The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 16, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #83,881 of 88,545
That said, I think I seem to enjoy brighter sounds these days than before.
So a bright future for you it is... 🥰

I have the impression that the upper-mids/(low-)treble area is the area that is most problematic to tune. It seems to be THE dealbreaker for most of us. I wonder why at least experienced manufacturers can't manage this. Or do they not want to understand it?
Because contrary to you they understand that not everybody hears the same, wants the same, and that there's a market for more than The One IEM that is perfect for you. In fact, they realize it's the absolute opposite of what you suggest and they make wads of money because of it. You're exactly as critical as I am myself, and for that reason and our individual roles in this community I think we should focus more on what we appreciate in gear than on what we dislike in it. Unless we want to end up with a community of 1 of course... :wink:

drftr

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #83,882 of 88,545
So a bright future for you it is... 🥰

Because contrary to you they understand that not everybody hears the same, wants the same, and that there's a market for more than The One IEM that is perfect for you. In fact, they realize it's the absolute opposite of what you suggest and they make wads of money because of it. You're exactly as critical as I am myself, and for that reason and our individual roles in this community I think we should focus more on what we appreciate in gear than on what we dislike in it. Unless we want to end up with a community of 1 of course... :wink:

drftr
Well, but the upper mids / treble seems to be a general problem - at least as I have observed here in the Watercooler. If I'm not mistaken, it's actually the number 1 dealbreaker. There was once a pool about it. My comment was not directly related to me, but I am certainly one of them.

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #83,883 of 88,545
Well, but the upper mids / treble seems to be a general problem - at least as I have observed here in the Watercooler. If I'm not mistaken, it's actually the number 1 dealbreaker. There was once a pool about it. My comment was not directly related to me, but I am certainly one of them.
Very few IEMs have been loved more than Odin though. And with many responding to this remark that they don't find this a problem at all exactly proves the point I tried to make.

drftr

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #83,884 of 88,545
Very few IEMs have been loved more than Odin though. And with many responding to this remark that they don't find this a problem at all exactly proves the point I tried to make.

drftr
Very good point, and this certainly also applies to the Z1R, which I personally just couldn't hear because of the treble, which is really outside my limit range.

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #83,885 of 88,545

drftr
Many people take it personal when one points out a dislike in a gear, most often owned by the offended (offendee? :) ) when it's just an exchange of taste. Many times I've heard the Hero or the KK described as too bright, but I like them themselves. Or I'm immune to treble. But I do hate the buzzing my coffee machine makes while idle :/

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #83,886 of 88,545
Many people take it personal when one points out a dislike in a gear, most often owned by the offended (offendee? :) ) when it's just an exchange of taste. Many times I've heard the Hero or the KK described as too bright, but I like them themselves. Or I'm immune to treble. But I do hate the buzzing my coffee machine makes while idle :/
I think the offense is taken when those negative opinions are stated as objective facts (and even more so when those opinions are a minority view). I think it’s good to emphasize once again that in this hobby there are as many opinions as headfiers, and only very few facts, when it comes to the perception of sound quality.

With regards to KK and Z1R, which I both own, yes they are bright, but the term itself is not negative. Bright is often read as too bright, which for my ears these IEMs are not, for most music, although the Z1R is borderline for me.

Mar 16, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #83,888 of 88,545
It is definitely my #1 dealbreaker. I wish I could hear that part of the FR differently but at least this gives my wallet some guardrails.
Odin made my eyeballs bleed.

Mar 16, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #83,890 of 88,545
Thanks I appreciate the warm welcome. I've only been exploring iems for about a year and the most expensive thing I've heard is the Dunu SA6 Ultra. Sometimes when I read the posts here it's like everyone is talking of fine dining and I'm pounding my 20 piece McNuggets and nodding my head along to the conversation 🤣

Also, please keep in mind, this is one of the few "general" topic threads on head-fi with high end iem, cable, and dap discussions where people feel comfortable talking about mega kilobuck audio gear without being attacked or shamed for it. And the same people feel comfortable to carry on discussions about discovering budget gems without a pressure to justify 10x price scale up factor of the diminishing returns.

Mar 16, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #83,892 of 88,545
Yep, I feel the same way!

What do you think of Raven?
Raven’s upper mids/lower treble are fine for me. Very occasionally sharp but the set’s excellent warmth and prominent low end counterbalances any upper end difficulties. Raven is such a great IEM in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back