drftr for making this happen, for all the extra miles you went for and for knowing that your offers for support are no lip service but the real deal. And another special thank you @MatW for the organisation, for all the efforts, for being a really nice guy and for making me remember Rotterdam Termination Source and how uncatchably advanced the Western Dutch Gabbers were style-wise, in the 90s.

The final two specials go out to Stefan from Headphone Auditions for being such a great host - this was one hell of a burger!
20240323_130242.jpg

And finally thank you KLM for cancelling my return flight, referring to the fairy tale of weather conditions and making me having to rebook myself in order to be on the first flight out to Zurich, this morning, 07:00, making it impossible to attend the second meeting. You did a great job in assuring that I will never fly KLM again. In this case: SWISS 10 points, KLM 0 points.

20240324_072816.jpg

Thanks everybody - over in person in Amsterdam, or here, in the forum, for making this happen! ✌
Totally incredible write-up, my friend, drenched in love.

Also just to let you know I will do my next organizing project at this 3 letter embarrassment. At least now you understand why I avoided the Netherlands for 11 years. Can't wait to leave - preferably with my new love...

Tnx for joining and for putting 2 days of energy in just 1.

drftr

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #84,433 of 87,761
Interesting detail is that some at our meetup were the physical link between 2 of the most successful group threads on Head-fi by connecting @flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout with the Watercooler, as Nic himself managed to join in himself today for a few hours. Much appreciated, especially as he all but left the hobby. Many of you here were regulars on Nic's thread before the Watercooler even existed and are now spreading the word on Jeff's. So kudos to Nic to get all of this started and to Jeff to continue all the good work. Amen.

drftr

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #84,434 of 87,761
Interesting detail is that some at our meetup were the physical link between 2 of the most successful group threads on Head-fi by connecting @flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout with the Watercooler, as Nic himself managed to join in himself today for a few hours. Much appreciated, especially as he all but left the hobby. Many of you here were regulars on Nic's thread before the Watercooler even existed and are now spreading the word on Jeff's. So kudos to Nic to get all of this started and to Jeff to continue all the good work. Amen.

drftr
I'm can already see a day when the first annual Watercooler World event is held in Cape Town, South Africa, uniting all the different regional coolers in the world's most beautiful (and affordable) travel destination. ♥️

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #84,435 of 87,761
I'm can already see a day when the first annual Watercooler World event is held in Cape Town, South Africa, uniting all the different regional coolers in the world's most beautiful (and affordable) travel destination. ♥️
I can already envision the tables and stands lined up at the Tafelberg!

Nice to see your name pop up right after I managed to demo Z1R for the very first time! Now I can rest in peace.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back